recruiting in Houston

owenfieldreams

Big-12 All American
Sep 8, 2002
galveston tx. usa
delpapabud.com
I hesitate even to ask this question but hopefully those who know me from past participation on this board should know that there is no vicarious intent in my post. As many here are aware, I have lived in the Houston area for close to 30 years. I don't keep up with area recruiting like I used to but yesterday, while attending an advisory board meeting in the city, the owner of the company (a Georgia graduate) asked me if I had heard about an NCAA investigation over a possible violation by Alabama related to the recruitment of junior OL man Gio Pancotti. The young man attends Houston Episcopal H.S. and according to the story, during an NCAA dead period, a teacher or teacher's assistant allegedly allowed an Alabama assistant coach into the classroom where Pancotti was seated.

My friend has children that attend the school and supposedly the NCAA has contacted the administration about it and has plans to question those involved. Rumors like this are a dime a dozen but knowing that many on this board are very knowledgeable about the inner workings of the program, I am curious if there is anything to this or is it just chatter that happens constantly on the recruiting trail?

Lot's of chatter out our way about the likelihood that OU & OSU will be joining the SEC. I do know that the OU administration is extremely frustrated with the University of Texas specifically and the whole situation as it relates to the Big 12 conference. Nothing is likely to happen, one way or the other, until after this year or as media contract renewals come up but there is an undercurrent that is palpable.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Not disputing what you say, but that's not a major violation. I'm not sure why the NCAA would worry about that to the point of starting an investigation.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
I hesitate even to ask this question but hopefully those who know me from past participation on this board should know that there is no vicarious intent in my post. As many here are aware, I have lived in the Houston area for close to 30 years. I don't keep up with area recruiting like I used to but yesterday, while attending an advisory board meeting in the city, the owner of the company (a Georgia graduate) asked me if I had heard about an NCAA investigation over a possible violation by Alabama related to the recruitment of junior OL man Gio Pancotti. The young man attends Houston Episcopal H.S. and according to the story, during an NCAA dead period, a teacher or teacher's assistant allegedly allowed an Alabama assistant coach into the classroom where Pancotti was seated.

My friend has children that attend the school and supposedly the NCAA has contacted the administration about it and has plans to question those involved. Rumors like this are a dime a dozen but knowing that many on this board are very knowledgeable about the inner workings of the program, I am curious if there is anything to this or is it just chatter that happens constantly on the recruiting trail?

Lot's of chatter out our way about the likelihood that OU & OSU will be joining the SEC. I do know that the OU administration is extremely frustrated with the University of Texas specifically and the whole situation as it relates to the Big 12 conference. Nothing is likely to happen, one way or the other, until after this year or as media contract renewals come up but there is an undercurrent that is palpable.
Yeah this kind of thing happens like, daily. Most teams self turn in around 15+ minor violations a year.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Haven't heard this story but considering how intensely we are recruiting in Texas now( does the name Greg Little ring a bell?) the possibility that this might have happened would not surprise me --however I would be surprised if we did it and did not self-report it. Furthermore, as others have indicated it would probably be considered a minor violation and nothing will probably ever come of it.

I would still love to have you guys in the SEC by the way but I just don't see it happening, and I yall can probably thank David Boren for that.

Last edited:

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Regarding the NCAA question, I've heard nothing anywhere. Something like being in a HS classroom, even if 100% accurate, just isn't a big deal.

Would love to have the Sooners in the SEC, and will never understand why they didn't do it after the 2011 season. Why their PTB thought they had to have UTw to succeed, I'll never fathom. You're Oklahoma for crying out loud. You may need the state of Texas for recruiting, but you don't need the horns for anything.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Have no idea about the violations but if true it doesn't sound serious.

No chance of OkState in the SEC though, and slim to none for OU. They made their bed a few years ago when the invitation was issued and they looked down their nose at the SEC.

Unfortunately for the fine fans like you, Owen, I believe OU is stuck with Texas.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
I agree - if it actually happened then minor violation. Self-report, take a 2 week hiatus and all is well.

As far as OU to SEC, I don't understand why they are coming around so late. OU is a great program and would have done well leaving with aTm. That boat has sailed, so...

Too late? I'm not so sure about that unless they hitch their wagon to OSU. I believe the SEC wants to expand in the eastern seaboard first and OU may not get an invite unless conferences go to 18 teams - which is too big in my book. Until and unless the Big12 solves the equity problem it will never be a strong and stable conference. I don't look for UT to change, though.

At any rate, you should come around more often with less talk of NCAA potential trouble rumors from rival fans.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
I think Bama self reported some minor violations w/in the last week or so. Unknown if this may have been one of them.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I think Bama self reported some minor violations w/in the last week or so. Unknown if this may have been one of them.
Not mentioned in this article about the violations.

Football: A player promoted/endorsed a commercial product through social media. The player was declared ineligible before being reinstated by the NCAA. Rules education was provided to the entire staff and team.

Football: A player received an over-award of scholarship money due to a computer entry error, which was discovered after a routine audit following the semester. The player was declared ineligible before being reinstated by the NCAA. A real-time audit process was implemented. The player was required to repay the over-award amount. A letter of admonishment was sent to the responsible staff member.

Football: A player's friend sold complimentary tickets to a game after asking the player to include her friends on his pass list. The player was declared ineligible before being reinstated by the NCAA. The friend and her friends were banned from receiving complimentary admission to any future games.

Football: A player received aid and practiced with the team before later being deemed to have been a non-qualifier. The player's scholarship was revoked, he was ruled ineligible and must seek reinstatement. Freshman running back DeSherrius Flowerswas ruled ineligible in June after participating in the Tide's spring practice due to a "recently discovered eligibility issue."

Football: An assistant coach inadvertently responded to a text message from a recruit. Rules education was provided to the entire coaching staff concerning permissible electronic communications. The coach at fault was prohibited from calling any recruits for two weeks. Alabama was not allowed to make contact with the recruit for 30 days.

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
I really don't see any advantage of OU in the SEC. With expansion you want to increase your footprint in the media and expand your recruiting area. OU does neither for us like A&M and Mizzou did. We're already well into Texas, which is OU's big recruiting grounds, so what's the gain for the SEC? I would expect us to look towards Virginia and North Carolina for future expansion.

Gotta remember, CFB is big business these days.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.