Reporters Pick Auburn To Win SEC But Alabama To Win The West.....

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Yeah but the thing is this - how could ANY voter with a brain pick Auburn to win the SEC which means you MUST WIN THE CHAMPIONSHIP GAME AS THE WEST REPRESENTATIVE.......how could that same voter possibly pick Alabama to win the West?

The national ranking I get. After all, Auburn could conceivably lose four OOC games but if they beat us and that was the only one we lost, we'd be in the top five and they'd be about 18 or so with four losses.

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
It's the point system. That's all.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus RTR
Exactly.

The ones that pick Auburn to win the SEC also pick them to win the west. There are some that pick auburn to come in at the lower end of the SEC and West while more of the unanimous vote for Bama to be a top contender without actually winning the SEC.

If you look at a breakdown of the votes it's much more clear.

Edit- the link doesn't show how many voted auburn 4th or 5th in the West or Alabama 2nd or 3rd, so it seems contradictory.

Last edited:

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004
Very little else makes sense in polling, so it seems about right. We'll probably have something crazy like a 3 loss Baylor in the playoff this year, "because they deserve it"

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Very understandable to me. With the iron bowl in Auburn this yr, Saban and Bama both with a losing record in JHS, and the Tigers expected to be very good, why wouldn't the smart money be on them to win the conference?

Last edited:

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
I love Allbarn having high expectations. Pressure and a nice big target on their backs. They historically don't perform as well in those circumstances. That really won't have a bearing on this year, but still...makes me feel better. :cool:

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
So how would we win the West in this scenario? I think you missed the point.
It's not possible for us to win the SECW and the barn to win the conference.

It is mathematically possible, but not likely, that we could lose in Jordan-Hare and still be in the SECCG. In fact, if UGA had just knocked the ball down two weeks before, this would have been the scenario in 2013, and the kick six would have been a mildly interesting footnote.

The barn has 2 or more conference losses than we do heading into Jordan-Hare. Everybody else in the SECW has cannibalized each other, and nobody other than us has a record better than the Barn. The boogs win, but still have one more loss than we do. As does everybody else in the SECW. We go to the SECCG.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Very understandable to me. With the iron bowl in Auburn this yr, Saban and Bama both with a losing record in JHS, and the Tigers expected to be very good, why wouldn't the smart money be on them to win the conference?
Saban at Bama has a 2-2 record with one loss being his first year at Bama and the other being the exasperating and flukey loss in 2013. The bottom line is that Bama has won 2 of the last 3 in J-H, could easily be 3 in a row. Bama is a great road team.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Posted in the thread with the projections...

Another explanation from former Alabama beat writer Gentry Estes...

@Gentry_Estes Auburn got 108 first-place votes in West to Bama's 92, but those voting Bama No. 1 had Auburn lower than those voting Auburn No. 1 had Bama.
As others have said, it's simple. 108 media members gave Auburn first-place votes while only 92 voted Alabama first. However, those that did not vote Auburn first had to vote them lower in the West, which brought their total number of points down.

The media's thoughts on the two teams appear to go like this:

Alabama - either win the division and conference or finish second in the West.
Auburn - either win the division and conference or have another decent season like 2014 and finish fourth in the West.

Posted in the thread with the projections...

As others have said, it's simple. 108 media members gave Auburn first-place votes while only 92 voted Alabama first. However, those that did not vote Auburn first had to vote them lower in the West, which brought their total number of points down.

The media's thoughts on the two teams appear to go like this:

Alabama - either win the division and conference or finish second in the West.
Auburn - either win the division and conference or have another decent season like 2014 and finish fourth in the West.
That's the way I see it as well. I still hope they revert back to a 3 or 4 win season.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus RTR

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.