One Guy's Opinion About a Middle Ground with the 2nd Amendment

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
i personally think that if you are going to carry a gun in public, you should have to show proficiency to get a license.

i also have a problem with open carry in public places. i realize there are some that because of their jobs (carrying cash, etc) have a need to do this, but i see too many folks strutting around the grocery store with a gun on their hip.

i realize the devil is in the details (regs, etc), but imo, it is far too easy for people who have no business having guns to get lots and lots of guns and lots and lots of ammo.

i also don't really care what people keep in their homes for protection, recreation, etc. its when people who have no business doing so start toting stuff in public that i have a problem.
Agreed. I am one of those who, for unspoken reasons, have an absolute need to carry on some days and in certain locations. There are some locations though that restrict people from carrying in their establishment. Virtually all of these have a high concentration of customers with small children, so in those instances I always obey their wishes.

Otoh, I don't feel the need to carry a weapon around in public. I am secure enough in my own awareness and self defense abilities that I don't have to display a deadly weapon as well.
Make no mistake. I have the weapons, and I have the permits. I just don't feel the need.

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007
Agreed. I am one of those who, for unspoken reasons, have an absolute need to carry on some days and in certain locations. There are some locations though that restrict people from carrying in their establishment. Virtually all of these have a high concentration of customers with small children, so in those instances I always obey their wishes.

Otoh, I don't feel the need to carry a weapon around in public. I am secure enough in my own awareness and self defense abilities that I don't have to display a deadly weapon as well.
Make no mistake. I have the weapons, and I have the permits. I just don't feel the need.
LIKE! That is exactly my feeling. But I still don't want the government deciding that I can't.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I think we should also have laws on the books that charge the gun owner with a crime if they leave their gun lying around and a child gets it - we have far too many injuries and deaths every year due to careless gun owners leaving their firearms unlocked. I'm a gun enthusiast but if I am not carrying it, it's locked up.
agreed

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

we need the like button back

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009

I do take issue with his silencer/suppressor comment. "There is no reason anyone outside of law enforcement or the military needs one except to kill people without attracting attention." A gunshot registers between 140-170 decibels (depending on the round you are shooting). The absolute best suppressors take that down to around 115-120 decibels, which is the equivalent of standing near heavy equipment as it operates. The movie/TV versions of suppressors don't exist.

Suppressing sound in a lot of cases is just being neighborly. There is a chert pit where I go shoot. The owner of the land has no problem with me doing it because I agreed to keep the sound down.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Suppressing sound in a lot of cases is just being neighborly. There is a chert pit where I go shoot. The owner of the land has no problem with me doing it because I agreed to keep the sound down.
Right. My issue is with the "without attracting attention" piece. That makes it seems like no one would hear the report of the gunshot, which is not accurate.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Personally, I believe there should be reasonable limits to the 2A. The devil is in "what is reasonable". Personally, I think an American citizen has the right to own, and carry, a firearm unless deemed unfit. And the definition of unfit is yet another sticking point. But in general, if you are a mentally competent citizen, without violent crime convictions, I think that person should be able to carry a concealed weapon. I think being able to exhibit at least basic competence and understanding of when deadly force is appropriate, are reasonable qualifications. I definitely agree with the "shall issue" rule. Unless there is a very good reason, a person's 2A rights should not be denied.

That said, walking around with a machine gun seems excessive to me.
I pretty much agree with this. I do wish some people would use more common sense about open carry. I'm thinking of the soldier who got arrested in a store, carrying his carbine. Most of the people I know from Texas, who are also 2A people, who think that some extremists derailed open carry in TX. I also agree there has to be some limit on the kind of weapons civilians carry. I can defend myself adequately with the 9mm sitting on my hip, my AR-15, 30 round mag, sitting beside my bed, with my shotgun nearby. I don't need an RPG or machine gun...

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I pretty much agree with this. I do wish some people would use more common sense about open carry. I'm thinking of the soldier who got arrested in a store, carrying his carbine. Most of the people I know from Texas, who are also 2A people, who think that some extremists derailed open carry in TX. I also agree there has to be some limit on the kind of weapons civilians carry. I can defend myself adequately with the 9mm sitting on my hip, my AR-15, 30 round mag, sitting beside my bed, with my shotgun nearby. I don't need an RPG or machine gun...
Sort of make you wonder what this fellow (the one with the RPG) was thinking.

1. The "target" appears to be within the arming distance of the warhead.
2. If RPG-toter fires and even if the warhead should arm, I believe the RPG gunner, and all his buddies are within the blast radius of the warhead.

Last edited:

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
I think one solution may be in the prosecution of laws rather than eliminating the right to carry. For instance: A person may carry in public but should be as responsible as someone operating a motor vehicle. Each is responsible for their actions and any harm to others that their actions may cause.
You drive drunk and cause a collision that harms an innocent party, you go to prison.
You carry a firearm and have an accident that results in harm to another, you go to prison.
But you don't take away people's rights to own and operate motor vehicles just because a few disregard the safety of others. Neither should you take away people's rights to own and carry firearms just because a few use that right in an irresponsible manner.

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
"Adopt RULES that make it harder for CRIMINALS and the MENTALLY ILL to obtain firearms."

Yeah, thats a sure winner because we all know that neither group would break a RULE, don't we?

:rolleye2:

Last edited:

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Personally I feel much better when a well vetted person buys a fully capable AK47 through regulated channels than when some yahoo walks into a gun show and walks out with an untraceable firearm of any kind.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Personally I feel much better when a well vetted person buys a fully capable AK47 through regulated channels than when some yahoo walks into a gun show and walks out with an untraceable firearm of any kind.
On the flip side, even a well-vetted person can become a yahoo at some point.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Sort of make you wonder what this fellow (the one with the RPG) was thinking.

1. The "target" appears to be within the arming distance of the warhead.
2. If RPG-toter fires and even if the warhead should arm, I believe the RPG gunner, and all his buddies are within the blast radius of the warhead.
"Tough guys" who are anxious to die for the cause so they can move on to virgins who are unaware of just how small their junk is. OTOH, they're afraid to show their faces. Must be some exclusion from heaven for those who get killed by a drone...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I think one solution may be in the prosecution of laws rather than eliminating the right to carry. For instance: A person may carry in public but should be as responsible as someone operating a motor vehicle. Each is responsible for their actions and any harm to others that their actions may cause.
You drive drunk and cause a collision that harms an innocent party, you go to prison.
You carry a firearm and have an accident that results in harm to another, you go to prison.
But you don't take away people's rights to own and operate motor vehicles just because a few disregard the safety of others. Neither should you take away people's rights to own and carry firearms just because a few use that right in an irresponsible manner.
Oh, I agree. I just wish more would think about the downstream consequences of exercising their rights. That wasn't done in Texas and it backfired on the whole 2A movement...

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
"Tough guys" who are anxious to die for the cause so they can move on to virgins who are unaware of just how small their junk is. OTOH, they're afraid to show their faces. Must be some exclusion from heaven for those who get killed by a drone...
I'm not sure these dudes were ideologically (or religiously) driven, just, "Hey, let's go grab a gringo and see if we can get a ransom for him" type of guys.

Probably the same level of thought that went into this guy's attire.

You know, life preserver.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.