Are Trolls Winning Battle for Internet? Former Reddit CEO Thinks So

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Perhaps.....but maybe there is a difference in debate.....and snark.....it's the snark that turns most people off.....
Unfortunately, one man's "snark" is another's biting wit. People frequently just don't get that their black and white print totally fails to convey a wink or a nudge, so it's best just to stay well back away from the line. When it goes over the line, then it's up to staff to clean it up. If you want to discuss staff policy with me, PM me. We don't do it on the forums - site rule across the board...

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Unfortunately, one man's "snark" is another's biting wit. People frequently just don't get that their black and white print totally fails to convey a wink or a nudge, so it's best just to stay well back away from the line. When it goes over the line, then it's up to staff to clean it up. If you want to discuss staff policy with me, PM me. We don't do it on the forums - site rule across the board...
Thanks Earle. No real need for a PM....not critiquing staff policy....just observing the goings on....I think I have a pretty good idea about the rules....and the policies....

I also usually take my spankings when I go over the line with genuine and sincere appreciation for my actions..... ;)

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Trolls don't stay long around here (that blitz guy notwithstanding). This post was not about anything on Tidefans. I felt like the author was at least in part trying to garner sympathy by applying the troll label to her foes, but despite that she is partially right. I am fairly careful about limiting where I go because of trolls and the like. But it wasn't about the former CEO nor was it about Tidefans. I know it's gone different directions, but still...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Trolls don't stay long around here (that blitz guy notwithstanding). This post was not about anything on Tidefans. I felt like the author was at least in part trying to garner sympathy by applying the troll label to her foes, but despite that she is partially right. I am fairly careful about limiting where I go because of trolls and the like. But it wasn't about the former CEO nor was it about Tidefans. I know it's gone different directions, but still...
There was a lengthy piece on one of the radio programs about a woman who had been seriously trolled, death threats and all the rest. She tracked him down and outed him. He finally called her and wanted to meet and they did. Odd thing was it wasn't something he had a history of. He had just taken a dislike to some of her public stances and one step led to another. He apologized and professed deep shame for what he'd done and didn't even really understand why he'd done it. They became friends of a sort...

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
There was a lengthy piece on one of the radio programs about a woman who had been seriously trolled, death threats and all the rest. She tracked him down and outed him. He finally called her and wanted to meet and they did. Odd thing was it wasn't something he had a history of. He had just taken a dislike to some of her public stances and one step led to another. He apologized and professed deep shame for what he'd done and didn't even really understand why he'd done it. They became friends of a sort...
That's bad, but it's good she got angry and fought back I guess. Fascinating how people act when they are veiled vs revealed.

The worst has to be the "swatting" phenomenon. It's a very dangerous game. So much worse than the classic troll who just tries to get a rise out of people and push buttons. They are bad enough, but these folks making threats and sending swat team into potentially deadly situations are almost unbelieveable in the disconnect a normal person would have to live in to do that. Seems like some don't see others on the internet as real people that can suffer real harm.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.