Link: Opinion: Les Miles' Stance On Johnathan Taylor Is Hypocritical

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Click

Les Miles said that he wouldn’t have taken former Georgia and Alabama defensive tackle Johnathan Taylor; because Les Miles is a stand up guy right?

Les Miles gave CBS a diatribe about all the reasons that Johnathan Taylor was a scumbag and he didn’t want him at LSU. Miles all but called the guy a liar.

I’m not defending Johnathan Taylor, but coming from Les Miles there’s only one word for this… hypocrite.

Well first off LSU did want him, they stayed in contact with his attorney about his case according to Tiger Sports Digest. But let’s just put Taylor aside, what about the other players with similar misconduct that LSU has taken or kept?

LSU took Zach Mettenberger even though he had not only been charged, but plead guilty to two counts of sexual battery.

What about when LSU Quarterback Jordan Jefferson kicked a Marine in the head?

Or the ultimate example, running back Jeremy Hill. Jeremey Hill came to LSU after he pled guilty to “carnal knowledge” of an under age young woman.
If you just want to read what he said at media days, here's that story.

LSU coach Les Miles said Thursday he recruited defensive tackle Jonathan Taylor last winter but opted against signing him due to his pending felony assault charge for choking and hitting his girlfriend in Georgia.

Taylor, who was dismissed at Georgia after the arrest in Athens, became a key reason the SEC created a new transfer rule. Unless they get a waiver, SEC schools can't add a player who was dismissed by another team for serious misconduct against a woman. Alabama signed Taylor in January and dismissed him in April after another domestic violence arrest in Tuscaloosa, Ala.

“We had the same opportunity with the kid that went to Alabama and we said no, and we said no because there was another woman that said this guy did it so the likelihood of him being honest about being lied against twice is probably not true,” Miles told CBSSports.com at the 2015 SEC Media Days. “Where there's smoke there's fire. There's too many of these women coming out say this guy smacks women around so we said no, we don't want any part of it.”

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
I don't find fault with what Miles actually said. We were wrong to take Taylor. To twist what was said is similar to words being put in Saban's mouth over the NFL draft grade issue.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I don't find fault with what Miles actually said. We were wrong to take Taylor. To twist what was said is similar to words being put in Saban's mouth over the NFL draft grade issue.
I guess you're right. He did say this:

But for instance for me, I asked these questions (of Taylor): ‘Is (the legal process) completed? Is your entanglement done?' ‘No.'
Guess he only signed Zach Mettenberger after he plead guilty to two misdemeanor counts of sexual battery. Wouldn't want to sign a guy if that case was still ongoing.

And then Les wants to take a shot like this?

“That's not how (Alabama) did. They took him with that hanging over their head because they got the same story I got: ‘Oh, it didn't happen, I was just mad at the time.' The second time? ‘Oh, that didn't happen either.'”

The woman who accused Taylor in the Tuscaloosa arrest later recanted her accusations and told police she was trying to get revenge against Taylor for cheating on her. Taylor told ESPN.com this week he wishes Alabama had waited before releasing him and thanked Saban for giving him another chance.
Really?

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
My opinion is that we should not have taken Taylor to start with, but credit to CNS for quickly dismissing him when the second incident happened. As for Miles' comments, his previous actions speak louder than his words.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
My opinion is that we should not have taken Taylor to start with, but credit to CNS for quickly dismissing him when the second incident happened. As for Miles' comments, his previous actions speak louder than his words.
This isn't about if Alabama should have taken Taylor or not. This is about Les Miles spewing some bullcrap comments while taking shots at Alabama and being a complete hypocrite based on his past.

im4uainva

All-SEC
Jul 3, 2011
Charlottesville, Va
Unless I am mistaken...didn't the second 'victim' recant her accusation? If so, regardless of the first 'incident', an injustice was created based on a lie. I don't condone violence against anyone, neither do I condone bearing false witness, especially with the sole intent of harming another individual. JT was punished because of a vindictive, mean-spirited liar. Because of a previous misconduct, he was not given the chance to defend himself against a bald-faced lie. Or, as I said, am I mistaken? If so, please allow me to return to the back of the room and observe. With apologies to all.

Roll Tide!

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
...except there was no second incident. The girl recanted and admitted she lied about it because she was mad. It was unjust to kick Taylor out of school (not just off the team) because of a lie. Should he have been admitted in the first place? Perhaps not, but once he's in kicking him out due to a lie is wrong.

To me, it seems worse than LSU took ZM when he was guilty of the crime vs. JT still being in due process (I haven't found what the conclusion of that was, by the way).

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
The woman did recant her story but the hole punched in the wall could not be taken back. Point being, the guy needs to learn to control his emotions better especially when it comes to women. Back on topic, Les has made missteps and should choose his words more carefully when speaking of other coaches but in this case he's right.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Just about every coach has one of these players in their past. Miles is just nuts enough to think that he can say something like this and not have those skeletons exposed.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
This isn't about if Alabama should have taken Taylor or not. This is about Les Miles spewing some bullcrap comments while taking shots at Alabama and being a complete hypocrite based on his past.
Read my last sentence about Miles, yes his comments were hypocritical.

I realize the accuser was lying about Taylor's assault. I still feel CNS acted properly by dismissing him to remove any doubt that he would condone any behavior remotely resembling domestic violence.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Read my last sentence about Miles, yes his comments were hypocritical.

I realize the accuser was lying about Taylor's assault. I still feel CNS acted properly by dismissing him to remove any doubt that he would condone any behavior remotely resembling domestic violence.
My post was not solely directed at you, Gray. Just trying to avoid this thread going down the road every other one that mentioned JT's name did.

rolltide7854

All-American
Aug 20, 2007
Birmingham, Ala
[video=youtube;Cg5M1evffhw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Cg5M1evffhw[/video]

Jeremy Hill says Hi, Les. Lets have another vote.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
So, with Taylor did Miles let the team take a vote? That's how he handles discipline issues from what I've seen.

Cowzrul

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 13, 2009
The woman did recant her story but the hole punched in the wall could not be taken back. Point being, the guy needs to learn to control his emotions better especially when it comes to women. Back on topic, Les has made missteps and should choose his words more carefully when speaking of other coaches but in this case he's right.
From a legal perspective, simply punching the hole in the wall is enough to get him convicted of domestic violence. You don't have to actually touch a woman to get convicted on domestic violence charges. Unwanted communications (texts/calls), any sort of threatening behavior or damaging property (punching a hole in a wall, breaking woman's property), etc., are all forms of domestic violence, and if you get convicted of these misdemeanor forms of domestic violence your life is basically ruined, and I don't think very many people are aware of this. If this woman had told the truth and simply said that she was threatened by him punching the hole in the wall, he could have easily been convicted of something like 3rd degree misdemeanor domestic violence assault, and while the fine/prison time for that would be relatively minor, even a misdemeanor domestic violence conviction will haunt a guy for life - if children are involved you'll probably never see them again, can never own a firearm, can't hold a security clearance, etc.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

LSU reinstates player with domestic abuse case pending

This isn't going to go over well.

LSU announced in late May that it had suspended offensive lineman Jevonte Domond after he was arrested for allegedly assaulting his girlfriend. Domond's girlfriend alleged at the time that she was "choked and battered during a heated argument" with him.

Now Les Miles says that Domond has been reinstated to the team for the start of fall camp even though the charges in Domond's case are still pending.

"He's in position to compete to play," Miles told the media on Wednesday. "We're letting the disposition of whatever entanglement he's involved in run its course. He's not suspended."

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.