Link: Cowherd gone from ESPN

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Cost cutting. They were down the largest % of subscribers last quarter as they have been in many many years. A lot of folks are cutting the cord and ESPN costs each cable subscriber $6/month just for the ESPN channels. When folks cut the cord ESPN losses out big. If I remember the article correctly ESPN is trying to cut about $250 million in costs by 2017. Here's the article. Very interesting article on the financial side of the worldwide leader..
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...-is-making-espn-do-some-serious-cost-cutting/
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bamablood6

1st Team
Mar 27, 2006
Phyllis is going to be heart broken.

Crazy thing is, I rarely watch/see Finebum or never listened to him. Lived in places that I couldn't even if I had wanted to. Now living in HAWAII-yes all the way in Hawaii, its funny. At my physical Therapy, the PTA's are big sports fans. I told them I was a Bama Alumni and big fan. So a couple of them started to say Roll Tide to me all the time--and these guys are lifelong Hawaii residents.

So one day, they started talking and making fun of Phyllis. I was like who? They said on the Finebaum show...I was like oh no, and I am thinking to myself, she must be embarrassment for the Great State of Alabama and Bama fans alike because I don't watch Finebum enough to know what she said--but they did and were making fun of her. But they said she was calling Cowherd, ....... and she really hated Cowherd. They laughed and said she also says Saban is a God!

So now the PTA's will come to me and say, ......., or Saban is a God, with the occasional Roll Tide. So that is why I know Phyllis will be heartbroken along with my PTAs.

It is just funny having to hear about Finebum and Phyllis all the way in Hawaii.

By the way, one of the PTA's is a Bama fan, and has lived his entire life in Hawaii.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
I actually enjoy listening to Cowherd's take on things - I don't get the same level of thought process from other analyst/commentators.

But if he's yakking away about NBA stuff - I'm not interested. College football - yeah I'm in.

I don't tune into any sports program on a regular basis. None. I tend to surf around until I find something of interest - the topic being the primary factor that interests me.

99% of the time it's from ESPN Radio - not the TV program, as I'm running around in my work truck.

IMHO, ESPN hasn't been very good in many years....I'm just thankful we now have SECN!

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
I haven't heard him in quite a long time, but back when, other than when he harshly criticized CNS for coming to Bama, I enjoyed listening him. I hope I get the chance to hear him on a new network.

bamatex82

All-SEC
Oct 5, 2001
Greenville, TX
I don't always agree with Cowherd, but he always backs up what he is saying with some form of logic. On that I do appreciate him. Which is a lot more than I can say about some other commentators. I just wished he would keep his mouth shut when it came to social issues and politics. That's when a really roll my eyes. He becomes really a arrogant wind bag then. Like I said, I can take it when he is commenting on sports, but his schtick on those issues is really, really wearisome.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Cost cutting. They were down the largest % of subscribers last quarter as they have been in many many years. A lot of folks are cutting the cord and ESPN costs each cable subscriber $6/month just for the ESPN channels. When folks cut the cord ESPN losses out big. If I remember the article correctly ESPN is trying to cut about $250 million in costs by 2017. Here's the article. Very interesting article on the financial side of the worldwide leader..
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...-is-making-espn-do-some-serious-cost-cutting/
Do you mean people who drop cable or satellite bring down the overall ESPN subscribers? Wouldn't that also bring down the TNT, USA and other networks?

I went to the antenna two years ago and DO NOT miss the $90 satellite bill. I do miss ESPN, Fox1 and CBSN but not $90 worth. I would not go back to satellite or cable unless they got really cheap. Of course I get the local CBS SEC games and ABC, Fox and the Notre Dame Broadcasting Corporation.

Also keep up with the games on the internet. My son-in-law does not see how I survive without watching all those cable games. I have no problem with it.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Do you mean people who drop cable or satellite bring down the overall ESPN subscribers? Wouldn't that also bring down the TNT, USA and other networks?

I went to the antenna two years ago and DO NOT miss the $90 satellite bill. I do miss ESPN, Fox1 and CBSN but not $90 worth. I would not go back to satellite or cable unless they got really cheap. Of course I get the local CBS SEC games and ABC, Fox and the Notre Dame Broadcasting Corporation.

Also keep up with the games on the internet. My son-in-law does not see how I survive without watching all those cable games. I have no problem with it.
Yes. I meant cable or satellite. ESPN gets about $6/month from every cable/satellite subscriber. That's the largest amount by far. TNT and the other "big" channels get between $1-$2 for every subscriber. When people drop cable/satellite it hits ESPN the hardest..

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
I kind of liked him. I just never took anything he said personal about Alabama or Coach Saban. He talked about different stuff that I just can't hear around here on local sports talk radio. Now Danny Kanell on the other hand, can't stand him.

tidegrandpa

All-American
I kind of liked him. I just never took anything he said personal about Alabama or Coach Saban. He talked about different stuff that I just can't hear around here on local sports talk radio. Now Danny Kanell on the other hand, can't stand him.
Add Jessie Palmer, I swear if the undertaker gives that boy an enema upon death, they could bury him in a match box.

TrueCrimson7

All-American
Sep 21, 2014
USA
I never felt like Cowherd truly believed what he was saying...just always going for the drama/ratings. I know they all do in that business, but he seemed to take it to another level. I'd rather have a bland personality that speaks from the heart. This is an upgrade for ESPN.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.