"cheating website" Ashley Madison hacked, users outed (DO NOT POST LIST OR LINK!)

AV8N

1st Team
Sep 18, 2013
Re: "cheating website" Ashley Madison hacked, users outed (DO NOT POST LIST OR LINK!)

I don't doubt that, but I don't want to risk a libel suit by someone who was set up...
To be clear, I'm not advocating linking to the lists or anything. While schadenfreude is in overdrive at the news that certain public figures were listed, and some have even fessed up, I don't think there needs to be a witch hunt.

I do wish I could trademark the phrase "but I didn't actually have an affair", as it has been used quite a bit by the aforementioned public figures and likely the lesser known subscribers as well.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Re: "cheating website" Ashley Madison hacked, users outed (DO NOT POST LIST OR LINK!)

Just a couple of random thoughts about the registration process:

1. Alabama has the most users. One theory being it's the first state listed. Wouldn't most want to find users nearby if they wanted to actually do anything other than online talking?
2. Fake e-mails sound great, but no user thought about the website sending a "verify your account e-mail?" I can see no one at AM thinking about sending those since they only cared about the money. Users, OTOH, should have expected it.
That Alabama would have the most users is a signal that a lot of the accounts are probably fake, just using the default on a dropdown box for the state in an address.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL

That Alabama would have the most users is a signal that a lot of the accounts are probably fake, just using the default on a dropdown box for the state in an address.
Actually, the figure is "dollars spent per capita" so that changes everything. I guess Alabama has a few big spenders and not so many users.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

I've seen the list. There's addresses to go with everyone of them, which knocks out the theory of Alabama having the most users based on it being the first state in the dropdown menu.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL

I've seen the list. There's addresses to go with everyone of them, which knocks out the theory of Alabama having the most users based on it being the first state in the dropdown menu.
You're, of course, assuming the addresses aren't fake as well.

It's not like sites like that pay the USPS for access to the address search API and verify addresses.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL

There were what, 37,000,000 users? The leaked Alabama list only had 2,928 people on it. That doesn't sound like a whole lot.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL

Actually, the figure is "dollars spent per capita" so that changes everything. I guess Alabama has a few big spenders and not so many users.
One of the biggest spenders in the entire state according to that list is a female who lives in Muscle Shoals. :eek:

Edited to add:

2,928 Alabama citizens spent at total of $1,741,870 dollars on Ashley Madison

Out of a state of 4,849,377, that equals out to about $.36 per person. I don't know where this graphic came from, but it doesn't appear to be anywhere near right.

Last edited:

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL

The current, quickly revised, theory is that Alabama doesn't actually have the most users.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee

One of the biggest spenders in the entire state according to that list is a female who lives in Muscle Shoals. :eek:

Edited to add:

2,928 Alabama citizens spent at total of $1,741,870 dollars on Ashley Madison

Out of a state of 4,849,377, that equals out to about $2.80 per person. I don't know where this graphic came from, but it doesn't appear to be anywhere near right.
You might want to check your math. :wink:

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Re: "cheating website" Ashley Madison hacked, 36 Million users to be outed

Men are dogs no doubt but like dogs there are different breeds. My wife who I have been married to over thirty years I rather die then do something like this to her. No I don't feel no remorse for these scum of the earth people.
Watching the news over the weekend, a female reporter kept saying millions of women across the country were anxiously waiting to see if their guys name was on the list. She seemed to have forgotten a few women (millions maybe?) had to be involved.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham

One more interesting stat: There are only three zip codes in all of the U.S. that had no registered users.

Nikolai, Alaska (Zip 99691)
Perryville, Alaska (Zip 99648)
Polvadera, NM (Zip 87828)

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/were-only-3-zip-codes-175956661.html
Not surprisingly...

Nikolai, Alaska (99691) — Population: 94 (2010 Census) Most of the residents of Nikolai are indigenous Alaskans, according to Gawker, and the town can dip to 60 below zero in the winter.

Perryville, Alaska (99648) — Population: 113 (2010 Census)

When Gawker asked a local why no one in her town was on Ashley Madison, she replied that there was maybe only 10 households in the entire town that had internet. This town is also predominantly indigenous Alaskan.

Polvadera, New Mexico (87828) — Population: 269 (2010 Census)

An employee at the county clerk’s office told Gawker that there probably was no one on Ashley Madison because you can't get reception in that area, which is about 4 square miles of rural peace.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

Besides, in Alaska there's ALWAYS Bristol Palin....

(Was that over the line?)

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Besides, in Alaska there's ALWAYS Bristol Palin....

(Was that over the line?)
Not forbidden here, by any means. She's made herself fair game, anyway. I continue to believe that the address list is totally rotten. Most of the ones who listed Alabama probably did so because they thought it was the least likely state anyone would place them in. A site like this is not going to check them. All they care about is if the card clears...

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Didn't the hackers take credit card information? Couldn't they then compare the billing address with the address given for the profile?

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham

Didn't the hackers take credit card information? Couldn't they then compare the billing address with the address given for the profile?
There are 37 million accounts. That's a lot of cross-checking. Why would the hackers even care which used legit names, addresses, etc. I think they were happy to put the info out there and let the chips fall where they may.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

They could compare to see if they match. I'm not sure why they'd want to go through millions to do that. Some thieves collecting the info, or to whom they've sold, might. You can't locate an address just by having a card number. Many other databases would have to be hacked. Also, I'd point out that these hackers were just after embarrassment and notoriety. If they'd been intent on larceny, this info would have been sold to any number of Russian/Eastern Europe groups specializing in this. By doing what they did, these card numbers no longer have any commercial value at all. So, nothing so far shows that Alabama is the top cheating state and that those addresses are good...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.