*** RB BJ Emmons Signs With Alabama ***

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Re: *** RB BJ Emmons Commits to Alabama ***

Solid pick-up here. We needed to add a back, and Emmons is a quality addition. We'll look for one more as well.

Emmons is kind of a strange prospect, I find. Based solely on physical build, you would assume he's a powerful, bruising runner, but when you watch the videos on him he actually runs like more of a scat back. Lot of movement in the open field and really not a lot of plowing through tacklers like you would expect of someone of his build. That's not a knock on him, mind you, but it is fair to point out that he won't be able to do that to anywhere near the same degree at the next level, and in the college game in order to play at a high level he is going to have to play to a style that is much more fitting with his current build and frame.

In the pass game, I haven't seen a single clip of him as a blocker or a reference to him catching any balls out of the backfield, so I would assume that will likely require a lot of work to get him up to par on that front. Combined with the above, I would normally say he is someone who probably wouldn't play as a freshman and who may even redshirt, but given our depth issues at tailback, you have to figure he has a good chance to get on the field in some capacity in 2016.

Will say that the overall agility and fluidity of hip movement that he has is really rare for someone of his size. He will have to transition his playing style in a lot of ways, as touched on above, but if he will put in the work and if he can stay healthy he could be a special player.

Tider@GW_Law

All-American
Sep 16, 2007
Sacramento, CA

Just watched the highlights. A couple of thoughts he has great feet and accelerates through the hole as good as I have seen in a while. He will be fun to watch providing he sticks, our friends in orange to the north will still likely push hard for him and who can blame them. Not trying to sound negative but we all know recruiting is a crazy thing and it is a long way until February.
I was curious as to why he only had a couple special teams clips. You would think he'd be a demon as a returner. Maybe he's not their regular return man or other teams kick away from him?

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007

Solid pick-up here. We needed to add a back, and Emmons is a quality addition. We'll look for one more as well.

Emmons is kind of a strange prospect, I find. Based solely on physical build, you would assume he's a powerful, bruising runner, but when you watch the videos on him he actually runs like more of a scat back. Lot of movement in the open field and really not a lot of plowing through tacklers like you would expect of someone of his build. That's not a knock on him, mind you, but it is fair to point out that he won't be able to do that to anywhere near the same degree at the next level, and in the college game in order to play at a high level he is going to have to play to a style that is much more fitting with his current build and frame.

In the pass game, I haven't seen a single clip of him as a blocker or a reference to him catching any balls out of the backfield, so I would assume that will likely require a lot of work to get him up to par on that front. Combined with the above, I would normally say he is someone who probably wouldn't play as a freshman and who may even redshirt, but given our depth issues at tailback, you have to figure he has a good chance to get on the field in some capacity in 2016.

Will say that the overall agility and fluidity of hip movement that he has is really rare for someone of his size. He will have to transition his playing style in a lot of ways, as touched on above, but if he will put in the work and if he can stay healthy he could be a special player.
According to his coach he has great hands. He looks like a special back to me, could become the best of Saban's tenure. Great feet, at least good vision, tremendous agility for size, good quickness and almost perfect size. If he can put on 5 or 10 more pounds without losing anything and run a bit more like a power back, on which the staff will likely insist, he can be very special. In any case, a great pickup.

2017 with the addition of N. Harris, that might be the greatest trio (including D. Harris) of backs Bama has seen. I realize not one has played a down of college football, so I'm jumping the gun, but whew :).

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL

According to his coach he has great hands. He looks like a special back to me, could become the best of Saban's tenure. Great feet, at least good vision, tremendous agility for size, good quickness and almost perfect size. If he can put on 5 or 10 more pounds without losing anything and run a bit more like a power back, on which the staff will likely insist, he can be very special. In any case, a great pickup.

2017 with the addition of N. Harris, that might be the greatest trio (including D. Harris) of backs Bama has seen. I realize not one has played a down of college football, so I'm jumping the gun, but whew :).
Come on now.

Ingram, Richardson & Lacy all finished in the all time top 8 for single season rushing yards.

They also all finished in the all time top 5 for single season rushing touchdowns.

So yeah, you might be jumping the gun just a little bit.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Come on now.

Ingram, Richardson & Lacy all finished in the all time top 8 for single season rushing yards.

They also all finished in the all time top 5 for single season rushing touchdowns.

Shh... It's TideFans tradition to talk some major hyperbole about a recruit after he commits.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham

Come on now.

Where is McCarron on that list? John Parker Wilson is on there.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Shh... It's TideFans tradition to talk some major hyperbole about a recruit after he commits.
Could easily be wrong, but not even minor hyperbole 😊. These are 3 great looking backs to have on one's roster simultaneously, if they even make it to school whole.

Just offering an honest opinion, however wrong it may turn out to be.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Re: *** 2016 4* RB BJ Emmons Commits to Bama ****

This happened in Oct of 2014 and I'm sure everyone recruiting him was well aware of the incident. Not unusual for a high school kid to some some pot. I'm sure he learned his lesson and our staff was confident he did.
He's a kid, sure. But this happened in the middle of last football season, not the last century, and he is a small-town football star. So his judgment becomes an issue. Lack of judgment has left us short-handed at running back because we recruited talent and ignored character. And I wonder if we would be so cavalier over youthful faux pas if our young star in the making had committed to Auburn or Tennessee. Georgia appears to have stopped recruiting him. Wonder why? At the very least, we should consider this a reminder that we all recruit the same kids, and sometimes those involve risks.

Good luck, BJ. We're all pulling for you. Keep your head on straight.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Could easily be wrong, but not even minor hyperbole . These are 3 great looking backs to have on one's roster simultaneously, if they even make it to school whole.

Just offering an honest opinion, however wrong it may turn out to be.
What running back has Nick Saban signed while at Alabama that hasn't been a great looking back?

Not sure when the record books are updated but they aren't yet. None of Amari's stats from last year are in there.
What RedStar and I posted came from the 2014 Record Book.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

He's a kid, sure. But this happened in the middle of last football season, not the last century, and he is a small-town football star. So his judgment becomes an issue. Lack of judgment has left us short-handed at running back because we recruited talent and ignored character. And I wonder if we would be so cavalier over youthful faux pas if our young star in the making had committed to Auburn or Tennessee. Georgia appears to have stopped recruiting him. Wonder why? At the very least, we should consider this a reminder that we all recruit the same kids, and sometimes those involve risks.

Good luck, BJ. We're all pulling for you. Keep your head on straight.
I'm not going to say a kid is going to be a problem or have character issues because he got caught smoking dope at 17 y/o. Lots and lots of 17 y/o smoke dope and don't get caught and are not a problem or have a lack of character. Teenagers are doing a lot worse drugs. He was in a female's car with 5 other people. With that being said, he does need to keep his head on straight.

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.

I'm not going to say a kid is going to be a problem or have character issues because he got caught smoking dope at 17 y/o. Lots and lots of 17 y/o smoke dope and don't get caught and are not a problem or have a lack of character. Teenagers are doing a lot worse drugs. He was in a female's car with 5 other people. With that being said, he does need to keep his head on straight.
Won't you please tell the man, he didn't kill anyone, he was just trying to have him some fun.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.