tOSU's starting 22 would dominate Alabama's again this year.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
Previous two posts on target. They beat us. If not dominating, then thoroughly. Telling single stat: Third down them, 10-18; us 2 - 13. Only our being a very good team kept the score as close as it was.

For some reason, only a feeling, I think we will be better this season.

Last edited:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
The most disturbing thing to Alabama fans about the tOSU loss (irrespective of whether they dominated us or just squeaked by us) ought to be this: it unmasked the lie that previous embarrassing losses - Utah after 2008, Oklahoma after 2013 - were because the team didn't have an NC to play for.
I don't think the loss to OSU 'unmasks' anything - we just got beat by a better team.

Everyone knows that if we showed up 100% ready for Utah or OU we win both of those games. OSU was just flat-out better than us in the SB.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
I don't recall a time in the past where we've had a team with as much talent that the national press expected less out of. It's as if they think Saban has lost the ability to coach or motivate. Perhaps he has but I certainly don't think last years "failure" can be interpolated to mean he's all washing up. Do they realize only 4 teams in the country got as far as we did and we had the champions on the ropes in the first half. Yes we lost, We got beat, Yes they were better than us. But that was then and has nothing to do with this team.

We do have a brutal schedule but if they survive it undefeated this team will be a salty bunch of mercenaries.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I don't recall a time in the past where we've had a team with as much talent that the national press expected less out of. It's as if they think Saban has lost the ability to coach or motivate. Perhaps he has but I certainly don't think last years "failure" can be interpolated to mean he's all washing up. Do they realize only 4 teams in the country got as far as we did and we had the champions on the ropes in the first half. Yes we lost, We got beat, Yes they were better than us. But that was then and has nothing to do with this team.

We do have a brutal schedule but if they survive it undefeated this team will be a salty bunch of mercenaries.
You would never know by reading pre season hype that 122 teams would have loved to have "been Bama" last year. :BigA:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Even though this article has little to do with the game itself, like Selma pointed out, and more to do with what of our players would start for tOSU. I guess ill weight in on the debate that most of the people on the thread have made it. I was at the sugar bowl, and it was one of the weirdest feelings just arriving to see us totally outnumbered by tOSU fans in the French quarter. I thought surely when we get into the super dome we will outnumber them, but it felt like a 60-40 split in their favor to be quiet honest. In the first half we really benefited from two turnovers, and if we didn't have them we are probably down by 3 to 4 scores. It's kinda like the reverse Florida game in which it was close because of the better team making mistakes. The second half speaks for itself. You can blame kiffin for not running Henry but in turn you would have to blame smart for not making sound adjustments and the defense being out physicaled.
We probably should've lost the game by 2 scores, and it's more a testament to our team's desire to win that made it a far closer game. TOSU was the better team and they deserveThat distinction. Dominated, beat, whooped, edged, or whatever you wanna call it it still doesn't change they were better than us.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Not really disagreeing with you because they did run the ball well that day.However if memory serves correctly 89 of their yards came on one run. Where we really got hurt that night was not being able too get off the field on 3rd down even though many times it was 3rd and fairly long. We got beat by the pass on quiet a few of those.
I'll play that game.

AJ McCarron was terrible in the 2013 Iron Bowl. Sure, he was 17 for 29 for 277 yards, but 99 of it came on one pass play.......and come to think of it, he hit Cooper for 54 yards another time (it was virtually the same play), so subtract those two bombs and he was 15 for 27 for 124 yards, which is only about 30 yards more than Nick Marshall passed.

I agree with the rest of your post but I just get a little wary of the tendencies of folks here to both: a) minimize and b) maximize things.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds

Mercenaries? Yikes! Don't give the Tide-haters that ammunition!! :wink:

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
The only thing I am taking the wrong way is the word D-O-M-I-N-A-T-I-O-N. 42-35 is not D-O-M-I-N-A-T-I-O-N
He never said that, and I thought it was clear what he was talking about.
here is his only mention to the 2015 sugar Bowl aside from the title

Late last week, after a friendly twitter exchange with colleague Clay Travis regarding the SEC and Ohio State, it led to my examining just how many starters on the SEC's top team -- Auburn, according to the league's media -- would start for the Buckeyes this year? (By my calculation, that number is six Tigers.) Alabama, which was the media's pick to win the SEC West (yet not the SEC overall ... don't ask), figured to be a more compelling challenge when it came to my starting 22 breakdown.
Several Bama fans took me to task for not using the Tide for the matchup, so I decided to do that one. By the way, in my own preseason top 10, I have Bama No. 5 -- behind Ohio State, TCU, Oregon and Baylor -- and I have Auburn No. 9.
After getting some feedback from a few coaches I really trust and an NFL scout, the Tide, which lost to Ohio State 42-35 in the Sugar Bowl last season, would have more guys than Auburn that would start at Ohio State.
But I think it's probably only one more guy right now -- seven as opposed to six on the starting 22
Like Selma suggested, the title is more to attract clicks because most Bama fans flock to stories that either discredit or call into question their history or their status. Need proof, then ask yourself how many times people whine about Kannell and Galloway's weekly jab at Alabama and yet there is a new thread each week. If they dont intrest you or offend you then the logical solution is to tune them out, but it never happens.

As for this article, its goal is to show that OSU is loaded and to say what positions Alabama and Auburn are better at than them. If anything, the article is more of a comparision between Alabama and Auburn than tOSU. Also it tries to create a super team by using tOSU as the base and seeing how you can upgrade it, and I completely agree with his reasoning because it is essentially the same tOSU team last year, and they have experience at playing with each other at a high caliber, and adding as few upgrades as possible would be the smartest move.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
here is his only mention to the 2015 sugar Bowl aside from the title

Like Selma suggested, the title is more to attract clicks because most Bama fans flock to stories that either discredit or call into question their history or their status. Need proof, then ask yourself how many times people whine about Kannell and Galloway's weekly jab at Alabama and yet there is a new thread each week. If they dont intrest you or offend you then the logical solution is to tune them out, but it never happens.

As for this article, its goal is to show that OSU is loaded and to say what positions Alabama and Auburn are better at than them. If anything, the article is more of a comparision between Alabama and Auburn than tOSU. Also it tries to create a super team by using tOSU as the base and seeing how you can upgrade it, and I completely agree with his reasoning because it is essentially the same tOSU team last year, and they have experience at playing with each other at a high caliber, and adding as few upgrades as possible would be the smartest move.
We have a different definition of what "goal" is. The title should be an indication of the goal, shouldn't it? D-O-M-I-N-A-T-I-O-N. The only problem I have is with that word in the title. Yes, tOSU is the preseason favorite as they should be with all the key players returning.

Just look the word in the title "dominate" up and it does NOT describe a game that could have been won or tied on one last play.

Last edited:

Bama Shoals

1st Team
Jan 17, 2007
Killen, AL
I was at the Sugar Bowl game as well. People seem to be forgetting that although Ohio State seemed to be whipping Bama on the lines of scrmmages, Bama had them on the ropes late 3rd and early 4th when we kept pinning them back and then got the ball back on a short field to tie the game up. Go back and watch the game. OSU was reeling a bit at that point. Bama was in prime position to turn the game around. Then, you had the bone headed pass into the end zone with a pick by the Buckeyes, the long TD run by Elliott, and the game was over.

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana

We are talented, but there are reasons for the doubt. We lost 7 starters on offense, we have the toughest schedule in the nation, our defense returns a lot, but we now have even younger players than we did last year in our biggest position of need. (Secondary)

Really though, who cares what the media thinks? They control nothing at this point. You know what every team in the country has in common? They all are undefeated and will have a chance if they keep winning. Doesn't matter if you are #1 or #100. Miss State proved that last year.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
We have a different definition of what "goal" is. The title should be an indication of the goal, shouldn't it? D-O-M-I-N-A-T-I-O-N. The only problem I have is with that word in the title. Yes, tOSU is the preseason favorite as they should be with all the key players returning.

Just look the word in the title "dominate" up and it does NOT describe a game that could have been won or tied on one last play.
Did you read the articleas well or just the title? The article only mentions the actual game once, and is trying to make a hypothethical superteam using Ohio State as the base team to mix and match with. The Title is misleading because its intent is to attract angry Bama fans to click it. Its like that Scarbinsky article after Gus said Muschamp is the greatest defensive mind. It is just click bait and the article itself has nothing to do with the title.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.