tOSU's starting 22 would dominate Alabama's again this year.

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
After getting some feedback from a few coaches I really trust and an NFL scout, the Tide, which lost to Ohio State 42-35 in the Sugar Bowl last season, would have more guys than Auburn that would start at Ohio State.

But I think it's probably only one more guy right now -- seven as opposed to six on the starting 22

http://www.foxsports.com/college-fo...ma-crimson-tide-starting-22-comparison-072015

What utter nonsense. The title says it all. DONIMATION is a 42-35 score. Excuse me? Seven points is domination? Someone needs to turn in the sports reporter license.

rjtide

1st Team
Dec 15, 1999
AL
they did pound that rock against us. don't recall specifically but they ran for > 200 yds against our D. their O line manhandled our D line. no ifs, ands or buts about it. yeah we lost by only 7....but i have to admit i did not expect our D line to get whooped by their O line like that.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
It's like being back in Columbus. Not sure why Bruce Feldman would be writing this other than to create controversy.

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA
I have wiped much of that game from my memory banks, but as I recall there was a pass toward the end zone (a desperation play, to be sure) as the clock expired that would have tied the game if successful. They bludgeoned us at times, yes. Kudos again to them... but that didn't feel like domination.

skrayper77

All-American
Sep 4, 2003
After getting some feedback from a few coaches I really trust and an NFL scout, the Tide, which lost to Ohio State 42-35 in the Sugar Bowl last season, would have more guys than Auburn that would start at Ohio State.

But I think it's probably only one more guy right now -- seven as opposed to six on the starting 22

http://www.foxsports.com/college-fo...ma-crimson-tide-starting-22-comparison-072015

What utter nonsense. The title says it all. DONIMATION is a 42-35 score. Excuse me? Seven points is domination? Someone needs to turn in the sports reporter license.
Well, for starters - it's click bait.

Secondly, how many of those positions are more of a wash just because the two players are about equal? How many spots do we have an unproven?

Meh.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
I quit reading after first half of the opening paragraph.... Ezekial Elliott was fantastic. Our D was slow and tired at times. Still, a 7 point win to me is not always even a convincing win. If we play them 10 times, we beat them at least 6 of 10. Ohio State earned that NC, no doubt. But dominated us? Not even close.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
For starters, I think some of y'all are taking it the wrong way. He didn't even go so far as to say Ohio State would beat us. What he said was that there's six or seven guys on our team that would replace the players on their team in a head-to-head match up of who would start where.

Secondly, it's just one idiot's opinion. In essence, he's saying "seven guys at Alabama this year would start ahead of the guys who are on Ohio State currently." When you consider the fact that that analysis is taken with Cooper, Yeldon, Collins, and others gone - the Buckeyes are returning more parts than us - then it makes perfect sense. National championship teams don't usually have many weaknesses that need replaced by new parts, especially if a lot of guys don't graduate that particular year.

The title was intentionally inflammatory but that's the media for you.

And finally, given the fact we're 0-2 in the last two games in New Orleans, folks have the right to talk. Most folks here and across the country mocked Ohio State when they were floored by both Florida and LSU and then beaten by USC. All of a sudden they were considered "overrated." If we had not won 3 of 4 then people would tag us with that label now.

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn
they did pound that rock against us. don't recall specifically but they ran for > 200 yds against our D. their O line manhandled our D line. no ifs, ands or buts about it. yeah we lost by only 7....but i have to admit i did not expect our D line to get whooped by their O line like that.
Not really disagreeing with you because they did run the ball well that day.However if memory serves correctly 89 of their yards came on one run. Where we really got hurt that night was not being able too get off the field on 3rd down even though many times it was 3rd and fairly long. We got beat by the pass on quiet a few of those.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Not really disagreeing with you because they did run the ball well that day.However if memory serves correctly 89 of their yards came on one run. Where we really got hurt that night was not being able too get off the field on 3rd down even though many times it was 3rd and fairly long. We got beat by the pass on quiet a few of those.
Outgained us by 150 yards; out rushed us by 110; went on a 28-0 run in the second and third quarters, and we had more turnovers. Let's take dominate off the table. We kept it respectable. But it was still a whuppin'

Last edited:

narddogg81

BamaNation Citizen
Mar 18, 2012
not really. they busted 2 big runs that accounted for 139 of their rushing yards. the 85 yard touchdown run and a 54 yard run in the first quarter that led to their 1st field goal. both plays should have been stopped for little or no gain, but depriest whiffed on the first one (elliot hurdled him) when he could have just forced him out of bounds, and on the 85 yard run depreist let himself get blocked by the same crack back block that took out hamilton. the play should have been stuffed at the line because we had the right call and the numbers. you take away those 2 runs and they went for 141 yards on 40 tries, 3.5 ypc. We gave them too many gifts (85 yard td run, 50+ yard td pass where the defender just fell down for no reason, pick 6, squandered a sure fire score after pinning them deep and fielding a punt on our own 25 yard line, then a bad throw on what should have been a td in the 4th). we very easily could have won that game. ohio state in no way dominated us

Last edited:

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
We jumped up early, and I still think we had chances to put them away if we had continued to pound them; however, once the momentum changed and their players seem to begin realizing that they could play with us, they did dominate our defense in embarrassing fashion. It was ugly. To our players credit, they continued to fight and keep it close, but our defense was Swiss cheese.

Last edited:

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I was there. After the first quarter and their two score-affecting turnovers. I never felt we had any answers, especially defensively.

Third down pass defense, most particularly 3rd and long, was abysmal. I felt we had a better chance of getting off the field on 3rd and 4 than 3rd and 9+.

Dominated? No. But that night, tOSU was the better team. They won because we couldn't stop them, plain and simple. Without their two early turnovers, the margin would have been more than seven.

As to who would win more out of ten games, I'm reminded of Wallace Wade's reply to a similar statement from the coach of the Washington Huskies, just defeated in the Rose Bowl: "We didn't come out here to play no damn see-rees."

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
I agree with 4QBC that we never seemed in it after the 1st quarter. They won and deserved to. It was no fluke. It wasn't as close as the score would indicate. Give it whatever modifier you prefer.

The most disturbing thing to Alabama fans about the tOSU loss (irrespective of whether they dominated us or just squeaked by us) ought to be this: it unmasked the lie that previous embarrassing losses - Utah after 2008, Oklahoma after 2013 - were because the team didn't have an NC to play for.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.