What if we had the 8-team playoff this year?

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Now that we have had some time for the 4-team CFP to settle in and gotten accustomed to reading about SEC dominance being over, how do you think an 8-team playoff would look this year if Phil Steele is correct in preseason.

ACC FSU
B1G Ohio State
B12 TCU
P12 USC
SEC Alabama
Gp5 Boise

Two spots left: (assuming 11-2 for all but Baylor)

Baylor 11-1

Georgia 11-2
Wisconsin 11-2
Clemson 11-2
Oregon 11-2
Notre Dame 10-2

I am certain Notre Dame would be invited because the other five "should have won their championship game." You can't lose a championship game and go the playoff syndrome. It sucks but that is how I see it. Of course one of the losers would have to go unless they choose a sunbelt team who has not lost championship game.

The Committee has no rule that I know of but we all have our ideas of how they feel.

Last edited:

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Yeah you're probably right about Notre Dame and that is unfortunate. What should be the logic is that those teams played another tough game and Notre Dame did not. In fact, those teams when comparing their schedules with the same schedule Notre Dame played, should be viewed as 11-1 vs. Notre Dame's 10-2.

It's another reason Notre Dame shouldn't be given the benefits of the system when they do not fully participate.

tide96

All-SEC
Oct 4, 2005
If Georgia lost the SEC Championship to Alabama but beat them in Athens, they probably get in. But not if they lost to Alabama twice.

Wisco with only loses to Ohio State and Bama probably gets in, with Baylor/ND and Oregon politicking for the last spot.

Last edited:

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
If Georgia lost the SEC Championship to Alabama but beat them in Athens, they probably get in. But not if they lost to Alabama twice.

Wisco with only loses to Ohio State and Bama probably gets in, with Baylor/ND and Oregon politicking for the last spot.
You're probably right. Still, that's a crazy scenario. Bama and UGA could potentially play each other 3 times in one season, possibly even back to back games.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
You're probably right. Still, that's a crazy scenario. Bama and UGA could potentially play each other 3 times in one season, possibly even back to back games.
I think the scenario whereby two teams from the same conference have met twice and split the two games is the only way two same conference teams will ever get in a playoff of 8 or fewer teams. And will immediately be paired in order to eliminate one of them.

Very little point in including the loser of a single game and no point whatsoever in including the two-time loser of both games.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Sorry I didn't put more thought into this. I had Baylor 11-2 but changed it to 11-1, since they have no championship game. So, does an 11-1 Baylor get in over 11-2 conference losers? I say no.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.