News Article: Dak Prescott: MSU Just Needed One More Drive to Beat Alabama

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
These things crack me up. Like everyone else in football you have 60 minutes to outscore your opponent. We were up by a couple of scores. Everyone knows when you're winning by that margin and only a few minutes left, your offense is going to shutdown to some degree and your defense is going to allow yards over scores to make it take a long time to score thus using up the clock. Even for a five point win, Alabama was clearly the better team on the field that day. I'm sorry, Dak but we could have played for 90 minutes and you guys still would have lost.
Exactly. We only won by 5 points, but we controlled the game from start to finish, and the outcome was never in jeopardy.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I think what this proves is how difficult it REALLY is to have the pressure of being top-ranked. MSU got the best shot of an above average Kentucky team on the road (it was close until the fourth quarter) and then Arkansas, who was improving.

Then they went on the road and faced a team that has more experience - by far - than anyone else playing BIG GAMES with big stakes. If they had played us a month earlier, MSU probably beats us. But that death-defying escape in Baton Rouge was just what we needed and the adrenaline came out in the next game.

Remember - when the pressure shifted in 2011, Oregon, Boise St, and Okie St all went down to inferior opponents. In 2012, the same thing happened to K-State and Oregon. And in 2013, it happened to Ohio State.

It happens. I'm still convinced our loss to ATM in 2012 had more to do with the LSU hangover than anything else.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
They clearly were trying to narrow the margin to protect their playoff chances. I mean, they milked the clock, down to scores, instead of trying to score quickly and get the ball back. They were beat, knew it, accepted it, and simply tried to make the score a little more respectable. And then they promptly went out and lost to Ole Miss which eliminated them from the playoff.

No Dak... one more drive wasn't ever going to happen. Your coaches saw to it.

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
Was there in the freezing cold and this game was over early. Heck their fans were packing up and leaving during the final drive...which I might add they were lucky to score and pull the game closer on 4th down after our D had stood up. Whiners everywhere these days..

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
It happens. I'm still convinced our loss to ATM in 2012 had more to do with the LSU hangover than anything else.
I think overall you can make that argument, but the two things that stand out to me are 1) smart didn't use chavis's and muschamp's plan to slow Johnny and 2) it felt like nuss was more trying to get AJ the heisman. We had the most dominate offensive lines in decades and we tried to pass when we didn't have to against lsu and aTm that year. We should've blown lsu out, but we were pass happy all of the second half, and then against aTm we got it 1st and goal because they eventually caved against Lacey but we decided to pass. It was just lunacy. Everyone is critical on kiffin not running Henry and Carroll not running lynch but had several games didn't play out the way they did you have to wonder what the narrative would've been going into 2013 about nuss.

I think the lsu fatigue played a role, but the last two times we've been down to the bayou our ocs have gone brain dead and made those games nailbitters

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
No. Maybe they should blame it on the illegal cowbells not being allowed at road games :rolleyes:.

That game went almost exactly as planned especially in the first half. Our offense played to the MSU defense weakness and our defense throttled Prescott. We didn't let our foot off the gas but we did engage cruise control. Put a "W" in the good guys column and moved on. They should accept the fact they choked having never been there before and move on as well.

Alabama22

1st Team
Aug 3, 2010
Alabama
I can think of plenty games where one more drive would have won games for every team out there. But a loss is still a loss, no matter what coulda woulda shoulda.

Roll Tide 57

1st Team
Oct 20, 2014
Plant City FL
I will cut him some slack because he's still a kid & he took MSU to a place where they had not been. I think he's a good kid, role model & will be tough this year.

Now if we really want to play what if's I know of at least 3 more national championships Bama wins, IF the correct call had been made on the field, forget extra drives & one more if politics had not played a role.

It is what it is!

pigsinspace

1st Team
Jan 26, 2011
It looked like MSU was not trying to win, and Bama was more than happy to let them run a three minute drive. I certainly had no problem with it.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I will cut him some slack because he's still a kid & he took MSU to a place where they had not been. I think he's a good kid, role model & will be tough this year.
I'm actually all with this. I think it gets easy to react. But Dak should be proud - he took MSU where NOBODY, and I mean NOBODY thought they'd ever be. It also enabled the sports world to take a second look at the state of Mississippi and perhaps set aside some of the stereotypes of a world stuck in 1964.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I'm actually all with this. I think it gets easy to react. But Dak should be proud - he took MSU where NOBODY, and I mean NOBODY thought they'd ever be. It also enabled the sports world to take a second look at the state of Mississippi and perhaps set aside some of the stereotypes of a world stuck in 1964.

grlindsey08

3rd Team
Dec 4, 2010
Jasper, AL
Yeah if they could have just scored more points they would've totally won........ I'm sure that's what they call losing and I think that's how it almost always works....

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.