News Article: Dak Prescott: MSU Just Needed One More Drive to Beat Alabama

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Story

A week after a near-fatal fist fight at LSU, Alabama quickly faced another fight for playoff survival.

And for a change, it was not the No. 1 team when Mississippi State came to Bryant-Denny Stadium on Nov. 15, 2014. The Bulldogs were unbeaten in nine games after cruising past UT-Martin the previous Saturday.

But instead of continuing the dream season, Mississippi State's run at the SEC and national titles took a major blow in Tuscaloosa. And in turn, Alabama remained in play for both crowns with a 25-20 win on a perfect fall afternoon.

In retrospect, Mississippi State players and coach Dan Mullen see what went wrong. New to the pedestal, there were a few mental mistakes in the approach to the game. A slow start ultimately created a hole it couldn't fill

"Losing by five right there at the end of the game," quarterback Dak Prescott said at SEC Media Days last week in Hoover. "Another minute or another drive on offense and I think we win that game."

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
As I recall the game, they trailed 19-3 at halftime. When they got within six, we scored another touchdown.

I would also point out they had 1st and goal at our ONE-YARD LINE and settled for three.

That's four of the five points they needed, except for the fact we probably wouldn't have gone for two if the score was 19-14 and we got a TD to make it 26-14. Plus, Prescott threw three interceptions ONE INTO THE END ZONE!!!!

So let me ask the obvious question, Dak - since you were in our red zone five times and left with 2 TDs, a FG, and TWO interceptions.......why do you think you would have won the game? Y'all didn't manage the clock very well and left yourselves no time as well.

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA
What they needed and what they had bore no relation to one another at all because they weren't going to beat Bama that day and didn't beat Bama that day.

Bama was the better team. Period.

dadleyblane5

All-SEC
Apr 19, 2011
DeFuniak Springs Fl.
As I recall the game, they trailed 19-3 at halftime. When they got within six, we scored another touchdown.

I would also point out they had 1st and goal at our ONE-YARD LINE and settled for three.

That's four of the five points they needed, except for the fact we probably wouldn't have gone for two if the score was 19-14 and we got a TD to make it 26-14. Plus, Prescott threw three interceptions ONE INTO THE END ZONE!!!!

So let me ask the obvious question, Dak - since you were in our red zone five times and left with 2 TDs, a FG, and TWO interceptions.......why do you think you would have won the game? Y'all didn't manage the clock very well and left yourselves no time as well.
"This"

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
If wishes were fishes...

If Colt McCoy didn't get injured in '09...

If the game were just a little longer than 60 minutes against Georgia in the 2012 SECCG...

If the field were 90 yards long instead of 100 yards in that last second field goal against the barn in '13...

If MSU had scored more than 17pts in 5 red zone appearances last year...

But he did, it ain't, it's not, and they didn't. Waaah... I like Dak, but give me a break. Be proud of the good year you had and quit making excuses. Expect you and your team's 100% commitment... not excuses, extra time, extra yards, or extra drives. If everyone on your team does that, you'll win a national championship.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
These things crack me up. Like everyone else in football you have 60 minutes to outscore your opponent. We were up by a couple of scores. Everyone knows when you're winning by that margin and only a few minutes left, your offense is going to shutdown to some degree and your defense is going to allow yards over scores to make it take a long time to score thus using up the clock. Even for a five point win, Alabama was clearly the better team on the field that day. I'm sorry, Dak but we could have played for 90 minutes and you guys still would have lost.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.