NBA leaning toward top 8 records (not necessarily conference winner) make the playoff

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I really believe that the NFL has it right with its playoff format. There is a real value in winning the division, so that team should be in the playoff. Outside of that, it's hard to argue against the wild card picks.
There was when you had five-team divisions; four-team divisions lead to nonsense like Seattle - with a losing record - hosting a HOME playoff game against the defending world champion Saints and then winning. That's beyond absurd.

It's hard to argue the wildcard but a team shouldn't benefit because it happens to reside in the same division as the three worst teams in the NFL - not when it can simply go 6-0 against those foes and 1-9 against the rest of the league and get a HOME playoff game. That's just plain nuts.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I still say the CFP is set up incorrectly - use the BCS formula to figure out the top four (eight, whatever) teams and play the games. The BCS formula worked, I have no idea why they abandoned it and replaced it with a 'committee'...
I think it should be the top four but I think something else - why not have HOME games for the one and two seed to START the bowl season around December 21? And then have the championship on January 2? That would prevent rust and teams getting out of sync and give us a more reliable indicator of the champ.

It would even enable a bowl game to pick up the losers of the playoff game and snag bigger ratings perhaps.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I still say the CFP is set up incorrectly - use the BCS formula to figure out the top four (eight, whatever) teams and play the games. The BCS formula worked, I have no idea why they abandoned it and replaced it with a 'committee'...
Agree completely. But they needed a committee for some reason and the only thing I can think of is keeping two SEC team out if they finish 1-3 or 1-4.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I think it should be the top four but I think something else - why not have HOME games for the one and two seed to START the bowl season around December 21? And then have the championship on January 2? That would prevent rust and teams getting out of sync and give us a more reliable indicator of the champ.

It would even enable a bowl game to pick up the losers of the playoff game and snag bigger ratings perhaps.
Now that is a good idea.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Really kinda obvious...they wanted humans who could be swayed by people to avoid 3/4 spots being SEC teams.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I'm gonna be honest here - my suspicion was NOT the same as a lot of folks here have or at least not for the same reason. I suspected the reason for the committee was to provide cover to select a big name team (oh, I'll just use Ohio State for example) over the nobodies (oh, I'll just use TCU and Baylor for example). I figured it was a way to get the biggest ca$h cow and exclude the Boise States of the world with a more convoluted argument (not that they should have been included in the first place but anyway).

When I first heard about the selection of Ohio State that was my IMMEDIATE thought - 'yep, they did this to get the big name program in there and keep out the riff-raff like TCU and Baylor; if this was Texas or OU, guess what?'

I may have been too hasty in that assessment since after you lined them up it was nearly impossible to keep Ohio State OUT of the playoff. And the other three certainly belonged, nobody disagreed on that one.

But to me you just don't need a "committee;" just keep the old BCS and take 1-4 and let it fall where it may.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.