News Article: Bob Stoops says Sooners never got over Bedlam loss

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Yeah and if he would have simply added, "you know, maybe Nick Saban had a point when he stated Alabama had a difficult time getting prepared for that Sugar Bowl against us after that freak loss to Auburn and he wasn't just dissing my team" I would respect his comments. But, he is incapable of such introspection.

What he should have said was this:

"Last year, Nick Saban made some comments about how difficult it was to get his two-time defending champions ready to play a consolation game. I've got to admit that I don't know "exactly" how that feels since Bill Clinton was still in office the last time I won a meaningful game other than the Red River rivalry. But I have to admit he had a point. And there's a bottom line - it's ultimately on ME to get them motivated regardless. I failed in that task, but I can promise you that you will see a better prepared bunch of Sooners going forward into 2015 and our goal is to win it all again." (Note the sort of apology, acknowledgement, and shift to motivational speech).

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Until we actually beat OU for the first time since the Kennedy administration, I'm done criticizing them or their coach.
Using this line of reasoning we cannot criticize Urban Meyer or Hugh Freeze, either. The fact Ohio State beat us doesn't change the fact they play in a conference a shell of what it once was. And the fact OU beat us in the Sugar Bowl doesn't make Stoops's two-facedness any less two-faced than it is, either.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Using this line of reasoning we cannot criticize Urban Meyer or Hugh Freeze, either. The fact Ohio State beat us doesn't change the fact they play in a conference a shell of what it once was. And the fact OU beat us in the Sugar Bowl doesn't make Stoops's two-facedness any less two-faced than it is, either.
I'm not disputing his hypocritical comments. I'm just tired of us losing to the guy. Also, we haven't lost three straight as a program to Meyer or Freeze. Like a previous poster said, Stoops--for all his squirrelliness and stupid comments--has had our number and in head to head he has us on the scoreboard. Not too many coaches can say that.

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Congrats to Bob for beating three different bama coaches over a decade. The only one that even remotely matters is the one under Saban.

And that one doesn't even matter anymore in all honesty. The Sugar Bowl trophy is just a high-end participation trophy at this point in cfb.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
We haven't lost three straight as a program to Meyer or Freeze either. Like a previous poster said, Stoops--for all his squirrelliness and stupid comments--has had our number and in head to head he has us on the scoreboard.
Let's all stand up and clap for Bob Stoops! He beat Dennis Franchoine by 10 points! He even beat the legendary Mike Shula by 7 points in Shula's fourth month on the job!

Man, Bob Stoops has really owned Alabama.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Congrats to Bob for beating three different bama coaches over a decade. The only one that even remotely matters is the one under Saban.

And that one doesn't even matter anymore in all honesty. The Sugar Bowl trophy is just a high-end participation trophy at this point in cfb.
Like I said, I'm just tired of losing to Oklahoma and Stoops. I guess it's more of a matter of pride to me. Against arguably the no. 3 all time program(OU), we're 0-3 in the last three meetings.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.