Volunteer armed guards at recruiting centers

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I can't do a link on my phone, but I saw an article on line about a groups of guys standing guard outside a recruitment office in Huntsville.

This, of course, is in reaction to the Chattanooga shootings and the directive that recruiters are not allowed to carry weapons.

In the pictures, the guys are carrying a variety of weapons and dressed in jeans, shorts and t-shirts.

I know they mean well, but this just strikes me as a disaster waiting to happen. A bunch of unorganized people with no particular training and no leadership providing security doesn't strike me as a good idea. But I think they'll get bored soon and go away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
In another thread, we were discussing gun aficionados and gun nuts. I think a guy with no job who was never in the military that hands his gun to someone else so they can look at it (wonder if he even knew them) without checking the safety qualifies as the latter.

maybe we should require basic proficiency on the wonderlic test before we let folks carry guns in public

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
I can't do a link on my phone, but I saw an article on line about a groups of guys standing guard outside a recruitment office in Huntsville.

This, of course, is in reaction to the Chattanooga shootings and the directive that recruiters are not allowed to carry weapons.

In the pictures, the guys are carrying a variety of weapons and dressed in jeans, shorts and t-shirts.

I know they mean well, but this just strikes me as a disaster waiting to happen. A bunch of unorganized people with no particular training and no leadership providing security doesn't strike me as a good idea. But I think they'll get bored soon and go away.

The military being protected by civilians. Now that's a switch!

willie52

All-American
Jan 25, 2008
Arab, AL
I admire what they are trying to do but if they do not have military or police training they should go home. What would they actually do if a vehicle comes at them firing. I'm sure anyone questions that of anybody but my bet is if you were military or police trained you have a better understanding of what you face.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I question the wisdom of standing out in front of a recruiting station in the first place. If someone really wanted to help, the best thing would be to be nearby and be carrying concealed. I think to loiter outside with a rifle is the short course to being the first victim, particularly if you're as clueless as the individual in the link...

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I question the wisdom of standing out in front of a recruiting station in the first place. If someone really wanted to help, the best thing would be to be nearby and be carrying concealed. I think to loiter outside with a rifle is the short course to being the first victim, ...
And, one gets the privilege of bringing an extra gun for the assailant, once the assailant has capped the civilian rifle-toter and seized his rifle.
How considerate.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
And, one gets the privilege of bring an extra gun for the assailant, once the assailant has capped the civilian riffle-toter and seized his rifle.
How considerate.
The law/regs need changing. That could be done in two ways. One would be to exclude recruiting stations from the definition of "bases" under the law. The other would be consider them a circumstance involving automatically "jeopardy of life." These could be done without amending the act itself. The other thing which could be done is to draw into every single lease a requirement of bullet-proof glass. This a simple matter of amending the FAR pertaining to leasing recruitment centers. Again, this could be done without disturbing the underlying statute passed back in during Bush I's term...

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
I question the wisdom of standing out in front of a recruiting station in the first place. If someone really wanted to help, the best thing would be to be nearby and be carrying concealed. I think to loiter outside with a rifle is the short course to being the first victim, particularly if you're as clueless as the individual in the link...
Bingo. At least the poor guy getting hit with the first shot may cause everyone to react a little faster :)

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Bingo. At least the poor guy getting hit with the first shot may cause everyone to react a little faster :)
Well, the guys inside have to be armed - and behind bullet-proof glass. Otherwise, it wouldn't help. I'd dearly love for the fatal slug dug out of this creep to have come for the Lt. Cmdr's gun. Of course, his career is basically over, either way...

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
The law/regs need changing. That could be done in two ways. One would be to exclude recruiting stations from the definition of "bases" under the law. The other would be consider them a circumstance involving automatically "jeopardy of life." These could be done without amending the act itself. The other thing which could be done is to draw into every single lease a requirement of bullet-proof glass. This a simple matter of amending the FAR pertaining to leasing recruitment centers. Again, this could be done without disturbing the underlying statute passed back in during Bush I's term...
Yep.
I just had this image pop into my head of the gunman in Chattanooga, arriving at the recruiting station, seeing someone standing out front with an AR-15, so the first round goes to the guy with the rifle, and the terrorist/gunman then grabs the rifle and proceeds on, stopping momentarily to look at the dying civilian and think, "Thanks for bringing the rifle. How'd you know I needed one?"

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
Yep.
I just had this image pop into my head of the gunman in Chattanooga, arriving at the recruiting station, seeing someone standing out front with an AR-15, so the first round goes to the guy with the rifle, and the terrorist/gunman then grabs the rifle and proceeds on, stopping momentarily to look at the dying civilian and think, "Thanks for bringing the rifle. How'd you know I needed one?"
A basic survivalist technique. Why carry more weapons/ammo than necessary?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
A basic survivalist technique. Why carry more weapons/ammo than necessary?
Well, he had disguises in his motel room and had switched the plates on his car. I would assume that he was trying to make a run for it and had stockpiled for a siege down the road. Just a theory/rationale...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.