Theater Shooting in Louisiana

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

The one all the way to the left.....is Jillian Johnson -- one of the 2 ladies killed last night.
She was part of the Cajun/Folk band from here called "The Figs" -- she was married with a 12 year old.....

RIP Jillian

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010

+31

Victims: Mayci Breaux, 21 (top), and 33-year-old Jillian Johnson have been identified as the two killed in the Thursday massacre.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
The Grand Cinema in which this shooting took place is part of a chain of theaters in which I do business. By all rights, I should carry my pistol with me while I'm conducting my business, but it's only because of their "No Weapons Allowed" policy that I don't. I'm thinking that this might cause them to change that policy.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Now, ATF says the gun was bought legally in a pawn shop. A couple of days ago, the Russell County sheriff said that his treatment for mental issues in '08 and '09 was a matter of record. How then did he pass the background check?

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Now, ATF says the gun was bought legally in a pawn shop. A couple of days ago, the Russell County sheriff said that his treatment for mental issues in '08 and '09 was a matter of record. How then did he pass the background check?
Excellent question and a huge aspect for post-event discussion.

The way I look at this.....the shooter had a criminal record and thus should not have been allowed to own a firearm.

The fact that he bought one meant he broke the law - and owned the gun unlawfully.

We have the correct firearm laws in place - but they are simply not being followed in certain cases.

That is where the focus should be, IMHO.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
I think the pawn shop owner who sold him the gun is about to get a visit from the ATF, who will in turn go over his records with a microscope, (and probably go up his nether region with a flashlight). He'll be lucky to keep his FFL and probably his business as well..

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA

The way I look at this.....the shooter had a criminal record and thus should not have been allowed to own a firearm.

The fact that he bought one meant he broke the law - and owned the gun unlawfully.

We have the correct firearm laws in place - but they are simply not being followed in certain cases.

Too many easy "loopholes" both legal and illegal.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
I think the pawn shop owner who sold him the gun is about to get a visit from the ATF, who will in turn go over his records with a microscope, (and probably go up his nether region with a flashlight). He'll be lucky to keep his FFL and probably his business as well..
I agree, Reb. In the coming weeks I'm sure we'll find out how this all went down.

Too many easy "loopholes" both legal and illegal.
I'm not disagreeing Bamaro, but how does one fix that?

My take on this: stuff like will always happen - we'll always have murders and killings because we'll always have friction, mental duress, and instability in society. Impossible to solve.

No doubt this is a very sad tragedy but I don't see a solution that would ever prevent any more like it happening in the future, unfortunately.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Actually, after doing a little more research, this guy barely skirted by the law. The lawyer whose office he burned declined to press charges (fear of his life?). His wife dropped the DV charges. Also, the new owners of the house he was evicted from in 2014, and which he went back and vandalized and set a natural gas booby trap, declined to press charges. However, I feel he would have procured a gun, one way or the other...

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
I agree, Reb. In the coming weeks I'm sure we'll find out how this all went down.

I'm not disagreeing Bamaro, but how does one fix that?

My take on this: stuff like will always happen - we'll always have murders and killings because we'll always have friction, mental duress, and instability in society. Impossible to solve.

No doubt this is a very sad tragedy but I don't see a solution that would ever prevent any more like it happening in the future, unfortunately.

This will continue to happen because we have psycho cases and evil people in our society. Taking guns away from law abiding folks will not stop it. That could cause it to get much worse. You don't need a gun to kill. Just look at the incident in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma, etc.

Our politicians are not trying to solve the problem. Liars and deceivers, i.e. politicians and pyscho cases and evil people are the problem. Years ago many of these psycho cases would have been in Bryce Hospital, etc. Does Bryce Hospital still exist?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
This will continue to happen because we have psycho cases and evil people in our society. Taking guns away from law abiding folks will not stop it. That could cause it to get much worse. You don't need a gun to kill. Just look at the incident in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma, etc.

Our politicians are not trying to solve the problem. Liars and deceivers, i.e. politicians and pyscho cases and evil people are the problem. Years ago many of these psycho cases would have been in Bryce Hospital, etc. Does Bryce Hospital still exist?
The jails and prisons have become our de facto mental institutions, except for those sleeping under bridges...

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
One way is to tighten up penalties on both sides.
I would argue tougher penalties are not effective. Certain penalties are.
If no cops are likely to be around, I'd wager most people exceed the speed limit by at the very least 5-10 mph. If cops are likely to be around (that is, if a penalty is more certain), most people slow down below the speed limit.
The penalty is the same. What deters action is certain penalty, not severe penalty. Heck, why do people deal crack, commit rape, and embezzle funds? It's not because the penalties aren't harsh. They just think they can get away with it. Penalty is not certain.
And even if you make the argument that we need tougher penalties, really, when you are dealing with a guy who turns the gun on himself, what stiffer penalty could there be?
If you want to argue enforcement of laws, I'm on board. But if we cannot even enforce the laws that we currently have, why impose new ones?

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
I think the very best thing to come out of this entire event is that this psycho saved everyone the time and trouble of both a trial and the prison time and/or execution that would follow. The worst is of course the loss of innocent life and the wounds inflicted on others.

Unfortunately there may never be an end to this type of event. Psychos will always be among us and will do whatever harm their minds can imagine. This will continue regardless of our weaponry, the laws that govern us or the penalties for their violation.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Actually, after doing a little more research, this guy barely skirted by the law. The lawyer whose office he burned declined to press charges (fear of his life?). His wife dropped the DV charges. Also, the new owners of the house he was evicted from in 2014, and which he went back and vandalized and set a natural gas booby trap, declined to press charges. However, I feel he would have procured a gun, one way or the other...
Wow......didn't know this. No way this wacko should have been legally allowed to purchase a gun after all the crap he did.

You make a good point that in the end he would have procured a gun one way or another.....he was on a mission to destroy.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.