Southern Pride, not racism

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I enjoyed this piece this morning and it left me smiling with pride and gratitude that I was born and live in Alabama. It puts a little perspective on the flag issue that those who haven't experienced what we are blessed with here may not understand. Hope you enjoy it too.
Is the Battle Flag More Fun?
http://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2015/07/is_the_battle_flag_more_fun.html
New Englanders jettisoned Christianity almost two centuries ago, but they retained the fanatical evangelism: "You are not allowed to think differently about anything other than the New England way of thinking about that subject, or we will destroy you." Any different viewpoint is simply intolerable to a New Englander.
Left-statists today hate the other tenets of southern political tradition: the idea of self-government and the idea that the people can in any substantive way restrict the powers of the general government. That is why they latch onto slavery, because anti-slavery can excuse a universe of terrible crimes and they pour all their hatred into the Confederate flag.
Slavery was always the weakest part of the southern political argument, but it was never the totality of it and anybody who says it was is a low-down liar who has an agenda.

Last edited:

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
New Englanders jettisoned Christianity almost two centuries ago, but they retained the fanatical evangelism: "You are not allowed to think differently about anything other than the New England way of thinking about that subject, or we will destroy you." Any different viewpoint is simply intolerable to a New Englander.
Left-statists today hate the other tenets of southern political tradition: the idea of self-government and the idea that the people can in any substantive way restrict the powers of the general government. That is why they latch onto slavery, because anti-slavery can excuse a universal of terrible crimes and they pour all their hatred into the Confederate flag.
Slavery was always the weakest part of the southern political argument, but it was never the totality of it and anybody who says it was is a low-down liar who has an agenda.
I've never really understood how exactly New England went from extreme Calvinism to secularism and Athiesm so completely. You would think at least some of that would still be ingrained in the culture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Last November there was a stink in New England over some stores wanting to open on Thanksgiving. Apparently, it's against the law to do that up there and folks were actually appealing to their "religious tradition" to keep the stores closed.

I'm sitting there reading this thinking, "And you say Baptists in the South are versatile?"

I was just smh....

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
Left-statists today hate the other tenets of southern political tradition: the idea of self-government and the idea that the people can in any substantive way restrict the powers of the general government. That is why they latch onto slavery, because anti-slavery can excuse a universal of terrible crimes and they pour all their hatred into the Confederate flag.
I love the South and am happy with the life I have chosen here. I feel no need to denigrate others on their section of the country or lifestyles. I have no need to change them if they just let us be. That's what being conservative means. Those who would use slavery from over a century ago are unhappy people who can only find self worth and happiness in controlling others. That's what makes them liberals, who have progressed into communists.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I've never really understood how exactly New England went from extreme Calvinism to secularism and Athiesm so completely. You would think at least some of that would still be ingrained in the culture.
South Carolinian theologian spent a while at Harvard in the 1830s. Of the faculty and students at Harvard he only had this to say: "their ardent faith seems simply to be one of unbelief."

New England kept the (secular) evangelism and dumped Christian belief.

Thornwell left after a short stay at the Little Red School House.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
I love the South and am happy with the life I have chosen here. I feel no need to denigrate others on their section of the country or lifestyles. I have no need to change them if they just let us be. That's what being conservative means. Those who would use slavery from over a century ago are unhappy people who can only find self worth and happiness in controlling others. That's what makes them liberals, who have progressed into communists.
So that's why they are called Progressives. They have progressed to become communists. However, I'm sure they don't want to be just part of the commune. They want to be the Elite of the commune.

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
So that's why they are called Progressives. They have progressed to become communists. However, I'm sure they don't want to be just part of the commune. They want to be the Elite of the commune.
Well in communism the elite are the only ones who live well, everyone else is equal, equally poor and controlled. So yes.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
For those who thinks the Confederate flag represents hate, here's something to ponder:

Bessemer man says Confederate flag made him a target

http://wiat.com/2015/07/26/bessemer-man-says-confederate-flag-made-him-a-target/

Now that's what I call hate..
Once you have established, at least in left-statists' minds, that the Confederate flag can only have one meaning and that that meaning is racism, that is how some will react.

This cannot be a hate crime, however. The victim was white. I'm sure it was just an accidental discharge. Well, actually, three accidental discharges. But I'm sure the DoJ will jump right on this to check it out, just the same.

TideWatcher

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2006
newton county, ms
The decline began in the schools(Harvard is a good example) as well as the pulpit(contrast Jonathan Mayhew with Jonathan Edwards). Mayhew's theology (a rejection of Calvinist doctrine) spread while Edwards theology diminished in influence in the northeast. In the south, ministers like Thornwell kept the Calvinist flame burning.
South Carolinian theologian spent a while at Harvard in the 1830s. Of the faculty and students at Harvard he only had this to say: "their ardent faith seems simply to be one of unbelief."

New England kept the (secular) evangelism and dumped Christian belief.

Thornwell left after a short stay at the Little Red School House.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.