Southern Pride, not racism

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Then why is (and was) the Klan so eager to closely associate themselves with it?

Good question.
I would say that the flag, the Klan and black people have interacted on the issue over time. The KKK does not like interacting with black people, black folks don't like the flag, so the more that black folk don't like the flag, the more the KKK carried it. This was especially true for the 1940s on.
Here is a photo of the Klan parading in Washington DC in 1925. Note the flag.

OreBama

All-American
Sep 26, 2005
Portland, OR
The Confederate battle flag has been bastardized to the point that it is indefensible to most non-Southerners. To me, it is a symbol of the South and my pride in the romantic aspects of the antebellum South. To black people, it is a symbol of hate, racism, and oppression.

We're both right and have reasonable arguments, but in the end I cannot support something that hurts other people so much. I don't blame black people for feeling this way. I feel resentment toward the KKK and other white supremacist groups that aren't Southern or even American for ruining the meaning of the flag as I see it.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
The Confederate battle flag has been bastardized to the point that it is indefensible to most non-Southerners. To me, it is a symbol of the South and my pride in the romantic aspects of the antebellum South. To black people, it is a symbol of hate, racism, and oppression.

We're both right and have reasonable arguments, but in the end I cannot support something that hurts other people so much. I don't blame black people for feeling this way. I feel resentment toward the KKK and other white supremacist groups that aren't Southern or even American for ruining the meaning of the flag as I see it.
We're all entitled to our own opinions.
That said, I'm not about to toss my flag in the trash just because one group feels hatred for something that happened hundreds of years ago. Some people are always going to find a scapegoat for their own failures. Fwiw, I see far more hatred coming from blacks than I do toward them. Haters gonna hate, even if they have to use a symbol of the past as justification.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.