Link: Nice article on Decatur BBQ...

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
https://grittree.wordpress.com/2011/09/08/bbq-thursday-lewis-grizzard-tells-it-like-it-is/

This is a definitive discussion of barbecue. No, I am not from Gawja and am not a fan of Mark Richt, but I do love and miss Lewis Grizzard who had many comments about southern barbecue and where to find it.
Funny. Nevertheless, I do LOVE barbecued beef brisket, and I do put vinegary coleslaw and a few dill pickles on a barbecued pork sandwich (as does my wife who is from North Alabama).

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
So that's where the abomination known as Alabama White BBQ sauce came from. Started popping up in BBQ joints in North Atlanta a few years ago. My wife, from AL and myself having lived in Alabama nearly 1/4 of my life had never seen nor heard of it. For me, it's awful, nasty stuff. She loves it.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
If I am anywhere near Decatur I'll try to detour for a quick fix of Gibson's. I love the white sauce on anything especially the chicken.

I also love the wet sauces, stand alone dry rubs (one of my favorite rubs is the one used at Rendezvous in Memphis), and slaws (I love a good spicy mustard slaw on good pork).

IMO being open to try a different style and let them stand on their own gives more enjoyment. There are those that I prefer, but I am open to enjoying them all. :)

LOL! BBQ is one topic on which you can depend on violent disagreement...
Truth :)

Last edited:

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
Hmm... Never thought about it. I grew up in Decatur with the thin, vinegary sauce - never used as a baste - and nothing else tastes right, not mustard-based, catsup-based or anything else. As I've aged and my innards have grown, um, more "fragile," I find that I can't tolerate as much of the heat. I have a friend, really one of a bunch who used to have lunch once a week, and he always ordered Hooter's wings with "Three Mile Island" sauce - and added more. We were in awe of him and his cast iron stomach...
White sauce in some ways reminds me of the type of red sauce they have in West TN (in flavor). I went to college there and they boasted about their vinegar based red sauce. To me it tasted like a more spicy white sauce. I liked both of them. For me, you can hardly taste mayo in white sauce since vinegar is such a strong flavor. I do not like the white sauce you buy in grocery stores. It tastes more like ranch dressing than white sauce which I assume has to do with bottling for shelf life. If you make it yourself it is much better. Ill say this about Bob Gibson's. If you'll use their brine recipe along with their white sauce recipe for smoking chicken it is pretty hard to beat. I prefer it smoked over apple or cherry wood too. Gives it a good flavor.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
The sauce at Archibalds in Northport - not archibald and woodrows - THE Archibalds . . . would it be called vinegar-based? Gawd, I love that place. Can't decide which is better, a sammich or a pigsicle from them.

Did I mention that I love that place? :biggrin2:

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
It's okay on chicken, but an abomination on pork IMO. People around here love it, though.
I am not crazy about mustard-based sauce but I have always liked Shealy's out of Batesburg-Leesville. Our highschool football coach used to take the team down there to eat before games. Not sure if it helped or hindered the Friday night efforts lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.