How Close was Saban to Coaching Texas

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
Just one point: if Tide fans were told on January 3, 2007, "Nick Saban will come to Alabama and win a national title in three years and leave," EVERY SINGLE ALABAMA FAN on the planet would have taken that deal.

Instead, he won three in four and we had our first Heisman winner.

He went far beyond the deal anyone would taken.

If he leaves tomorrow, the program is on its most solid footing since the 1970s.
I REALLY wish I had said this.

*LIKE*

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Just one point: if Tide fans were told on January 3, 2007, "Nick Saban will come to Alabama and win a national title in three years and leave," EVERY SINGLE ALABAMA FAN on the planet would have taken that deal.

Instead, he won three in four and we had our first Heisman winner.

He went far beyond the deal anyone would taken.
It's about the principle for me, not just wins and losses.

If he leaves tomorrow, the program is on its most solid footing since the 1970s.
Without question - and as it should be for the highest paid coach in the land who is given everything he asks for and has every possible advantage on his side.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Wasn't Coach Bryant given NFL offers during his time here? We don't know how close he was to taking one of them due to the time period and media coverage. It was probably easier for a high profile person to sneak around back then.

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina

Without question - and as it should be for the highest paid coach in the land who is given everything he asks for and has every possible advantage on his side.
What you say here has some merit, but I also think you have to give CNS his share of the credit too. To me Alabama and Nick Saban are the ultimate combo and that is the recipe we are enjoying now. When this relationship comes to an end, no matter what money/support we throw at the next guy, it is highly unlikely we will see the same success. On the flip, if CNS were to leave for Texas or any number of other big time schools I highly doubt he would be as successful either.

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
Wasn't Coach Bryant given NFL offers during his time here? We don't know how close he was to taking one of them due to the time period and media coverage. It was probably easier for a high profile person to sneak around back then.
I have read several books about Coach Bryant and can't remember for sure which one(s) went in to detail over this...But as I recall he seriously considered the Dolphins in the late 60's and as I recall he changed his mind while on the lake fishing. Others may have some more insight in to this....

EDIT: This is not what I was referring to but it does talk about the Dolphin thing http://thesportspost.com/nfl-what-if-paul-bear-bryant-miami-dolphins/
Kind of funny, the Dolphins haven't had good luck with Alabama football coaches :)

Last edited:

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I did not read all the threads so maybe I am duplicating. My thought is an agent is always trying to get a larger commission by hawking his singer, actor, coach or whatever. If he is not then he is not much of an agent. I think it is a built-in understanding that all agents are always promoting their clients. That way the client can say "I have not spoken to anyone from ______________."

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
What you say here has some merit, but I also think you have to give CNS his share of the credit too. To me Alabama and Nick Saban are the ultimate combo and that is the recipe we are enjoying now. When this relationship comes to an end, no matter what money/support we throw at the next guy, it is highly unlikely we will see the same success. On the flip, if CNS were to leave for Texas or any number of other big time schools I highly doubt he would be as successful either.
I agree with most of what you have said and would like to expand on your thought about Saban possibly not being as successful at Texas. Saban would be viewed by recruits more skeptically if he made another move since he would have proven once and for all that he doesn't stay at one place long term. The line of thinking would be is he going to be here for my entire college football career to recruits. The University of Texas administration is also a mess from a Board of Regents point of view with the Governor stacking their appointed board with many non UT alums who could care less about UTex. Saban would not put up with that kind of dysfunction for long. He pretty much knows he has the support of our entire BOT so he can count on the consistency here.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I agree, which is why I was happy to see Tressel go and wasn't happy when we signed Meyer, but you have to admit - winning beats the heck out of losing.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I get that and understand that, nor am I attempting to be a Saban apologist. Each fan is different in their view of this thing. My problem isn't with your comments here (not at all) but with the larger Crimson Nation sorta acting like spoiled children. At the time Saban came here we were at the lowest point since Coach Bryant entered the door as the coach. I recall JessN pointing out in his intro on Saban that even if Saban only stayed here two years, the program would be on much more solid footing.

The guy has won and won and won. No, he hasn't been perfect, but neither is anyone else. For every "what were you thinking" moment like the end of ATM in 2012, there's a "stick together and we'll get through this" moment like the 2014 LSU miracle.

But part of that is because he has earned it, too. He came here with a contract heavily slanted in his favor, the kind that would have allowed him to bolt pretty much when he wanted. We can get bothered by Saban toying with Texas - or maybe he didn't, I mean does anyone really know?

But know I DO agree with you on one solid point regarding this - I, too, am unhappy about how that last thing drug out for days. I think a lot of us were raw emotionally because of how the Iron Bowl ended plus Auburn winning the SEC right around that time. But - and not to disagree with you regarding the facts - I also seem to recall that the rumor about him having an unsigned contract on the desk or whatever it was was said to be untrue. There were a LOT of stories.

The one thing that DID bother me in addition to that was when the always serene and calm Tide-HSV seemed to have an inkling that it might not end well for us. So CA, I actually agree with you on the specifics about that whole thing; my exhortation was more to many of the passive fans we have here who rise and fall emotionally a tad too quickly (and as a game day moderator, you understand that far better than I do).

BadgerTidefan

1st Team
Dec 2, 2006
Jennings, FL
On the flip, if CNS were to leave for Texas or any number of other big time schools I highly doubt he would be as successful either.
I have several pairs of Crimson colored glasses, but I've always been of the opinion that CNS and Alabama is a special combination and while he would no doubt be successful and probably win a championship, his success somewhere else wouldn't approach whats possible here, including Texas.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I have several pairs of Crimson colored glasses, but I've always been of the opinion that CNS and Alabama is a special combination and while he would no doubt be successful and probably win a championship, his success somewhere else wouldn't approach whats possible here, including Texas.
I don't think I can agree with that. I think the SEC has become so brutal, that it's not really ideal anymore. The SEC can bring a contender to their knees. Look what happened to Auburn, Ole Miss, and Miss. State last year. They were contenders early and then ended up limping to the finish line looking just plain worn out.

I'd agree that the SEC is capable of elevating a program, or even a coach, but by the same token truly dominating the SEC is virtually impossible. Look at what Jimbo is doing at Florida State, or Urban Meyer at Ohio State. I don't think you can really do that in the SEC anymore, not with the signing limits and the sheer number of top level programs and elite recruits. I think Meyer might be the best example, he turned tail after Saban beat him twice and following four SEC losses in one season. In three seasons at Ohio State, he has yet to lose a regular season conference game, and he has 3 losses total.

So, I don't think there's any real question that there are other places that are easier to win at. Win three championships in four years? That might be different, but overall, just wins, winning the conference, being in the title hunt, there are better situations and honestly as I saw it that was probably a big part of the allure of Texas. Easier recruiting, no signing limit, as much if not more resources. Remember, Texas spends more than Alabama makes, $34,000,000 more last year on their athletic department. The spending gap between Texas and Alabama is literally so big that a modest sized D1 program, including an FBS team can be run with that amount of money!

That's not even counting what their boosters are capable of doing, Alabama just doesn't have that many rich people. So I was scared when the Texas talk came up, because they could have made Saban richer and the only real knock on what was going on there had to do with meddling by boosters and ineptitude of leadership. In terms of sheer resources, there's really not much of a comparison. They've got more recruits and they've got more money, they just have to get out of the way and hire a coach who knows how to use those resources properly.

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Yes, folks, Texas could have made Saban richer. But let me ask the same question I asked years ago to the Texas riff-raff making that same claim: "What exactly can you buy with $10 million a year that you cannot buy with $5 million a year?" The number of things is miniscule. It's not like Saban is hurting for money now, although I do recall hearing some stories about sold properties and bad investments, but I never got bogged down in the details.

It's not like Saban was making $300,000 at Mississippi State and won a national title and Texas knew they could throw the kitchen sink and get him.

And let me further ask the obvious: "Since Texas has so much more money than everyone else, why do they continually have so little to show on that return?"

If money bought championships, Texas would never lose a single game. Even if Colt did get hurt.

bamagradinATL

All-American
Sep 12, 2006
McKinney, TX
I haven't read the thread, but the end result was that if Saban truly wanted the Texas job, it was his for the taking. He chose not to leave and stay here to build his final legacy here in T-title town. All the naysayers in this article are only telling the Texas side of the story so take anything those blowhards say with a grain of salt.

Don't forget that Sexton would get a sizable raise had Saban left as well. We all know who and what Sexton is known for in coaching circles. Saban is likely his top client which means he'll do almost anything to leverage anyone he can to get more cash out a school for himself.
I don't know anyone, if in the position Saban is in would tell our agent "Don't go get me more money." I don't know anyone that would tell their current employer when yearly increases are given, "you don't have to give me a raise."

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
CNS would have never gotten total control at ut like he has now with us. That being said, at least we have a coach now that others want. That could not be said of the last 2 or 3 ding dongs we've had.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
CNS would have never gotten total control at ut like he has now with us. That being said, at least we have a coach now that others want. That could not be said of the last 2 or 3 ding dongs we've had.
Agree, too many cooks in the kitchen at Texas. I've always maintained and will continue to believe that this factored heavily into his decision to ultimately stay here. He has full control of the program with no interference, he and Terry both are treated like royalty, get everything they want, and then some. That would not happen at Texas.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
This in a nutshell is why UTex is not the number 1 job in the country as the media seems to believe simply because of money. Alabama is a better job in that the football coach has all the resources they have, a national brand name, and no interference from the BOT. UTex has some serious problems with booster's thinking that the longhorns are their pro-team.

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
I don't think I can agree with that. I think the SEC has become so brutal, that it's not really ideal anymore. The SEC can bring a contender to their knees. Look what happened to Auburn, Ole Miss, and Miss. State last year. They were contenders early and then ended up limping to the finish line looking just plain worn out.

I'd agree that the SEC is capable of elevating a program, or even a coach, but by the same token truly dominating the SEC is virtually impossible. Look at what Jimbo is doing at Florida State, or Urban Meyer at Ohio State. I don't think you can really do that in the SEC anymore, not with the signing limits and the sheer number of top level programs and elite recruits. I think Meyer might be the best example, he turned tail after Saban beat him twice and following four SEC losses in one season. In three seasons at Ohio State, he has yet to lose a regular season conference game, and he has 3 losses total.

So, I don't think there's any real question that there are other places that are easier to win at. Win three championships in four years? That might be different, but overall, just wins, winning the conference, being in the title hunt, there are better situations and honestly as I saw it that was probably a big part of the allure of Texas. Easier recruiting, no signing limit, as much if not more resources. Remember, Texas spends more than Alabama makes, $34,000,000 more last year on their athletic department. The spending gap between Texas and Alabama is literally so big that a modest sized D1 program, including an FBS team can be run with that amount of money!

That's not even counting what their boosters are capable of doing, Alabama just doesn't have that many rich people. So I was scared when the Texas talk came up, because they could have made Saban richer and the only real knock on what was going on there had to do with meddling by boosters and ineptitude of leadership. In terms of sheer resources, there's really not much of a comparison. They've got more recruits and they've got more money, they just have to get out of the way and hire a coach who knows how to use those resources properly.
I always enjoy reading your thoughts, but right now Texas is irrelevant and in a doomsday conference. As for Jimbo and Urban, my gosh they are playing in pathetic conferences. Sure Saban would win at either, but I do not believe for a second he would win 3 NC' in 4 years anywhere else but Alabama. Heck he could take Wake Forest and take them to their highest level ever, but it wouldn't be the same type of ultimate Success.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Saban inherited a Michigan State program that won 42% of its games the previous four seasons. In his five seasons there, he won 58%. When he got to LSU, the previous two seasons were 4-7 and 3-8. LSU won 54% of its games in the four seasons prior to his arrival due (9-2 and 9-3 in the other two seasons). He won 75% of his games in the five years he was there.

At Alabama, he inherited a program trying to gather itself from the destruction caused by probation and sanctions. Mike Shula won 53% of his games at Alabama. Saban quickly turned around the program and won 82% of his games in the first five seasons in Tuscaloosa.

Four Seasons PriorFirst Five SeasonsDifference
Michigan State42%58%+16%
LSU54%75%+21%
Alabama53%82%+29%

He was able to have a quicker turn around in Tuscaloosa because recruits knew him from his time at LSU. He wasn't in Miami too long, so he still had the relationship with high school coaches. He was a high profile name. If he entered Baton Rouge with the name recognition he had in 2007, he would have probably had the same turn around.

The Alabama tradition helped some, but I don't think it would have been a large difference maker compared to other places.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.