How Close was Saban to Coaching Texas

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who's perception of Saban changed over his Texas deal.

Yes, as a fan, it was insulting that he would allow his agent to keep that talk alive. If that was the extent of it, I prolly could jump over it (if it was just about the money...I understand there is a type mentality where a person can never have enough.)

But what bothered me most was the damage the Texas talk did to the prospects of pulling off an historic three-peat. At the time, some argued that having the team wondering if the coach was going to jump ship had no effect on team chemistry or moral.
That argument was negated when Saban recently explained the early draft predictions were what threw his most recent team a loop.

As focused as Saban is on every little detail I still can't understand why he would have allowed Sexton to undermine everything he had been working for by keeping the team and fanbase guessing where he was going to coach.

So what would I have had him do? Afterall, he's said he couldn't stop the rumors.

He should have called Sexton..."One more story generated by you in the media about me leaving Bama and I'm finding a new agent."
Then hold a press conference...make reference to Coach Bryant's disdain for cow colleges, then ask why anyone in their right mind would think he (Saban) would consider leaving Bama for a school with a cow for a mascot.

Without the team being upset, they go on to win the three-peat. Mal Moore then sends Saban a contract with the amount blank, and tells Saban to fill it in as he sees fit.

Things might not have worked out exactly that way, but I'm sorry Saban went the route he went. I'm very pleased he's still our coach, I hope he says a long time yet. But I do miss the chill bumps I used to get over the sight of Coach Bryant on the field.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who's perception of Saban changed over his Texas deal.

Yes, as a fan, it was insulting that he would allow his agent to keep that talk alive. If that was the extent of it, I prolly could jump over it (if it was just about the money...I understand there is a type mentality where a person can never have enough.)

But what bothered me most was the damage the Texas talk did to the prospects of pulling off an historic three-peat. At the time, some argued that having the team wondering if the coach was going to jump ship had no effect on team chemistry or moral.
That argument was negated when Saban recently explained the early draft predictions were what threw his most recent team a loop.

As focused as Saban is on every little detail I still can't understand why he would have allowed Sexton to undermine everything he had been working for by keeping the team and fanbase guessing where he was going to coach.

So what would I have had him do? Afterall, he's said he couldn't stop the rumors.

He should have called Sexton..."One more story generated by you in the media about me leaving Bama and I'm finding a new agent."
Then hold a press conference...make reference to Coach Bryant's disdain for cow colleges, then ask why anyone in their right mind would think he (Saban) would consider leaving Bama for a school with a cow for a mascot.

Without the team being upset, they go on to win the three-peat. Mal Moore then sends Saban a contract with the amount blank, and tells Saban to fill it in as he sees fit.

Things might not have worked out exactly that way, but I'm sorry Saban went the route he went. I'm very pleased he's still our coach, I hope he says a long time yet. But I do miss the chill bumps I used to get over the sight of Coach Bryant on the field.
I lost respect for him due to the way it was handled.

I will always believe that he and his agent orchestrated the entire thing to gain leverage and I think it is naive to believe that this all happened with saban being out of the loop to the extent that it was a "Hey, Texas called and wants you to be their coach" and "nah, I'm good" situation.

But the biggest problem that I have with the entire episode is how it exposed this undercurrent among the fan base that literally borders on cult of personality worship of a football coach...the idea that it is blasphemy to criticize the coach or question his motives or his comments and that anything outside total acceptance of his explanations makes one a barner.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL

I will always believe that he and his agent orchestrated the entire thing to gain leverage and I think it is naive to believe that this all happened with saban being out of the loop to the extent that it was a "Hey, Texas called and wants you to be their coach" and "nah, I'm good" situation.

But the biggest problem that I have with the entire episode is how it exposed this undercurrent among the fan base that literally borders on cult of personality worship of a football coach...the idea that it is blasphemy to criticize the coach or question his motives or his comments and that anything outside total acceptance of his explanations makes one a barner.
BINGO!

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

tungi01

1st Team
Apr 17, 2010
Dallas, TX

TiderMan

All-SEC
Feb 5, 2005
Moody, AL.
I have been watching this thread grow the last day or so and have read all the responses. I am truly baffled at some of the posters on here but everyone has an opinion. I don't know how close he came to going to Texas but I know that if he wanted to be in Texas, he would be their head coach right now. Instead, he chose to stay at Alabama. Just like when he chose to leave the Dolphins and come here 8 plus year ago. He chose Alabama. I am sure he could basically have any number of jobs in college and the NFL, but he chooses to stay at Alabama. Most said he would only stay here 2-3 years and now he is going into his 9th season. I for one am glad he came to Bama, glad he has stayed, and hope he continues to stay here and finish out his career. He has exceeded my expectations and created a new modern era for Bama football. I don't begrudge him in any way if he or his agent looked elsewhere and he hasn't done anything that other coaches haven't done in the past. It is all just more public now because we are so connected via the 24 hours sports media, social media, and fan sites like this one. So let's all sit back and enjoy the ride while it lasts.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
I have been watching this thread grow the last day or so and have read all the responses. I am truly baffled at some of the posters on here but everyone has an opinion. I don't know how close he came to going to Texas but I know that if he wanted to be in Texas, he would be their head coach right now. Instead, he chose to stay at Alabama. Just like when he chose to leave the Dolphins and come here 8 plus year ago. He chose Alabama. I am sure he could basically have any number of jobs in college and the NFL, but he chooses to stay at Alabama. Most said he would only stay here 2-3 years and now he is going into his 9th season. I for one am glad he came to Bama, glad he has stayed, and hope he continues to stay here and finish out his career. He has exceeded my expectations and created a new modern era for Bama football. I don't begrudge him in any way if he or his agent looked elsewhere and he hasn't done anything that other coaches haven't done in the past. It is all just more public now because we are so connected via the 24 hours sports media, social media, and fan sites like this one. So let's all sit back and enjoy the ride while it lasts.
I'm a Bama fan, not a coach's fan.

I'm happy he's the coach because he gives us a great chance to be successful, but I don't have a lot of respect for him outside his ability to coach a football team and that's fine, because his job isn't to make me like and respect him...it's to produce a successful football team.

That's about where it begins and ends for me.

64met

All-American
Oct 12, 2007
At this point, WHO CARES? CNS is our coach and when the day he retires, this site will be in meltdown. Good grief, the season starts soon! Let's enjoy CNS and this years team and STOP the what if game...

RT!

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I have defended Nick Saban, obviously, and I've said before that it is the over-the-top Alabama fans that are the most likely to run Nick Saban off. You know, the death threats to kickers, poisoning trees types. So, why I don't think your behavior falls under that category, I am sensitive to people who for what ever reason seem feel the need to be overtly critical of a perfectly competent head coach. This isn't Mike Shula, Mike Price, or Fran we're talking about here. If you said the same things about Gene Stallings, or Bear Bryant I'd probably take the same exception. I don't think being head coach brings with it god like powers or what not, I actually got in trouble here in regards to my negative tone during the previous coach's tenure. I simply think that some of the stuff said about Saban is just completely unnecessary, if not overtly false.

You have every right to dislike him personally, but what good does it do, on a forum we know some recruits (posts on this forum have been used in recruiting) and their family frequent to make overtly negative statements, especially since it isn't as though his job performance is suffering? It does no good, it's not helpful, even if true (which I don't think is always the case), nothing good can come of it. But, some of the stuff, and not necessarily what you said, but some is just absurd. Like the notion I've seen repeated here that basically says the Sabans wanted to leave for Texas because the statue to Nick wasn't big enough, that the adoration wasn't significant enough, and to believe that is just to operate under a complete delusion.

But, let's not forget some of the things you did say, which to me did kind of cross the line for statements made by and Alabama fan on an Alabama forum. There's just no need for stuff like this:
YUP.

i'm tired of hearing mr. gazillionaire (and his wife) whine and moan.

the product we saw on the field last week and in the second half of the ole miss game wasn't about the fans, it was about a dysfunctional poorly prepared team.

shut up and coach.
How is that helpful? How does that sound like anything but a angry fan that's mad at the coach because the team lost? It doesn't make you sound mature, it doesn't make your opinion of Nick Saban sound well reasoned either. If my opinion on that equates to "worship", so be it. Basically though, if people like you, didn't feel the need to say stuff like that, I wouldn't be here refuting anything. You see worship? Well, I see a lot of misplaced resentment and I honestly don't get it. I've seen you do this in thread after thread, a lot of times with some subtly but the tone doesn't change. Do I defend him consistently? Yes, as consistently as you deride him. What's the opposite of worship? Did you consider that perhaps both sides, yours and mine go too far? I expect fans of other teams, and even the media to have very negative things to say about Nick Saban, and I don't go hunting them down and arguing with them. But, Alabama fans on this forum? Really?

Edit: Just to be clear, I do not have any real issue, with general sentiments expressed by posters like crimsonaudio or RTR91. That's not really the type of thing I'm talking about it, it's the type of posts that seem more at home on an LSU or Auburn forum that I find disconcerting.

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
But what bothered me most was the damage the Texas talk did to the prospects of pulling off an historic three-peat. At the time, some argued that having the team wondering if the coach was going to jump ship had no effect on team chemistry or moral. That argument was negated when Saban recently explained the early draft predictions were what threw his most recent team a loop.
Not only is this an assumption, it's a rather poor one to put it mildly. So Saban running out and hugging AJ after the LSU win and the fans staying didn't help team chemistry? We saw a guy who seemingly liked what he was doing and had finally let his hair down.

This is borderline, "if Colt hadn't gotten hurt." Fact is that we were in the Auburn red zone three times in the final eight minutes of the Iron Bowl and didn't get one single point out of it.

Furthermore, MOST of the big story didn't even develop until AFTER the Iron Bowl, by which point we had no shot at a 3-peat anyway.

At which point the sports shows all grab the Miami tape from December 2006 and it becomes an EVEN BIGGER STORY!!!! If you don't think that is exactly what would have happened, you don't know how the press in this country operates.

Chris Fowler: "Saban heatedly denied that he's leaving Alabama, but we've heard this before at previous stops" (plays the Miami tape)

Corso: "A three-peat would be unparalleled in college history. I think Saban does it and then goes for another historical achievement of national titles at THREE separate schools - LSU, Alabama, and Texas."

Herbstreit: "It would be so much easier as Urban Meyer's success at Ohio State shows - the SEC is a different animal altogether, and he may be tired of the grind. But on the other hand, if he DOES win three in a row then why wouldn't he stay and try to make it four?"

Lou Holth: "I thpoke with the Notre Dame alumnuh and they tell me, "Coath, he'th going to Tex-thith and has recommended Kirby Sthmart as his replathement." You can bank on it - Thaban in Tex-thith. Take it to the bank.

Mark May: I don't see this happening because if you use the argument that Saban is a program builder who likes a challenge - I mean what challenge is there in Texas? You have more money and more of what you want to get what you need, a large recruiting base AND....AND.....no longer do you even worry about Texas A/M. He stays at Alabama.

Fowler: "But again...." (plays the Miami clip)

Without the team being upset, they go on to win the three-peat.
Why didn't they lose one of the other 12 games back when the rumors were hottest - like, say, ATM then?

Mal Moore then sends Saban a contract with the amount blank, and tells Saban to fill it in as he sees fit.
Gee, Mal could have just sent him some of the streets of gold from his current residence in 2013, couldn't he?

You DO know Mal passed in MARCH of 2013, don't you?

Things might not have worked out exactly that way,
No pun intended but regarding this last about Mal Moore - I'd bet my life on it that it wouldn't have worked out that way.

but I'm sorry Saban went the route he went. I'm very pleased he's still our coach, I hope he says a long time yet. But I do miss the chill bumps I used to get over the sight of Coach Bryant on the field.
Coach Bryant played here, Saban did not.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I have defended Nick Saban, obviously, and I've said before that it is the over-the-top Alabama fans that are the most likely to run Nick Saban off. You know, the death threats to kickers, poisoning trees types. So, why I don't think your behavior falls under that category, I am sensitive to people who for what ever reason seem feel the need to be overtly critical of a perfectly competent head coach. This isn't Mike Shula, Mike Price, or Fran we're talking about here. If you said the same things about Gene Stallings, or Bear Bryant I'd probably take the same exception. I don't think being head coach brings with it god like powers or what not, I actually got in trouble here in regards to my negative tone during the previous coach's tenure. I simply think that some of the stuff said about Saban is just completely unnecessary, if not overtly false.

You have every right to dislike him personally, but what good does it do, on a forum we know some recruits (posts on this forum have been used in recruiting) and their family frequent to make overtly negative statements, especially since it isn't as though his job performance is suffering? It does no good, it's not helpful, even if true (which I don't think is always the case), nothing good can come of it. But, some of the stuff, and not necessarily what you said, but some is just absurd. Like the notion I've seen repeated here that basically says the Sabans wanted to leave for Texas because the statue to Nick wasn't big enough, that the adoration wasn't significant enough, and to believe that is just to operate under a complete delusion.

But, let's not forget some of the things you did say, which to me did kind of cross the line for statements made by and Alabama fan on an Alabama forum. There's just no need for stuff like this:

How is that helpful? How does that sound like anything but a angry fan that's mad at the coach because the team lost? It doesn't make you sound mature, it doesn't make your opinion of Nick Saban sound well reasoned either. If my opinion on that equates to "worship", so be it. Basically though, if people like you, didn't feel the need to say stuff like that, I wouldn't be here refuting anything. You see worship? Well, I see a lot of misplaced resentment and I honestly don't get it. I've seen you do this in thread after thread, a lot of times with some subtly but the tone doesn't change. Do I defend him consistently? Yes, as consistently as you deride him. What's the opposite of worship? Did you consider that perhaps both sides, yours and mine go too far? I expect fans of other teams, and even the media to have very negative things to say about Nick Saban, and I don't go hunting them down and arguing with them. But, Alabama fans on this forum? Really?

Edit: Just to be clear, I do not have any real issue, with general sentiments expressed by posters like crimsonaudio or RTR91. They have their personal opinions and generally speaking I think they express those in a reasonable fashion. No one, not even Alabama fans have an obligation to like Nick Saban. I have seen behavior from others that I think fuels resentment and expressed real antipathy and perhaps the posters aren't even aware of that, but where is the line. At what point does it become completely unhealthy much in the same way that some feel adoration for Nick Saban might be?

I think it rubbed a lot of people the wrong way for many reasons, but most older bama fans view the alabama job as the greatest job a coach can ever have and it is an insult if any great coach at alabama flirts with leaving. Also you have to consider Fran jobbing alabama wasn't too long ago in many peoples minds. Whether they admit it or not him leaving hurt badly. Also consider most people take any slant at the fans as an insult and saban does it atleast once a year.

Personally I thought CNS would be here 5 years and would leave, so really I didn't so hard and plus the saban to wherever rumors happen often so really why was this time so shocking?

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Not only is this an assumption, it's a rather poor one to put it mildly. So Saban running out and hugging AJ after the LSU win and the fans staying didn't help team chemistry? We saw a guy who seemingly liked what he was doing and had finally let his hair down.

This is borderline, "if Colt hadn't gotten hurt." Fact is that we were in the Auburn red zone three times in the final eight minutes of the Iron Bowl and didn't get one single point out of it.

Furthermore, MOST of the big story didn't even develop until AFTER the Iron Bowl, by which point we had no shot at a 3-peat anyway.

At which point the sports shows all grab the Miami tape from December 2006 and it becomes an EVEN BIGGER STORY!!!! If you don't think that is exactly what would have happened, you don't know how the press in this country operates.

Chris Fowler: "Saban heatedly denied that he's leaving Alabama, but we've heard this before at previous stops" (plays the Miami tape)

Corso: "A three-peat would be unparalleled in college history. I think Saban does it and then goes for another historical achievement of national titles at THREE separate schools - LSU, Alabama, and Texas."

Herbstreit: "It would be so much easier as Urban Meyer's success at Ohio State shows - the SEC is a different animal altogether, and he may be tired of the grind. But on the other hand, if he DOES win three in a row then why wouldn't he stay and try to make it four?"

Lou Holth: "I thpoke with the Notre Dame alumnuh and they tell me, "Coath, he'th going to Tex-thith and has recommended Kirby Sthmart as his replathement." You can bank on it - Thaban in Tex-thith. Take it to the bank.

Mark May: I don't see this happening because if you use the argument that Saban is a program builder who likes a challenge - I mean what challenge is there in Texas? You have more money and more of what you want to get what you need, a large recruiting base AND....AND.....no longer do you even worry about Texas A/M. He stays at Alabama.

Fowler: "But again...." (plays the Miami clip)

Why didn't they lose one of the other 12 games back when the rumors were hottest - like, say, ATM then?

Gee, Mal could have just sent him some of the streets of gold from his current residence in 2013, couldn't he?

You DO know Mal passed in MARCH of 2013, don't you?

No pun intended but regarding this last about Mal Moore - I'd bet my life on it that it wouldn't have worked out that way.

Coach Bryant played here, Saban did not.
I will concede you are correct about one thing...Mal was gone when this went down. I simply have a different opinion than you about the other issues you go on about.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I think it rubbed a lot of people the wrong way for many reasons, but most older bama fans view the alabama job as the greatest job a coach can ever have and it is an insult if any great coach at alabama flirts with leaving. Also you have to consider Fran jobbing alabama wasn't too long ago in many peoples minds. Whether they admit it or not him leaving hurt badly. Also consider most people take any slant at the fans as an insult and saban does it atleast once a year.

Personally I thought CNS would be here 5 years and would leave, so really I didn't so hard and plus the saban to wherever rumors happen often so really why was this time so shocking?
Well I am a older Alabama fan and quite frankly the Alabama job is no better than Florida, Georgia or LSU in the SEC. Add tOSU, Michigan Southern Cal, Oklahoma and Texas outside the conference. The fact that CNS may or may not have flirted with Texas was not an insult to me, but IMO it was a distraction to his team and coaches. As for Franchione, I am sure you were kidding when you said it hurt badly.

This is why rival fans view Alabama fans in such a poor light. This is also why going against the grain on this site infuriates so many on here. Alabama is a great football program steeped in rich tradition, but so many fans' expectations are totally unrealistic (every year they expect a perfect season, the SECC and of course the NC). When this doesn't happen then the finger pointing starts and of course the ever present excuses for a loss. Fun is made of auburn fans for doing this yet Alabama fans do the exact same thing. As for CNS talking about expectations and NC or bust is totally spot on. I am not defending CNS, but Alabama fans in general can be delusional. Some things in life change, this is not one of them.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Well I am a older Alabama fan and quite frankly the Alabama job is no better than Florida, Georgia or LSU in the SEC. Add tOSU, Michigan Southern Cal, Oklahoma and Texas outside the conference. The fact that CNS may or may not have flirted with Texas was not an insult to me, but IMO it was a distraction to his team and coaches. As for Franchione, I am sure you were kidding when you said it hurt badly.

This is why rival fans view Alabama fans in such a poor light. This is also why going against the grain on this site infuriates so many on here. Alabama is a great football program steeped in rich tradition, but so many fans' expectations are totally unrealistic (every year they expect a perfect season, the SECC and of course the NC). When this doesn't happen then the finger pointing starts and of course the ever present excuses for a loss. Fun is made of auburn fans for doing this yet Alabama fans do the exact same thing. As for CNS talking about expectations and NC or bust is totally spot on. I am not defending CNS, but Alabama fans in general can be delusional. Some things in life change, this is not one of them.
100% agree with the bold part. Pointing out anything with the program or coaches that could be improved is met with the same few crazy folks calling blasphemy. In another thread I mentioned that Alabama could improve QB recruitment/development and you would have thought that I pushed over CNS statue. Overall I love this website/forum but I don't get why some folks can't get/respect that someone may have a different opinion than you and they may not want to argue every little subpoint.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

I agree with most of what you say. I referenced "older" because you get a lot of the: "I don't like it because it's not like the bear", "football is all about ethics at alabama", and " I can't stand kiffin because he passes". I could've easily referenced the younger crowd that goes blasting on other sites but most of them don't survive because of the filter. But like you said we have some delusional fans and unrealistic ones too.

I really don't care if saban isn't an "alabama" man deep down inside, but he gave us one of the most dominant runs in history, and I greatly appreciate that.

I also agree it's hard to say anything without people either taking out context or get them mad.

As for the Fran thing... At the time it hurt but in hindsite it doesn't because where he stands now compared to where we do. I'll leave it at that

Last edited:

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina

You lost me with the first paragraph .

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.