How Close was Saban to Coaching Texas

RJ YellowHammer

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
Memphis, Tn
The game should not have come down to a 57 yard field goal. Bama should have won that game, but the play-calling was more than questionable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'll take it a step further. The play calling was bad and much of the scheme was poorly conceived. Worse, we didn't react well at all to what API was doing and players looked lost at times on the defensive side of the ball. It happens to the best of them.

To my point, none of that has anything to do with CNS's flirtation with Texas. Coaches look. Some older Bama guys will need to fill in some specifics, but I believe Coach Bryant had some serious flirtations with The Dolphins.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
The game should not have come down to a 57 yard field goal. Bama should have won that game, but the play-calling was more than questionable.

True - and that's on Saban.

But folks pretending that Saban lost the Auburn game because he was thinking about coaching Texas seriously need their heads examined. Is this projection because Franchione WAS thinking about coaching aTm during the 2002 Iron Bowl?

Let me give everyone a good example - remember the 2012 UGA game? Right after the Dix interception we were at the UGA 47-yard line with 1:15 left. (This all got lost in the hub-bub about Dial'***** on Aaron Murray). We had three timeouts and 1:15 to move 47 yards for a touchdown.

Yeldon ran for eight yards and then McCarron threw an incomplete. Then we ran the ball again. Then McCarron took off running on each of the next two plays and finally - FINALLY - we called timeout with five second left and settled for a field goal and a 10-7 halftime lead.

It was botched clock management along the lines of Les Miles, and Saban even blamed himself for it on the interview going in. Two timeouts passed into history never to be used and we had to fight and scrape to win the game.

And most of us probably yelled at him for the call for two in the third quarter that wound up making the difference in the game.

And let's not even comment upon that fake punt to start the 2010 BCSNCG against Texas. I'm sure in Saban's genius that was to set up the Colt McCoy injury, right?

So NO - Saban is NOT above criticism.

But trying to say the reason we lost the 2013 Iron Bowl was because of the Texas flirtation is laughably absurd on its face. Keep in mind that without the FIRST miracle at JHS two weeks earlier, even losing that game would not have made a difference.

I take that back - it sure would have because if we'd have beaten Mizzou and made the title game again, the stories about Brown and Saban that dominated the news that week would never have happened. And nobody would be making ridiculous suggestions like that.

In a related story, I now must confess that I knew Alabama was in trouble in the 1990 Sugar Bowl because Bill Curry was flirting with leaving us for Kentucky.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover

But folks pretending that Saban lost the Auburn game because he was thinking about coaching Texas seriously need their heads examined. Is this projection because Franchione WAS thinking about coaching aTm during the 2002 Iron Bowl?

Let me give everyone a good example - remember the 2012 UGA game? Right after the Dix interception we were at the UGA 47-yard line with 1:15 left. (This all got lost in the hub-bub about Dial'***** on Aaron Murray). We had three timeouts and 1:15 to move 47 yards for a touchdown.

Yeldon ran for eight yards and then McCarron threw an incomplete. Then we ran the ball again. Then McCarron took off running on each of the next two plays and finally - FINALLY - we called timeout with five second left and settled for a field goal and a 10-7 halftime lead.

It was botched clock management along the lines of Les Miles, and Saban even blamed himself for it on the interview going in. Two timeouts passed into history never to be used and we had to fight and scrape to win the game.

And most of us probably yelled at him for the call for two in the third quarter that wound up making the difference in the game.

And let's not even comment upon that fake punt to start the 2010 BCSNCG against Texas. I'm sure in Saban's genius that was to set up the Colt McCoy injury, right?

But trying to say the reason we lost the 2013 Iron Bowl was because of the Texas flirtation is laughably absurd on its face. Keep in mind that without the FIRST miracle at JHS two weeks earlier, even losing that game would not have made a difference.

I take that back - it sure would have because if we'd have beaten Mizzou and made the title game again, the stories about Brown and Saban that dominated the news that week would never have happened. And nobody would be making ridiculous suggestions like that.

In a related story, I now must confess that I knew Alabama was in trouble in the 1990 Sugar Bowl because Bill Curry was flirting with leaving us for Kentucky.
Well said and I agree wholeheartedly...

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001

But folks pretending that Saban lost the Auburn game because he was thinking about coaching Texas seriously need their heads examined.
That is not at all the point I was making.

My suggestion was that the Texas talk was a distraction to the team, especially late in the season. Not the definitive reason they lost. It was an element that could have been handed better to offer less distraction to the team.

Saban himself has said players can lose their focus over early draft predictions. It's a real stretch to say the season long speculation in the national media about whether Saban was going to jump ship had no effect on the team's focus.

And now Saban tells us that he and Sexton discussed the Texas job 15 times over that time period, but since he said no each time everything is good.

If someone came to me and asked me to do something and I said no, and they continued to ask fourteen more times...that's hard to understand. It's almost like they were negotiating, with Texas bettering their offer 14 times, only to be finally turned down.

mrusso

1st Team
Apr 17, 2006

So what you're saying is Saban was thinking about coaching Texas even back during the 2012 UGA game.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
So what you're saying is Saban was thinking about coaching Texas even back during the 2012 UGA game.
EXACTLY

To the tune of an old Jim Croce song:

"Moderators, oh could you help us close this thread
I see the memories here on TideFans are old and faded
They're talking about U-T, fear Saban's going there you see
To go where even the cheerleaders are overrated

But isn't that the way they say it goes
WELL LET'S FORGET ALL THAT!!!"

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina
EXACTLY

To the tune of an old Jim Croce song:

"Moderators, oh could you help us close this thread
I see the memories here on TideFans are old and faded
They're talking about U-T, fear Saban's going there you see
To go where even the cheerleaders are overrated

But isn't that the way they say it goes
WELL LET'S FORGET ALL THAT!!!"
And crank up the season with ole Wisconsin
So we can watch Bama win again and we'll know
We've overcome the blow, we've learned to take it well
Let Urban Meyer know he'll soon be back in hell cause it just wasn't real
But that's not the way it feels ...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.