How Close was Saban to Coaching Texas

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I question anything that comes from an "unauthorized book". I will say that I have no doubt there were discussions between Sexton and UT, but I think it was Sexton being Sexton and trying to get the best deal for his client. It's kind of a shame though, because Bama would probably give Saban whatever he wants without having to drag UT into the picture.

Roll Tide 57

1st Team
Oct 20, 2014
Plant City FL
A friends brother of a 3rd cousin of someone we know had another guy tell him CNS was on his way out & that was verified by Paul Finebaum.

There you have it straight from the source.

Give me a break.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
Without reading the link, I would guess Saban going to Texas wasn't as close as the media would have us believe but probably closer than we want to admit.

I will say this, I believe RichRod coming to Bama was way closer than Saban going to Texas.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
True or not, it only matters if you think that the things that influenced him in the past might influence him in the future. It is not crazy to think that they might, but it is also not a given. Saban, just like the rest of us, has changed in the last few years. I just don't see him coaching anywhere but Alabama. Alabama has become more than his legacy now.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
Does anyone seriously believe that sexton operated without sabans knowledge or input?

That would be completely out of character for a guy known as being obsessed with details and who wants to be in total control.

I don't know how close or far he was from leaving, but to me, it's just ridiculous to think he wasn't involved in the entire affair.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
So, I'm assuming you believe that everything in this article is true?
Nope, not all of it.
What exactly "lost" you as a fan? I'm just curious or wondering if there's something else that rubbed you the wrong way.
Saban could have put an end to all of this had he wanted to. He let it play out, let the smoke billow for a few weeks with a new contract sitting on his desk, unsigned.

I could list a number of reasons why I'm not a 'Saban fan', but there's little point in diving into it here. I'll support him as long as he's at Alabama and wish him the very best while he's our coach, but that's the extent of it.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Nope, not all of it.

Saban could have put an end to all of this had he wanted to. He let it play out, let the smoke billow for a few weeks with a new contract sitting on his desk, unsigned.

I could list a number of reasons why I'm not a 'Saban fan', but there's little point in diving into it here. I'll support him as long as he's at Alabama and wish him the very best while he's our coach, but that's the extent of it.
What a lot of Bama fans do not want to acknowledge is that Saban is a football coach by trade and he is not a lifelong UA fan. To Coach Bryant, the UofA was "momma" and "momma called" and he came home. The UofA is not home to Saban, it is a job.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
What a lot of Bama fans do not want to acknowledge is that Saban is a football coach by trade and he is not a lifelong UA fan. To Coach Bryant, the UofA was "momma" and "momma called" and he came home. The UofA is not home to Saban, it is a job.
That's no different than 99% of the workforce. If you get an offer of more money and a better opportunity for yourself and your family you have to take it, or at least listen. Almost all of us would do the exact same thing. I completely agree with you that UA to Saban is nothing more than a job, and there's nothing wrong with that IMO. It's all business..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Nope, not all of it.

I'm in the same boat.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
As much as I hate to admit this, I agree 100% with ya Brad, it was a situation I too think, Coach Saban could have & actually "Should" have ended those Texas rumors, all it did was cause unneeded drama at Bama, especially with recruits at that time..It is what it is though & I will support Coach Saban to the bitter end no matter how it plays out..I think Coach Saban will retire from Bama & it will be his "Coaching Legacy" with a couple more NC's before it's all said & done..I may get flamed by some for stating that, but, I truly think "The Best Has Yet To Come for Coach Saban here at Bama..I'll buckle up & enjoy the ride til it's over with Coach Saban at Bama..JMHO..
Nope, not all of it.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Key figure not mentioned in the link is UT AD Steve Patterson. It is said that he killed the deal because he thought Sexton was using UT to get a raise for Saban. One would not use nice words to describe Patterson, and he is about to be sent packing.

"Texas athletic director Steve Patterson has been told to change his personal style, three sources familiar with the process confirmed Wednesday.
The sources cautioned that Patterson hasn’t yet reached the point of no return with new school president Greg Fenves. The two are scheduled to talk again Friday, sources said, as part of regularly scheduled meetings. In previous meetings, Fenves has expressed concern and told Patterson of the need to change an approach that some see as impersonal or even arrogant."

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/co...-steve-patterson-to-change-personal-style.ece

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
That's no different than 99% of the workforce. If you get an offer of more money and a better opportunity for yourself and your family you have to take it, or at least listen. Almost all of us would do the exact same thing. I completely agree with you that UA to Saban is nothing more than a job, and there's nothing wrong with that IMO. It's all business..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agreed. My point was that there a lot of Bama fans that truly believe that CNS bleeds Crimson and White and is as passionate about UA as we fans. That was true of Coach Bryant but is not the case with CNS.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Being a real believer in every man earning whatever he thinks that he can make, especially in a field like coaching where there is no such thing as job security, I don't see this as a bad way of handling the situation. Yes, he could have nipped it in the bud, but why would he? This is his life, and he played his hand. He held his cards close to gain greater advantage. That is just how the game is played by professionals.

There were no victims here. No one was left holding the rope. If some people had their feeling hurt, they will get over it with the next championship.

scrodz

1st Team
Jan 29, 2008
Baltimore, MD
As much as I hate to admit this, I agree 100% with ya Brad, it was a situation I too think, Coach Saban could have & actually "Should" have ended those Texas rumors, all it did was cause unneeded drama at Bama, especially with recruits at that time..It is what it is though & I will support Coach Saban to the bitter end no matter how it plays out..I think Coach Saban will retire from Bama & it will be his "Coaching Legacy" with a couple more NC's before it's all said & done..I may get flamed by some for stating that, but, I truly think "The Best Has Yet To Come for Coach Saban here at Bama..I'll buckle up & enjoy the ride til it's over with Coach Saban at Bama..JMHO..
I can hear it now: "I guess I'll just have to say it. I'm not going to be the Texas coach."

While I'm sure Saban knew what Sexton was up to, there's no way he could have issued a denial that would have done anything other than inflame the situation. Sometimes it's best to keep your mouth shut.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.