How Close was Saban to Coaching Texas

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Wow. 9 pages about CNS may have been close to leaving.
But didn't.

Maybe we could spend the next 9 pages posting about how he may have been close to not coming to Alabama in the first place.

Must be the off-season
That whizzing sound was the point flying over your head...

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
I have defended Nick Saban, obviously, and I've said before that it is the over-the-top Alabama fans that are the most likely to run Nick Saban off. You know, the death threats to kickers, poisoning trees types. So, why I don't think your behavior falls under that category, I am sensitive to people who for what ever reason seem feel the need to be overtly critical of a perfectly competent head coach. This isn't Mike Shula, Mike Price, or Fran we're talking about here. If you said the same things about Gene Stallings, or Bear Bryant I'd probably take the same exception. I don't think being head coach brings with it god like powers or what not, I actually got in trouble here in regards to my negative tone during the previous coach's tenure. I simply think that some of the stuff said about Saban is just completely unnecessary, if not overtly false.

You have every right to dislike him personally, but what good does it do, on a forum we know some recruits (posts on this forum have been used in recruiting) and their family frequent to make overtly negative statements, especially since it isn't as though his job performance is suffering? It does no good, it's not helpful, even if true (which I don't think is always the case), nothing good can come of it. But, some of the stuff, and not necessarily what you said, but some is just absurd. Like the notion I've seen repeated here that basically says the Sabans wanted to leave for Texas because the statue to Nick wasn't big enough, that the adoration wasn't significant enough, and to believe that is just to operate under a complete delusion.

But, let's not forget some of the things you did say, which to me did kind of cross the line for statements made by and Alabama fan on an Alabama forum. There's just no need for stuff like this:

How is that helpful? How does that sound like anything but a angry fan that's mad at the coach because the team lost? It doesn't make you sound mature, it doesn't make your opinion of Nick Saban sound well reasoned either. If my opinion on that equates to "worship", so be it. Basically though, if people like you, didn't feel the need to say stuff like that, I wouldn't be here refuting anything. You see worship? Well, I see a lot of misplaced resentment and I honestly don't get it. I've seen you do this in thread after thread, a lot of times with some subtly but the tone doesn't change. Do I defend him consistently? Yes, as consistently as you deride him. What's the opposite of worship? Did you consider that perhaps both sides, yours and mine go too far? I expect fans of other teams, and even the media to have very negative things to say about Nick Saban, and I don't go hunting them down and arguing with them. But, Alabama fans on this forum? Really?

Edit: Just to be clear, I do not have any real issue, with general sentiments expressed by posters like crimsonaudio or RTR91. That's not really the type of thing I'm talking about it, it's the type of posts that seem more at home on an LSU or Auburn forum that I find disconcerting.
far from refuting anything, your diatribes prove my point.

the only line's not to be crossed on this forum are those imposed by the moderators and administrators.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
far from refuting anything, your diatribes prove my point.

the only line's not to be crossed on this forum are those imposed by the moderators and administrators.
If you think that there is no standard of behavior for fans of a sports team, then you and I will never see eye to eye on this. You can call Nick Saban "mr. gazillionaire", call him a whiner, and tell him to shut up (which is exactly what you did). You have that right, but I don't see how that's the way anyone would expect an Alabama fan to conduct them self in "public" so to speak. The rules on this forum are another issue entirely.

Now you have made it clear that you think some people go too far in their support of Nick Saban and I have made it clear I think some people go too far in their incessant criticism and name calling. Like I said, may be both of us go too far, but the fact that you don't seem to think there's anything off kilter about what you said is baffling to me.

Last edited:

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
If you think that there is no standard of behavior for fans of a sports team, then you and I will never see eye to eye on this. You can call Nick Saban "mr. gazillionaire", call him a whiner, and tell him to shut up (which is exactly what you did). You have that right, but I don't see how that's the way anyone would expect an Alabama fan to conduct them self in "public" so to speak. The rules on this forum are another issue entirely. Though, do you think any LSU or Auburn fan would get away with making those same statements here about Nick Saban? I doubt it.

Now you have made it clear that you think some people go too far in their support of Nick Saban and I have made it clear I think some people here go too far in their incessant criticism and name calling. Like I said, may be both of us go too far, but the fact that you don't seem to think there's anything off kilter about what you said is baffling to me.
you may have a point were my comments incessantly (meaning without pause or interruption) critical of saban...they are not.

I give him credit where it is due, and I give him criticism when it is due.

you are free to believe whatever you wish to believe.

and nothing further I sayeth lest I run afoul of the rules on sparring.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I think it rubbed a lot of people the wrong way for many reasons, but most older bama fans view the alabama job as the greatest job a coach can ever have and it is an insult if any great coach at alabama flirts with leaving.
81usaf92 made the above statement in the context of Coach Saban's real or perceived dalliance with Texas. He stated that older fans viewed Alabama as the greatest job a coach could have and it was an insult to flirt with Texas. My comment was meant to state that I did not view it as an insult and that there are quite a few coaching jobs on par with Alabama; to which I knew some on here would take offense which is okay.

RJ YellowHammer

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
Memphis, Tn
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who's perception of Saban changed over his Texas deal.

Yes, as a fan, it was insulting that he would allow his agent to keep that talk alive. If that was the extent of it, I prolly could jump over it (if it was just about the money...I understand there is a type mentality where a person can never have enough.)

But what bothered me most was the damage the Texas talk did to the prospects of pulling off an historic three-peat. At the time, some argued that having the team wondering if the coach was going to jump ship had no effect on team chemistry or moral.
That argument was negated when Saban recently explained the early draft predictions were what threw his most recent team a loop.

As focused as Saban is on every little detail I still can't understand why he would have allowed Sexton to undermine everything he had been working for by keeping the team and fanbase guessing where he was going to coach.

So what would I have had him do? Afterall, he's said he couldn't stop the rumors.

He should have called Sexton..."One more story generated by you in the media about me leaving Bama and I'm finding a new agent."
Then hold a press conference...make reference to Coach Bryant's disdain for cow colleges, then ask why anyone in their right mind would think he (Saban) would consider leaving Bama for a school with a cow for a mascot.

Without the team being upset, they go on to win the three-peat. Mal Moore then sends Saban a contract with the amount blank, and tells Saban to fill it in as he sees fit.

Things might not have worked out exactly that way, but I'm sorry Saban went the route he went. I'm very pleased he's still our coach, I hope he says a long time yet. But I do miss the chill bumps I used to get over the sight of Coach Bryant on the field.
You know we got beat on a missed FG returned for a TD right? That happened because of Coach Saban's being distracted by his contract situation?

CNS is going to look out for his self interests. Whoever sits in the AD chair at The Capstone is going to look after the larger interests of UA. Feelings will be hurt. Egos will be crushed. As long as we're in the top 5 every year, there's no reason to gripe about the contractual wrangling IMO. The process is working, The Process is still working too.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
You know we got beat on a missed FG returned for a TD right? That happened because of Coach Saban's being distracted by his contract situation?

CNS is going to look out for his self interests. Whoever sits in the AD chair at The Capstone is going to look after the larger interests of UA. Feelings will be hurt. Egos will be crushed. As long as we're in the top 5 every year, there's no reason to gripe about the contractual wrangling IMO. The process is working, The Process is still working too.
Well coach didn't have a problem blaming a lack of player (AJ) leadership. CV made a good point IMO.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Well, to hear some tell it Alabama lost to Ole Miss because of Coach Saban's distractions or something. I don't know, it's hard to follow but I think it boils down to if Saban wasn't worried about his contract and the fans, Alabama would never lose a game. Pay no attention to the injured and inexperienced players, or the fluke plays, clearly that can't be a factor.

Well coach didn't have a problem blaming a lack of player (AJ) leadership. CV made a good point IMO.
I'd like to see the quote where he specifically blamed AJ's lack of leadership on a loss. Otherwise, that's just another misattribution, which I've seen a lot of.

Here's the deal though. Nick Saban's track record is unparalleled. I know he knows what he's doing, I know he's good at his job. So if he does say lack of leadership is an issue, then I'm inclined to believe him.

What's more likely, some young kid is the problem or you know the guy with all those championships? Nick Saban won 4 BCS championships, which is double what anyone else won right? Along with that, he was in contention several other years. He knows what he's doing and I have no doubt that if you give him the right guys, with the right experience, maturity, skill, and yes even some luck, he can lead them to another one. It's just not easy to get the right combination. There is no doubt in my mind that Saban's preparation is stellar, his efforts to focus the team, his methods, his ways of doing things are proven to be the best in all of college football. I simply don't buy that he's the weak link. And, in some cases, as I've made clear, I don't blame the team either, sometimes it's just plain old dumb luck.

I see a mentality repeated, by a few people in a few forms and it's just... weird. There is some actual resentment, some actual angst with the fact that Saban didn't win every single game, I mean he owed everyone three in a row right? You know, the not overly entitled, the not-under appreciative people, he owed them that didn't he? And to not deliver.. well how dare he!

People who are spoiled have trouble understanding they are spoiled. They just know that they're used to getting everything they want, and when they don't, they don't know how to deal with it. That's the only thing I can make of the situation on the part of some. Saban said or did something they didn't like, then Alabama lost?!?! They lost? Well had to have been a screw up by Saban, clearly there's a direct correlation and a failure on his part. Never mind that Bear Bryant lost big games to, because that doesn't count, nor did his flirting with the Miami Dolphins, because he's Bear Bryant and Nick Saban isn't. It's all perfectly logical isn't?

Last edited:

RJ YellowHammer

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
Memphis, Tn
Coach's points about leadership have been:

1) that it's extremely beneficial when the best players are the most motivated.

2) over achievers hate goof offs and good offs hate over achievers.

I've never heard him single any player out for being a "bad" leader.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Well, to hear some tell it Alabama lost to Ole Miss because of Coach Saban's distractions or something. I don't know, it's hard to follow but I think it boils down to if Saban wasn't worried about his contract and the fans, Alabama would never lose a game. Pay no attention to the injured and inexperienced players, or the fluke plays, clearly that can't be a factor.

I'd like to see the quote where he specifically blamed AJ's lack of leadership on a loss. Otherwise, that's just another misattribution, which I've seen a lot of.

Here's the deal though. Nick Saban's track record is unparalleled. I know he knows what he's doing, I know he's good at his job. So if he does say lack of leadership is an issue, then I'm inclined to believe him.

What's more likely, some young kid is the problem or you know the guy with all those championships? Nick Saban won 4 BCS championships, which is double what anyone else won right? Along with that, he was in contention several other years. He knows what he's doing and I have no doubt that if you give him the right guys, with the right experience, maturity, skill, and yes even some luck, he can lead them to another one. It's just not easy to get the right combination. There is no doubt in my mind that Saban's preparation is stellar, his efforts to focus the team, his methods, his ways of doing things are proven to be the best in all of college football. I simply don't buy that he's the weak link. And, in some cases, as I've made clear, I don't blame the team either, sometimes it's just plain old dumb luck.

I see a mentality repeated, by a few people in a few forms and it's just... weird. There is some actual resentment, some actual angst with the fact that Saban didn't win every single game, I mean he owed everyone three in a row right? You know, the not overly entitled, the not-under appreciative people, he owed them that didn't he? And to not deliver.. well how dare he!

People who are spoiled have trouble understanding they are spoiled. They just know that they're used to getting everything they want, and when they don't, they don't know how to deal with it. That's the only thing I can make of the situation on the part of some. Saban said or did something they didn't like, then Alabama lost?!?! They lost? Well had to have been a screw up by Saban, clearly there's a direct correlation and a failure on his part. Never mind that Bear Bryant lost big games to, because that doesn't count, nor did his flirting with the Miami Dolphins, because he's Bear Bryant and Nick Saban isn't. It's all perfectly logical isn't?
You are starting to come off as a mother hen. Yes he hid insinuate a lack of senior leadership. We didn't lose too Auburn because of the kick. That game was lost because of poor play calling in the fourth quarter. I've said before, Coach Saban is the best at what he does. That does not mean he is above ANY criticism. The fact is he hurt himself with the Texas talk and yes he was interested.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

Urban Meyer has won 3 outright national championships. Nick Saban has won 4..

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
You are starting to come off as a mother hen. Yes he hid insinuate a lack of senior leadership. We didn't lose too Auburn because of the kick. That game was lost because of poor play calling in the fourth quarter. I've said before, Coach Saban is the best at what he does. That does not mean he is above ANY criticism. The fact is he hurt himself with the Texas talk and yes he was interested.
Each coach needs a "no" guy on the sideline. The 2013 auburn game we obviously didn't. It was obvious from the get go auburn was keying on yeldon and we had trouble kicking. We should've passed it more, but for whatever reason nuss and CNS thought yeldon would be able to do what Eddie Did on Georgia and take over the game, but he couldn't. But on the other hand auburn had no answer for coop and AJ. We would've won that game soundly if we abandoned the run.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

The game should not have come down to a 57 yard field goal. Bama should have won that game, but the play-calling was more than questionable.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.