NC Protests against SCV Plate and County Confederate monuments.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Protesters target Confederate monuments, flag
North Carolina is completely within her rights to retain or get rid of the SCV plate. But getting rid of it, while retaining an a Ruritan or Rotary Club plate, sure looks like viewpoint discrimination to me, especially in light of the SCV explicit and repeated condemnation of racial superiority. It is not what one said that matters, it is what an opponent misinterprets what one said that matters. Heck, I'm offended by the existence of an Auburn plate in North Carolina.
From the article: "Triangle historian Tim Tyson said he 'was weary of a history' that only tells one side of the Civil War story." Okay, I would think, tell some other side of the story, like erect monuments to the USCT from North Carolina that fought. I'd bet lots of North carolinians would support that. But, Mr. Tyson and the embarassed North Carolinians in the article would prefer to remove the side of story he does not like and substitute his one side of the story.

For the record, here is the proximate cause of North Carolina's withdrawal from the Union: Tarheels would not be party to deliberately and palpably violating the Constitution, and for that we now must wipe out their memory.
April 15, Secretary of War Simon Cameron, acting of President Lincoln's order, demands North Carolina provide two regiments of soldier to invade the southern states and overthrow their elected governments.
Governor John Ellis said:
RALEIGH, April 15, 1861.
HON. SIMON CAMERON, Secretary of War:
Your dispatch is received, and, if genuine, which its extraordinary character leads me to doubt, I have to say in reply that I regard the levy of troops made by the Administration for the purpose of subjugating the States of the South, as in violation of the Constitution and a usurpation of power. I can be no party to this wicked violation of the laws of the country, and to this war upon the liberties of a free people. You can get no troops from North Carolina. I will reply more in detail when your call is received by mail.
JOHN W. ELLIS, Governor of North Carolina.
"Whose side are you on," indeed?

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
The recent SCOTUS decision regarding the license tags in Texas gives the states great latitude about what to accept or reject on a state issued tag..

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
I've never owned a rebel flag other than the one we used to run around the woods with playing rebels and yankees as kids, but I'm about to go buy rebel flags, t-shirts, license plates, etc as a matter of principle. This nonsense is just getting ridiculous.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
The recent SCOTUS decision regarding the license tags in Texas gives the states great latitude about what to accept or reject on a state issued tag..
Yeah, I agree. It still smacks of viewpoint discrimination, even if the US Constitution's 1st Amendment is not incorporated in this instance (which, I guess shows how selective and thus spurious incorporation is as a constitutional doctrine, but I digress). Not every bad idea is unconstitutional.
The point is that these protesters want a "one-sided argument" suppressed and replaced with the other side of the same argument. Want to put up a monument to the USCT from North Carolina who fought in that war? Fine and dandy. I'd bet lots of North Carolinians would support that. Instead, these yayhoos want to want to rewrite history and suppress the argument of the other side.
Gov. Ellis was pretty clear on this point. The protesters are saying, in effect, "We demand that you recognize that the Federal government has the power to overthrow elected state governments and replace them with appointed military ones and anyone who disagrees is a traitor!"
Coming on the heals of Wes Clark's recent revelations about imprisoning Americans without trial for failing to support Federal policy, that is a fairly scary proposition.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
I started a thread on that case over at AUFamily. I don't particularly approve of the Confederate flag and would never fly one myself, but I believe the court got that one wrong.

My thoughts are, rather than being state speech, as the SCOTUS ruled, it is free speech facilitated by the government. Compare it to protests on public property.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I started a thread on that case over at AUFamily. I don't particularly approve of the Confederate flag and would never fly one myself, but I believe the court got that one wrong.
My thoughts are, rather than being state speech, as the SCOTUS ruled, it is free speech facilitated by the government. Compare it to protests on public property.
I guess, the out for the opponents of the plate is that the plate is actually state property. I am just required to purchase one and display it on my property (car).

The idea of getting rid of existing monuments is creepily Orwellian.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
I guess, the out for the opponents of the plate is that the plate is actually state property. I am just required to purchase one and display it on my property (car).

The idea of getting rid of existing monuments is creepily Orwellian.
Yeah. My thoughts are that if you're going to open state property for private speech, and that's exactly what these plates do, should the state be allowed to decide what speech is permissible?

IMO, the only correct answers were to allow everything or get the states out of the license plate business altogether.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Yeah. My thoughts are that if you're going to open state property for private speech, and that's exactly what these plates do, should the state be allowed to decide what speech is permissible?
Yeah, I don;t reckon this one is the world greatest example of logical consistency. I st think the SCOTUS really didn't like this particular speech and voted accordingly.
IMO, the only correct answers were to allow everything or get the states out of the license plate business altogether.
Yeah, true, but I think that there is a ton of state revenue at stake. The governors of most states with an SCV plate were privately quite relieved when the SCOTUS got them off this hook.
"Great, so we can tell these guys to go jump in a lake, without having to tell the Rotary Club the same thing? Thanks!"

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.