Four graves found in Jamestown colony.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Archeologists found the graves of four men at Jamestown, buried no later than 1610.
  • Rev. Robert Hunt
  • Capt. William West
  • Sir Ferdinando Wainman
  • Capt. Gabriel Archer

Interesting article. My earliest ancestor (Christopher Reynolds) to come to American got there 13 years later.

tidegrandpa

All-American
Archeologists found the graves of four men at Jamestown, buried no later than 1610.
  • Rev. Robert Hunt
  • Capt. William West
  • Sir Ferdinando Wainman
  • Capt. Gabriel Archer

Interesting article. My earliest ancestor (Christopher Reynolds) to come to American got there 13 years later.
Damn brave people that died young from a harsh death, God bless 'em. Good find TW.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Damn brave people that died young from a harsh death, God bless 'em. Good find TW.
Live expectancy was pretty low. If one survived "the seasoning" the odd went up. Christopher Reynolds, my ancestor came as an indentured servant, worked off his indenture, bought some land, grew some tobacco, made some money, wore the soil out, moved west, and his descendants eventually founded the R. J. Reynolds tobacco empire.
I don't have any of the RJR tobacco money, but I feel I am owed a ton of money for the indentured service.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
They should have respected the dead and left the graves as they were.
This is the reason I think I'll be cremated, i.e. so that archaeologist, et al won't be playing with my bones in the future. Or they won't be relocated because of the massive population growth and the need to have housing where cemeteries are currently located.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
This is the reason I think I'll be cremated, i.e. so that archaeologist, et al won't be playing with my bones in the future. Or they won't be relocated because of the massive population growth and the need to have housing where cemeteries are currently located.
I can't make a distinction between a week old grave and a thousand year old grave. They deserve equal respect.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Awesome find!

If someone wants to dig me up in 400 years, they have my permission.

It's interesting (to a dentist) to not the amount of wear on the teeth, amount of bone loss from gum disease (minimal), and the position of the lower left wisdom tooth. I also wonder when the fracture occurred and what was the cause.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I'm going to be cremated because I don't want them digging me up and thinking they found a gladiator instead of a lawyer... ;)

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
but I feel I am owed a ton of money for the indentured service.
Feel free to dig up some confederate general, scribble on a Confederate monument, or burn a confederate flag. It seems to make others feel better. :wink:

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I want to go to the Body Farm so I can lay in a field and rot. For some reason my wife finds this odd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.