Cecil the lion

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
It would be a major improvement for Zimbabwe if anything were done at all without bribes.
Truth. We have plenty of corruption in the U.S., but I have thought for a long time that the reason we are as successful as we are is the relative lack of it. Countries like Zimbabwe for all practical purposes run off of it.

It appears that they are at best trying to preserve the hunting industry. If they do prosecute, hunters leery of the possibility look elsewhere. There are plenty of other places in Africa to hunt lion.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
Impotent, flavor of the month outrage from people who never heard of Cecil the lion before this, and couldn't find Zimbabwe on a map.
I'd never hear of any of the victims of the Umpqua Community College shooting before and had no idea where Roseburg, OR was either. Does that mean I'm not allowed to be outraged by the murders? Prior knowledge of the victims and being an expert in geography aren't prerequisites for outrage. If it was, none of us should be all that concerned about a soldier who was killed in some remote village in Afghanistan. Or, a cop who was murdered in Podunk, Kansas.

hollisx4

1st Team
Aug 29, 2005
Columbiana, AL.
I'd never hear of any of the victims of the Umpqua Community College shooting before and had no idea where Roseburg, OR was either. Does that mean I'm not allowed to be outraged by the murders? Prior knowledge of the victims and being an expert in geography aren't prerequisites for outrage. If it was, none of us should be all that concerned about a soldier who was killed in some remote village in Afghanistan. Or, a cop who was murdered in Podunk, Kansas.
Not even close to the same thing, but chive on bro.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007
I do believe people are feeling a real sense of outrage and disappointment over the Cecil the lion issue. My point of view is that if it was illegal he should be fined or punished in whatever way that law dictates. The problem for a simple southern boy like myself is that to me animals are more like a crop. Apparently they are there as well, hence the commercialization of hunting. My grandfather would have been quick to tell me not to be naming an animal around our place because it would make them harder to harvest when the time came. I am sorry for those people that are angered or outraged by that but it is in the natural order of things. I don't espouse the extinction of a species but that is a management issue not a moral one to me.

Last edited:

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
Maybe not but all the examples he used were exactly that.
My examples are things all, or almost all, of us on TF have expressed outraged about. I was commenting on cbi's implication that personal knowledge of the victim and where it occurred were necessary for the outrage to be real. But, OK. If I hear about a dog being abused and killed in Podunk, KS, is it OK for me to be outraged about it? We've pretty much all expressed outrage about occurrences like that, too. But, if we don't know the animal or the town, why should we care? Right?

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
I do believe people are feeling a real sense of outrage and disappointment over the Cecil the lion issue. My point of view is that if it was illegal he should be fined or punished in whatever way that law dictates. The problem for a simple southern boy like myself is that to me animals are more like a crop. Apparently they are there as well, hence the commercialization of hunting. My grandfather would have been quick to tell me not to be naming an animal around our place because it would make them harder to harvest when the time came. I am sorry for those people that are angered or outraged by that but it is in the natural order of things. I don't espouse the extinction of a species but that is a management issue not a moral one to me.
I'm guessing than that you have never had a pet such as a dog or cat. If you did, was Rover tasty or is his head mounted on your wall?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.