Cecil the lion

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
There is not enough time (or interest) to get upset about human murders, that are way too common. Just in Baltimore alone, 42 were murdered in each of the last two months. Murderers usually dont brag about it, pose smiling with their dead victims, or mount the victims severed heads on their wall either.
Well, not counting ISIS and those "people" who steal and kill all those little girls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
There is not enough time (or interest) to get upset about human murders, that are way too common. Just in Baltimore alone, 42 were murdered in each of the last two months. Murderers usually dont brag about it, pose smiling with their dead victims, or mount the victims severed heads on their wall either.
This is unbelievably sad. "People in my hometown are getting shot and killed so much, I just can't worry about them. But if anybody shoots a lion in Zimbabwe, doggoneit, I'm going to terrorize the hunter's place of business (or fill-in-the-blank with the responses to the kill). I simply don't have ten seconds to retweet and type a reaction like I did for Cecil and his killer."

I wish people as a whole would focus much more of their efforts on people and things within their sphere of influence. Not solely. But, when most of the USA is more worried about poaching in Zimbabwe than they are about innocent murders, fatherless/parentless children, and sex slavery going on literally a few miles from home, then maybe that's a reason we have more innocent murders, fatherless/parentless children, and sex slavery going on than we should.

This is just a point of contention for me because I spend a good part of my life - both my career and my free time - investing in children and homeless people around here and it makes me irate to see how callous people are toward them and how much compassion people have toward stuff like this. It's not wrong at all to be upset by this story. I just hate the deafening silence about stuff going on in our own communities in light of the fact that this lion and loser who shot him is the biggest news story of the week.

I'm out of this thread.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
This is unbelievably sad. "People in my hometown are getting shot and killed so much, I just can't worry about them. But if anybody shoots a lion in Zimbabwe, doggoneit, I'm going to terrorize the hunter's place of business (or fill-in-the-blank with the responses to the kill). I simply don't have ten seconds to retweet and type a reaction like I did for Cecil and his killer."

I wish people as a whole would focus much more of their efforts on people and things within their sphere of influence. Not solely. But, when most of the USA is more worried about poaching in Zimbabwe than they are about innocent murders, fatherless/parentless children, and sex slavery going on literally a few miles from home, then maybe that's a reason we have more innocent murders, fatherless/parentless children, and sex slavery going on than we should.

This is just a point of contention for me because I spend a good part of my life - both my career and my free time - investing in children and homeless people around here and it makes me irate to see how callous people are toward them and how much compassion people have toward stuff like this. It's not wrong at all to be upset by this story. I just hate the deafening silence about stuff going on in our own communities in light of the fact that this lion and loser who shot him is the biggest news story of the week.

I'm out of this thread.
Hey Great Danish.....just a thought.

The above bolded part is what I was referring to earlier when I suggested starting a thread about whatever atrocity upsets you at the moment.

In no way was I critiquing the Cecil thread or anyone's posts.....meandering is not only perfectly fine but makes for an interesting discussion.

So......if you have your own "Cecil" story but this time it's about (a) human being(s)......by all means start a thread and let everyone have an opportunity to express their outrage equally.

But don't expect the media to do the same - they're in it for the $$$$$.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
Bazza- I don't start threads on either one. I rarely start threads at all. I would rather focus on preventing them from occurring in the first place but I do try to be aware of them. My problem is for those that retweet and blog and express grave concern about this and are apathetic toward injustices in their own communities.
But I'm not starting threads on either one.

Now I am done.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

OreBama

All-American
Sep 26, 2005
Portland, OR
For me, it's sad this lion had to go out like this, but there are worst things that happen every day to people. Heck, even the elephant story posted in this thread was sadder to me.

I generally don't feel that bad for carnivores. They're killers, right? To be clear, I don't hate them, but I can't feel too sorry for them.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Actually, I was talking about his dental practice, but yeah, the practice of shooting defenseless animals for sport too.
Lions are defenseless???? You do realize a Lion can kill you rather easily. I think this guy is an idiot but he was risking more than his freedom by hunting a lion.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Lions are defenseless???? You do realize a Lion can kill you rather easily. I think this guy is an idiot but he was risking more than his freedom by hunting a lion.
No.

He was NOT hunting.

He "baited" the lion.

And used a spotlight on him.

Nothing sporting about that. Real hunters would spit on this turkey.

This dentist is not a man. He's a slug. Evident even today as he cowers in the shadows afraid to own up in public to what he did.

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL
But what if the light had fallen on him? He probably would have gotten a slight burn. Those really hurt. So in that way, he was in danger. By killing the lion, he and the poachers could turn the light off sooner. This man is a hero.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
No.

He was NOT hunting.

He "baited" the lion.

Nothing sporting about that. Real hunters would spit on this turkey.

This dentist is not a man. He's a slug. Evident even today as he cowers in the shadows afraid to own up in public to what he did.
but remember, in the zero sum world of the internet, if you care at all about this, you cannot possibly care about any of the real problems going on in the world.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
Real hunters would spit on this turkey.
Not condoning this guy by any means but "baiting" is used in all types of hunting by "real hunters" and has been from the start. Calling is a type of baiting; using scent attractants, etc. all "bait" the game to come in for the kill. Baiting is often used in fishing also.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Not condoning this guy by any means but "baiting" is used in all types of hunting by "real hunters" and has been from the start. Calling is a type of baiting; using scent attractants, etc. all "bait" the game to come in for the kill. Baiting is often used in fishing also.

The term "real hunting" means different things to different people. I don't see anything sporting about "baiting" myself.

Timberline Tide

All-American
Jun 9, 2010
Colorado
...and internet trolling

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
In this case it looks like the bait was used to lure Cecil off the reserve so he could be killed.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
There is no such thing as putting all humans in the same category value-wise.

Certain humans are despicable. Such as this one.....

Man forced teen to have sex with him, deputies say

I just pulled this one up a few minutes ago but you can find similar stories every day about humans that are predators on children - that doesn't sit very well with me. And this child had diminished capacity so you know the kind of creep you are dealing with here.

I would say in general that as adults we have the responsibility to look out for the innocents. The young.....and the pure of heart.
You answered a question I didn't ask. It was a nice attempt at deflecting, but you'll have to do better. So I'll ask again:

Generally speaking (I'm not talking about extremes) do you think that the life of an animal is equal to, less than, or greater than that of a human?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.