Cecil the lion

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Why are there not fences around big game preserves to keep people from luring the animals to where they can be shot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Why are there not fences around big game preserves to keep people from luring the animals to where they can be shot?

the park in question is 5,657 square miles, for comparison Tuscaloosa County is 1,351 sq miles. Imagine a fence that wraps around tuscaloosa, jefferson and 3 more counties in the area and you'll see why there is no fence

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
They now have the cover to do it.
Nah just look at the way Beer companies responded the the gay marriage ruling recently. Most have been against it from the very beginning, staunchly. But the day it passed? The major brands reversed course & tweeted out stuff like this:

Companies care about making money. They flip flop with whichever crowd is the most vocal because they care about their bottom line first and foremost. Notice none of them made their "positions" known until the ruling came down? They didn't want to be on the losing side whatever side that might be.

Private businesses can do whatever they want, I just wish the public wasn't so quick to gobble everything up as being "noble."

Last edited:

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
Nah just look at the way Beer companies responded the the gay marriage ruling recently. Most have been against it from the very beginning, staunchly...
How do you know beer companies were staunchly against gay marriage? I've never see anything that indicated any of them had a position on it one way or another.

Companies care about making money. They flip flop with whichever crowd is the most vocal because they care about their bottom line first and foremost.
Why do you hate capitalism? :wink:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I just read that Zimbabwe had suspended all lion hunting around the boundary of the game preserve, the largest in the country...

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
the park in question is 5,657 square miles, for comparison Tuscaloosa County is 1,351 sq miles. Imagine a fence that wraps around tuscaloosa, jefferson and 3 more counties in the area and you'll see why there is no fence
Thanks. I had no idea how big it was.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
This is bad for the economy of countries permitting big game hunting. If someone is willing to pay big money and the country enforces proper game management practices working towards improvement of the numbers and health of wild animal populations, I don't see a need to restrict shipping legal items based on emotions. I'm assuming these game management programs are in place...

The blog had some compelling arguments but I'm guessing it might be biased.
I agree completely. It doesn't matter whether Delta's motivation is altruistic or not this could hurt more than it helps.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
They were in place for the dentist too. If Cecil hadn't been wearing a tracking collar this would have never been discovered. If you have enough money and a lack of scruples you can kill any animal you want. The dentist knew exactly what he was doing but didn't care.
I also mentioned "legal" so maybe there is some additional official paperwork needed.

Also hurts taxidermists...

Now that I've thought on it some more; some of these big game hunters are probably more concerned about getting a good photo shot of them with their kill and maybe don't care so much about keeping a hide or mount.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
How do you know beer companies were staunchly against gay marriage? I've never see anything that indicated any of them had a position on it one way or another.
I remembered a lot of people kinda got irritated with MillerCoors after the ruling because their reaction seemed insincere. So I googled "Coors anti-gay" and "Miller anti-gay". There's a lot of info out there.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
I remembered a lot of people kinda got irritated with MillerCoors after the ruling because their reaction seemed insincere. So I googled "Coors anti-gay" and "Miller anti-gay". There's a lot of info out there.
hasn't always been that way

[video]https://screen.yahoo.com/schmitts-gay-000000579.html[/video]

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
They were in place for the dentist too. If Cecil hadn't been wearing a tracking collar this would have never been discovered. If you have enough money and a lack of scruples you can kill any animal you want. The dentist knew exactly what he was doing but didn't care.
That would certainly square with his history. He knew exactly what he was doing when he transported that bear 40 miles in his truck and then claimed to killed it legally. Hell, he's a convicted felon. Under federal law, he can't even own a gun, so he turned to crossbows...

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
If true, that's awesome. That's the kind of stuff that's going to make a positive difference.
Possibly. I just think it effectively changed the boundary, and the point where the animal would be lured to.

The sheer size of the preserve can actually have a negative effect on the ability of a limited number or wardens to effectively deter poachers. Sometime smaller can actually be better.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
For those who were irritated about the level of coverage vs. human killings, it appears you have some agreement from the BlackLivesMatter crowd:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/aug/4/empire-state-buildings-1m-cecil-the-lion-display-o/

From your article, Mittman:

Many social media users said the projection gave unfair attention to animals while ignoring the deaths of black people at the hands of police, The Huffington Post reported.
Unfair attention? :smilielol5:

I'm sure those misguided fools are in the minority (no pun intended).

Talk about hypocrites.....:rolleyes:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.