Cecil the lion

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
It's not uncommon for a younger brother to act as co-leader of a pride. In the cases, as here, when the alpha dies, the brother will take over and, unlike an interloper will not kill the cubs, since he and his older brother share the same gene pool, I guess. Now all bets are off. All the cubs will be killed and this pride will lose a generation, no small thing, given the shrinking population...
Another point that was mentioned today in a segment I was watching with a wildlife expert being interviewed is every time a big game animal is killed....they are usually taking the biggest and best specimens......so as they are removed from future prodigy production the gene pool becomes weaker and weaker.....resulting in less healthy and smaller in size animals.

It's a real shame. Poor animals don't stand a chance. :(

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
It's not uncommon for a younger brother to act as co-leader of a pride. In the cases, as here, when the alpha dies, the brother will take over and, unlike an interloper will not kill the cubs, since he and his older brother share the same gene pool, I guess. Now all bets are off. All the cubs will be killed and this pride will lose a generation, no small thing, given the shrinking population...
There is a group in Bulawayo that will try to rescue the cubs and set up another pride. If there is a link I will try to find it. I have visited the "orphanage".

Edit: Here is the link:

http://www.chipangali.com/about.php

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
There is a group in Bulawayo that will try to rescue the cubs and set up another pride. If there is a link I will try to find it. I have visited the "orphanage".

Edit: Here is the link:

http://www.chipangali.com/about.php
Very interesting. I just don't see how they manage the release into the wild. Even solitary felines like leopards and cheetahs learn by watching their mothers, although some hunting instinct is inborn. With social structure animals like lions, it would seem to be impossible. Prides, just like colonies of feral domestic cats here, tend to be made up of groups of sisters and their offspring. That's one reason male lions taking over a pride kill the cubs, to make sure all of their females give birth only to their offspring. They have a contact tab. I think I'll email them for details...

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
Very interesting. I just don't see how they manage the release into the wild. Even solitary felines like leopards and cheetahs learn by watching their mothers, although some hunting instinct is inborn. With social structure animals like lions, it would seem to be impossible. Prides, just like colonies of feral domestic cats here, tend to be made up of groups of sisters and their offspring. That's one reason male lions taking over a pride kill the cubs, to make sure all of their females give birth only to their offspring. They have a contact tab. I think I'll email them for details...
Far beyond my knowledge level. I just knew they existed, and that this is right in their wheel house. They are a good drive south of Hwange, but work with that and multiple other refuges. As I previously posted, they do work with lions and they had a bunch of cubs there working together. They said the pride was wiped out by poachers and were raising the cubs as a pride. This was around 10 years ago. I have no clue how they manage it, or how successful they are. Very interesting place.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al

Delta Airlines tells big game hunters: We're not shipping your 'trophies' anymore

http://www.globalpost.com/article/6...-game-hunters-were-not-shipping-your-trophies

Effective immediately, Delta will officially ban shipment of all lion, leopard, elephant, rhinoceros and buffalo trophies worldwide as freight,” Delta's statement read. “Prior to this ban, Delta’s strict acceptance policy called for absolute compliance with all government regulations regarding protected species. Delta will also review acceptance policies of other hunting trophies with appropriate government agencies and other organizations supporting legal shipments.”

Good for Delta.

Info from the Humane Society. At the bottom there is a link to a petition asking all airline to not ship the "big five" animal trophies.

http://blog.humanesociety.org/wayne/2015/08/time-for-major-airlines-to-stop-shipping-africa-big-five-trophies.html?credit=web_hpfs1-cecil-072915_id93480558_blog_post_072915_id7426

Last edited:

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
Will they ship confederate flags? That's not PC either. How is this different from the whole gay wedding cake thing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida

Delta Airlines tells big game hunters: We're not shipping your 'trophies' anymore

http://www.globalpost.com/article/6...-game-hunters-were-not-shipping-your-trophies

Effective immediately, Delta will officially ban shipment of all lion, leopard, elephant, rhinoceros and buffalo trophies worldwide as freight,” Delta's statement read. “Prior to this ban, Delta’s strict acceptance policy called for absolute compliance with all government regulations regarding protected species. Delta will also review acceptance policies of other hunting trophies with appropriate government agencies and other organizations supporting legal shipments.”

Good for Delta.

Info from the Humane Society. At the bottom there is a link to a petition asking all airline to not ship the "big five" animal trophies.

http://blog.humanesociety.org/wayne/2015/08/time-for-major-airlines-to-stop-shipping-africa-big-five-trophies.html?credit=web_hpfs1-cecil-072915_id93480558_blog_post_072915_id7426

Thanks for your post, Seebell.

ALRIGHT! At least Delta is doing something. Now I don't feel so bad about the extra $70.00 they charged for my surfboard when I flew out to CA last time. They would have got me on the return flight too except my board was stolen in Tahiti so I came home boardless.... :(

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)

Good for Delta.

This is bad for the economy of countries permitting big game hunting. If someone is willing to pay big money and the country enforces proper game management practices working towards improvement of the numbers and health of wild animal populations, I don't see a need to restrict shipping legal items based on emotions. I'm assuming these game management programs are in place...

The blog had some compelling arguments but I'm guessing it might be biased.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
This is bad for the economy of countries permitting big game hunting. If someone is willing to pay big money and the country enforces proper game management practices working towards improvement of the numbers and health of wild animal populations, I don't see a need to restrict shipping legal items based on emotions. I'm assuming these game management programs are in place...

The blog had some compelling arguments but I'm guessing it might be biased.
They were in place for the dentist too. If Cecil hadn't been wearing a tracking collar this would have never been discovered. If you have enough money and a lack of scruples you can kill any animal you want. The dentist knew exactly what he was doing but didn't care.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
Thanks for your post, Seebell.

ALRIGHT! At least Delta is doing something. Now I don't feel so bad about the extra $70.00 they charged for my surfboard when I flew out to CA last time. They would have got me on the return flight too except my board was stolen in Tahiti so I came home boardless.... :(
Hippie.

They would have got me on the return flight too except my board was stolen in Tahiti so I came home boardless.... :(

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL

Good for Delta.

I hope some of you are smart enough to realize Delta isn't doing this for any noble reason. If they cared one way or another, they would have said something before the latest social media outrage mob formed. This is what big companies do now, they take a stance against the issue of the week for good publicity.

I just can't believe so many fall for things like this "Oh Delta cares so much! They're the best!" blah blah blah.

Delta doesn't care about big game animals in Africa. They care about making money. The number of animal lovers far outweighs the number of big game hunters.

Edited to say that I have no problem with what Delta is doing on the surface. They are a private company and as such can do whatever they want. I hope this helps endangered species from going extinct. I just don't like how companies try to tug at peoples heartstrings in an attempt to loosen their purse strings.

Last edited:

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
I hope some of you are smart enough to realize Delta isn't doing this for any noble reason. If they cared one way or another, they would have said something before the latest social media outrage mob formed. This is what big companies do now, they take a stance against the issue of the week for good publicity.

I just can't believe so many fall for things like this "Oh Delta cares so much! They're the best!" blah blah blah.

Delta doesn't care about big game animals in Africa. They care about making money. The number of animal lovers far outweighs the number of big game hunters.
Probably care about both.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.