Cecil the lion

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
If my third world nation's economy depended in any way upon tourism, the last thing I would be doing is pushing for a high profile extradition.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
Before we walk this dentist up a gallows and toss a rope around his neck, let's back up just a bit.
From what I hear, the dentist paid $50K to a guide to take him where he could hunt a lion. It exactly wasn't the dentist's fault that the guide slacked off on is job and took him next to a game preserve, baited a lion out of the preserve and onto a farm so the guy could shoot it. I doubt the dentist knew exactly where he was and what was the status of the lion he was about to shoot.
Maybe the guide should have taken him out into the real wilderness where he could hunt some wild lions. But that would have been too much like work, and maybe just a little bit on the dangerous side, huh? But what did he expect for 50 Grand? If anyone is at fault, maybe the guide should share in some of the responsibility.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Before we walk this dentist up a gallows and toss a rope around his neck, let's back up just a bit.
From what I hear, the dentist paid $50K to a guide to take him where he could hunt a lion. It exactly wasn't the dentist's fault that the guide slacked off on is job and took him next to a game preserve, baited a lion out of the preserve and onto a farm so the guy could shoot it. I doubt the dentist knew exactly where he was and what was the status of the lion he was about to shoot.
Maybe the guide should have taken him out into the real wilderness where he could hunt some wild lions. But that would have been too much like work, and maybe just a little bit on the dangerous side, huh? But what did he expect for 50 Grand? If anyone is at fault, maybe the guide should share in some of the responsibility.
He knew what he was doing. He has a similar history

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
The guide has been charged, is facing ten years in prison and has lost his license for life. You need more "responsibility?"

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
The guide has been charged, is facing ten years in prison and has lost his license for life. You need more "responsibility?"
Good. I don't know whether the dentist knew exactly where he was in relation to the preserve or other 'allowed' hunting areas. I think that should be ascertained before he is charged with illegal hunting. If so, then let the chips fall where they may. Certainly though the guide should have, and should have performed his own job more adequately.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Good. I don't know whether the dentist knew exactly where he was in relation to the preserve or other 'allowed' hunting areas. I think that should be ascertained before he is charged with illegal hunting. If so, then let the chips fall where they may. Certainly though the guide should have, and should have performed his own job more adequately.
Well, I didn't intend to get back into this thread, but I'll repeat what I said above. "Licensure" is not something where the responsibility can be passed off to someone else. You can't do it here and you can't do it in Zimbabwe. Here you would be laughed at, if you told a game warden "I told "Mr. A" to do it for me and he told me I had a license. It needs to be recalled that this guy has a felony poaching conviction here already. He killed a black bear illegally and carried it 40 miles to a permitted area. Then, he lied to the officers. He was lucky to get off with a one year suspended sentence and a $3K fine, a sweetheart deal. (Won't happen in Zimbabwe.) As an ethical hunter and gun lover, guys like this are my worst enemy. Before it starts, just because I love animals and animal life does not mean I don't care about humans. So just don't start with that straw man...

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/31/world/zimbabwe-cecil-lion-dentist/index.html

Zimbabwe has started extradition proceedings and hopes the United States will cooperate, said Oppah Muchinguri, the African nation's environment minister.
Yeah, I'm sure information like the following will not matter to the Obama administration:

https://www.hrw.org/world-report/2015/country-chapters/zimbabwe

The government of President Robert Mugabe continued to violate human rights in 2014 without regard to protections in the country’s new constitution. An expected legislative framework and new or amended laws to improve human rights in line with the constitution never materialized.

snake plissken

1st Team
Apr 13, 2011
Birmingham
You disagree with my point that people shouldn't be trying to ruin this man's life over this?

Wow. OK.
I do and I think he should be skinned alive! Low life, scum sucking, pos deserves everything coming to him. Anyone who does this has no soul or conscience and should not be aloud to walk among us. Not only did he kill the innocent animal, he let him bleed and suffer for two days before killing him which becomes straight up torture. Then cuts of his head, skins him and leaves the body while trying to destroy the tracking collar. As an animal lover, this has enraged me to no end!

Also, this is no different than walking into a zoo, stealing an animal, then killing it. Pretty sure that would be a harsh sentence in the states.

Last edited:

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Well, I didn't intend to get back into this thread, but I'll repeat what I said above. "Licensure" is not something where the responsibility can be passed off to someone else. You can't do it here and you can't do it in Zimbabwe. Here you would be laughed at, if you told a game warden "I told "Mr. A" to do it for me and he told me I had a license. It needs to be recalled that this guy has a felony poaching conviction here already. He killed a black bear illegally and carried it 40 miles to a permitted area. Then, he lied to the officers. He was lucky to get off with a one year suspended sentence and a $3K fine, a sweetheart deal. (Won't happen in Zimbabwe.) As an ethical hunter and gun lover, guys like this are my worst enemy. Before it starts, just because I love animals and animal life does not mean I don't care about humans. So just don't start with that straw man...

Love this post, Earle. Spot On.

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
Apparently Jericho, Cecil's older brother and resident king of the pride, was supposedly just murdered by another poacher earlier today. Now this story is being disupte, at this point, but if this turns out to be true, then Cecil's (Jericho had taken to raising the cubs himself after Cecil's murder) cubs are in jeopardy. And I hope they get that jerk, that supposedly killed Jericho.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Apparently Jericho, Cecil's older brother and resident king of the pride, was supposedly just murdered by another poacher earlier today. Now this story is being disupte, at this point, but if this turns out to be true, then Cecil's (Jericho had taken to raising the cubs himself after Cecil's murder) cubs are in jeopardy. And I hope they get that jerk, that supposedly killed Jericho.
It's not uncommon for a younger brother to act as co-leader of a pride. In the cases, as here, when the alpha dies, the brother will take over and, unlike an interloper will not kill the cubs, since he and his older brother share the same gene pool, I guess. Now all bets are off. All the cubs will be killed and this pride will lose a generation, no small thing, given the shrinking population...

OreBama

All-American
Sep 26, 2005
Portland, OR
It's not uncommon for a younger brother to act as co-leader of a pride. In the cases, as here, when the alpha dies, the brother will take over and, unlike an interloper will not kill the cubs, since he and his older brother share the same gene pool, I guess. Now all bets are off. All the cubs will be killed and this pride will lose a generation, no small thing, given the shrinking population...
I recommend watching "The Lion King" for even more detailed analysis of pride hierarchy.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.