Cecil the lion

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Sad story.....sickening how this magnificent and beloved creature's life needlessly came to an end. They baited the poor thing by hanging meat on a tree. Then they sat there waiting in the dark, put a spotlight on him, and shot him with the bow. That is NOT hunting. They let him lie there bleeding overnight before killing him with a rifle.

The 13-year-old animal was renowned for being friendly towards visitors.
Recognisable because of his large size and distinctive black mane.

Led two prides containing six lionesses and 12 cubs along with another lion, Jericho.

Was being monitored as part of an Oxford University study into lion conservation.

Cecil the lion was skinned and beheaded, according to the Zimbabwe Conservation Task Force (ZCTF), a local charity.

The ZCTF said the hunters had used bait to lure him outside Hwange National Park during a night-time pursuit.

The animal had a GPS collar fitted for a research project by UK-based Oxford University that allowed authorities to track its movements. The hunters tried to destroy it, but failed, according to the ZCTF.

On Monday, the head of the ZCTF told the BBC that Cecil "never bothered anybody" and was "one of the most beautiful animals to look at".
This is the cowardly POS responsible for killing Cecil....I hope he spends significant time in prison at the very least. :mad:

IM4UA

1st Team
Aug 10, 2003
Alabaster, AL, US
They baited the poor thing by hanging meat on a tree. Then they sat there waiting in the dark, put a spotlight on him, and shot him with the bow. They let him lie there bleeding overnight before killing him with a rifle.
Quite the sportsman. Hopefully this will at least bring awareness to these paid exotic "hunts". I grew up hunting and have no issues with ethical hunting of managed species. I will never understand why anyone would want to kill exotics though. This type of paid trophy hunting even goes on in the United States. The Jimmy Houston and Troy Gentry kills are two high profile examples.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
He was convicted back in 2008 of killing a black bear out of the permitted area in Wisconsin, and lying to authorities about it. He was sentenced to a year of probation plus a fine of over $3,000. (Obviously meaningless to him.) The Zimbabwean government doesn't agree with him that it was a legal hunt and attempting to destroy the GPS collar was a separate crime. This lion was so tame, his guides probably tickled the cat's ears while he shot him...

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Rich white American in a Zimbabwe prison. Sounds fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HSV256

1st Team
Sep 7, 2006
Huntsville, AlaBAMA
i think the hammer is going to come down on the shooter in that situation much quicker
I wouldn't go that far just yet. Lady justice finds a way to see through that blindfold when LEO's are on the dockets.

I'm speaking in terms of national outcry. I've noticed more humanity over animals than certain humans as of late.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I wouldn't go that far just yet. Lady justice finds a way to see through that blindfold when LEO's are on the dockets.

I'm speaking in terms of national outcry. I've noticed more humanity over animals than certain humans as of late.
i've just seen bits and pieces of what is going on with it, but it seems like they have this cop dead to rights with the videos

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
The dbag said to his knowledge that he thought the "hunt" was legal and yet he has a felony conviction on doing something similar on his rap sheet? What a lying sleezebag. He knew the hunt was not legal and he still went with it and now he is trying to put all the blame on his guide (though his guide does get his fair share of blame, but he should not be the scapegoat). Deplorable act by the POS. That is not hunting that is straight up murder and I hope he gets the book thrown at him.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
The dbag said to his knowledge that he thought the "hunt" was legal and yet he has a felony conviction on doing something similar on his rap sheet? What a lying sleezebag. He knew the hunt was not legal and he still went with it and now he is trying to put all the blame on his guide (though his guide does get his fair share of blame, but he should not be the scapegoat). Deplorable act by the POS. That is not hunting that is straight up murder and I hope he gets the book thrown at him.
im betting he grew up making up stories when he got caught with his hand in the cookie jar. d-bags like this are never at fault for their idiotic actions

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.