Elementary school students coached to compare Robert E. Lee to Hilter

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
Godwin's Law invoked in one move!

Such ignorance, and I'm sure they only realized they were offended after being coached by the community organizers. I wonder if there was some way for these kids to get an education. Perhaps at a government school. Oh wait ....

It is offensive for black children, they said, to attend a school named after the general who led the Confederate Army during the Civil War.

“This hurts our feelings,” one child said. “We are human beings.”

The children attend a summer program called “Kids, Not Criminals.”

“Nobody would accept Hitler’s name on a school, so we can’t accept this,” another student said.
http://tbo.com/news/education/stude...me-robert-e-lee-elementary-in-tampa-20150729/

Last edited:

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
In June 1865, immediately after the end of the war, a black man came to the chancel rail in Saint Paul's Episcopal Church, to take communion. Rev. Mennigerode, the vicar, and most of his parishioners were taken aback and nobody seemed to know what to do. Lee was there, and he rose, and went to the rail not far from the black man, and took communion with him. By this action, Lee signalled to the parishioners and white southerners generally, that things had changed and it was okay to accept the new situation.
I wonder, will these school children will be taught about this incident?

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
Hmmm....Hitler High Super Humans... Has a certain ring to it. [emoji35]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Yup, Hitler was a horrific mass murdered. Lee was a simple misguided traitor.
Treason shall consist of waging war against the United States.
Declaring a blockade is an act of war.
Lincoln held that the states of South Carolina through Texas were part of the United States, and yet declared a blockade against them (19 April 1861).
Lincoln waged war against the United States.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Treason shall consist of waging war against the United States.
Declaring a blockade is an act of war.
Lincoln held that the states of South Carolina through Texas were part of the United States, and yet declared a blockade against them (19 April 1861).
Lincoln waged war against the United States.
Pretzel logic reasoning

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
In June 1865, immediately after the end of the war, a black man came to the chancel rail in Saint Paul's Episcopal Church, to take communion. Rev. Mennigerode, the vicar, and most of his parishioners were taken aback and nobody seemed to know what to do. Lee was there, and he rose, and went to the rail not far from the black man, and took communion with him. By this action, Lee signaled to the parishioners and white southerners generally, that things had changed and it was okay to accept the new situation.
Wow.....very cool story!

Thanks Tidewater - once again I learn something new about the history of our country.

We as a country are out of control with political correctness....and I'm not sure if we'll ever recover, sadly.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
In a related story, every single "brave patriot" of the American revolution was likewise a traitor.

The only difference in a patriot and a traitor is that the patriot wins the war and writes the story.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Lee was loyal to Virginia, his home. He was a very honorable man who was torn but could not bring himself to fight against his people. Lincoln was an incompetent, egotistical traitor who divided the nation. He was the absolute worst president this country ever had. I hate he died the way he did. It should have been before a firing squad.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Lee was loyal to Virginia, his home. He was a very honorable man who was torn but could not bring himself to fight against his people. Lincoln was an incompetent, egotistical traitor who divided the nation. He was the absolute worst president this country ever had. I hate he died the way he did. It should have been before a firing squad.
Lee was not a supporter of secession, at least not in April of 1861 ...
R. E. Lee said:
I must say, that I am one of those dull creatures that cannot see the good of secession.
...but as you said, he went with his home.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Wow.....very cool story!

Thanks Tidewater - once again I learn something new about the history of our country.

We as a country are out of control with political correctness....and I'm not sure if we'll ever recover, sadly.
Confederate Veteran magazine, 1905, related by a fellow named "Colonel Broun," of Charleston, WV.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Pretzel logic reasoning
Yeah, that darn Constitution is a real pain in the butt, ain't it?
He opposed the Constitution. The President has no authority to impose a blockade, no authority to suspend the writ of habeas corpus, but he did it anyway, because the Constitution was in his way.
Lincoln was an opponent of self-government. The seceding states had decided as democratically as things were in those days, to leave the Union, and he would not stand for that.
By the letter of the law, he was a traitor. You may not like that, but that is the implication of his position vis-a-vis the seceding states. They were in the Union, so he declared war on them.

This is why I think he was such a peach.

But, on the other side of the ledger, he was willing to launch a war that caused the deaths of 620,000 Americans because his businessman party supporters would have lost a lot of money if he had simply followed the Constitution and the principles of self-government.

You really ought to do some more reading.
I would suggest Abel Upshur's work, A Brief Inquiry into the True Nature and Character of Our Federal Government, if you can set aside your closed-mindedness long enough to read something.

Since you are from Maryland, you might also try Baltimore and the Nineteenth of April 1861: A Study of the War
Both are free on line.
Talbert's Maryland: The South's First Casualty This one is not free.

Last edited:

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
In June 1865, immediately after the end of the war, a black man came to the chancel rail in Saint Paul's Episcopal Church, to take communion. Rev. Mennigerode, the vicar, and most of his parishioners were taken aback and nobody seemed to know what to do. Lee was there, and he rose, and went to the rail not far from the black man, and took communion with him. By this action, Lee signalled to the parishioners and white southerners generally, that things had changed and it was okay to accept the new situation.
Great story. Simple-minded non nuanced hyperbole is much easier than truth.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
I am no sycophantic defender of Lincoln, but IMO this is almost as egregious a statement as the one being discussed. I believe there is ample evidence that both Lee and Lincoln were honorable men at their core.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
R. E. Lee said:
"I have fought against the people of the North because I believed they were seeking to rest from the South dearest rights, and have never seen the day when I did not pray for them. "
Personal Reminiscences of General Robert E. Lee page 175.
What a racist hater.

Lee speaking to General Wade Hampton 1868 said:
I did only what my duty demanded; I could have taken no other course without dishonor. And if all were to be done over again, I should act in precisely the same manner.
Reminiscences, page 130.

Lee letter to Mr. Chauncey Bure said:
All the South has ever desired was that the Union as established by our forefathers should be preserved; and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth.
Reminiscences page 189.

R. E. Lee said:
My conduct during the last five eventful years has been governed by my sense of duty. I had no other guide, nor have I any other object than the defense of those principles of American liberty upon which the constitutions of the several states were originally founded; and, unless they are strictly observed, I fear there will be an end to republican government in this country.
Personal Reminiscences, pg. 197.

I don't know, maybe this man has something to teach young people today.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.