Windows 10

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Pssh. I used punch cards and paper tape uphill both ways and liked it.
When I started at UA, I went to work for the University Auditor, since I already had accounting experience. My first task every month was reconciling the 17 UA bank accounts. (They wouldn't let me touch the AD accounts.) That took the first two weeks of the month. They would bring in the trays and stack them up around my walls to the ceiling. In those trays, there would be five or six checks with the little square holes in the wrong place. It was a maddening job. On top of everything else, the Auditor, Compton, was a retired Marine sergeant. The Controller, whom we were supposed to be auditing, was a retired Navy captain. That didn't work, when Compton felt obliged to say "Yes Sir" and "No Sir." I finally quit, but I wrote up a five page report on what was wrong with the department. I was told later by my former co-employees that it became the "bible" for reforming the organization.

I decided I wanted away from accounting. I had two older brothers who were CPAs and had started working in it when I was around 14. I went out to Northington Laundry and applied for a job as a counter man. I was interviewed by Mrs. Barrett, Col. Barrett's wife. She listened to me and then told me that counter men were a dime a dozen, but that they needed an in-house accountant and she understood that I was a trained accountant. I still don't know how she found that out. I hadn't put the Auditor down as a reference because, TBF, after my parting diatribe, I didn't know how I stood with them. So, I went to work, not at the laundry, but downtown at their CPA's office, dealing with more punch card checks. They found out I had auditing experience, so I became their "extra" when they needed additional personnel.

Might as well finish the story of my education. I managed not to work my first year in law school. (Back then, most who tried that flunked out.) In my second year, I applied for a part-time position with ADOR as an income tax auditor. I found out later that the job was essentially a political plum for a favorite son of a politician. However, I had scored the highest score on the Merit Service test which had ever be scored, so they couldn't not hire me. So, they hired us both. After finishing law school, I thought it would be a shame to waste my accounting experience, so I went on to NYU for the legal masters in taxation. Years later, I was talking to a CPA and he exclaimed "Earle, talking to you is just like talking to another accountant." He then went on and said some unkind things about tax lawyers in general and a couple in particular. I knew what he was talking about. There are tax lawyers who couldn't read a balance sheet or a profit and loss statement to save their lives. This makes it very frustrating for the accountants. So, closing, yes I was getting my feet wet in the business world when Mag Card typewriters were the greatest thing since sliced bread...

Edit: Sorry for the length... ;)

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I just discovered something sinister about Win 10. The privacy settings, by default, are set so that MS can dig down even into your email and target you with advertising. As an attorney, I can't have that. I think you can change the settings retroactively, but I think you can choose "custom" on installation and change them to "off" then. Here's a Newsweek article on it...

LINK

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
I just discovered something sinister about Win 10. The privacy settings, by default, are set so that MS can dig down even into your email and target you with advertising. As an attorney, I can't have that. I think you can change the settings retroactively, but I think you can choose "custom" on installation and change them to "off" then. Here's a Newsweek article on it...

LINK
Yup, it is getting more pervasive, and you can turn it off at least for now. Practically every device is becoming two things:

1. A Data Miner
2. A Store Front

Not surprised that you played with punch cards :)

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

LINK
The more I consider it, the more I come to the conclusion I'll wait a while before upgrading.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California

LINK
MS asks during installation

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009

LINK
Not the stupidest thing I have seen on Windows 10. I think Wi-Fi Sense (also in Windows Phone 8.1) takes the cake. It "lets" users to share network access with your contacts on Facebook, Skype, Outlook, etc. The "feature" shares your Wi-Fi key with everyone you are connected to. To disable this setting, go to Wi-Fi > Network Settings > Manage Wi-Fi Settings.

I THINK this is something the mobile service providers have been pushing for. They are desperate to keep people from using the mobile data and getting phones and devices on Wi-Fi whenever they can.

No. It also asks about sharing your wifi network with your contacts (another potential security hole).
Edit: I see you beat me to it. :)

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
No. It also asks about sharing your wifi network with your contacts (another potential security hole).
Yes, it's even your Facebook friends of all things. I'm fortunate in that I live in the middle of 3 acres of woods. I had to add a booster to the furtherest computer in the house to connect with the router, and it's an expensive dual band Netgear Nighthawk. That distance is about 150' from one to the other. The street and maibox are well over 300' from the house, so they'd have to park in my driveway, in which case my driveway alert would chime and let me know they're there. Nevertheless, I intend to disable it...

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Another potential issue is Windows update, of all things. You can also change/choose this, but MS asks if you want to download updates from other users and also if you will share your updates with others. I turned these "features" off. I only want updates directly from MS and do not want to share with others.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
There's a program called "Sandboxie," downloadable from the site of the same name. It allows you run your browser, or even a video clip "sandboxed," so that nothing you're viewing can interact with your OS. There are some features with some sites which will not work with a sandboxed browser...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Another potential issue is Windows update, of all things. You can also change/choose this, but MS asks if you want to download updates from other users and also if you will share your updates with others. I turned these "features" off. I only want updates directly from MS and do not want to share with others.
Yes, I've seen that also and it just doesn't make sense to me...

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
A lot of people are reporting problems with the underlying networking like in previous releases. In a lot of cases I.E. 11 and other browsers work just fine but Edge and the store (since it by default uses Edge) will act as if DNS is not working.

Like others have said, it is probably best to wait a couple of months, but I think most people will like this a lot more than they think.

BamaSC

All-SEC
Oct 17, 1999
Chapin, SC
During the update, I chose custom install and pretty much said no to everything. So far, from what I can tell is MS brought back the "start" button and jammed the entire Metro UI into that space. They also relocated search to the launch bar. So to me, it's more Win7 than Win8 (which is good), but still not as good as Win7 relative to usability. It is still miles behind OSX to me and OSX hasn't even bothered to change much in the last 10 years.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.