Windows 10

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
I just downloaded Windows 10 last night (just released today) and finished install when I awoke this morning. Seems to be running fine. Edge seems better than explorer, but still mostly using Chrome. So far can't get Civ V to work, but the message is about then Steam server being too busy. Other than that everything so far working, though I have been busy with other things today.

Anyone else upgraded or bought one with it already installed? Experiences?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I just downloaded Windows 10 last night (just released today) and finished install when I awoke this morning. Seems to be running fine. Edge seems better than explorer, but still mostly using Chrome. So far can't get Civ V to work, but the message is about then Steam server being too busy. Other than that everything so far working, though I have been busy with other things today.

I just try not to be an early adopter any more. Maybe in six months...

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Thanks for the info. Is the interface pretty much like Windows 8? Do you know if Edge works with Silverlight?
Interface is more like Windows 7 with Windows 8 elements (imagine start button with tiles). Desktop and apps are seemless instead of one here and the other there. It seems much more peppy overall. Frankly, this is what Windows 8 should have looked like.

Haven't tried, but my understanding is that MS was moving away from Silverlight in favor of HTML 5. As I understand, extensions are not allowed to Edge and some are upset by that. Without doubt, it's much faster than explorer.

P.S. IE 11 (sorry, messed up the version) is available, but not the default browser.

I hated Windows 8, which is a big part of why I upgraded so quickly. Normally I wait at least a few days, but the reviews from real world testers were very positive for quite some time now. If I had seen more issues cropping up I would have taken the same tack.

Last edited:

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Ditto.

NT15 mentioned Steam. I have a Steam account but haven't used it in years. Not even on my PC anymore. I got an email yesterday from Steam saying that a PC with a different IP address had tried to log into my account. The other PC was in Moscow! Steam gave me the option of locking my account which I did.

Early adopters are valuable IMO.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Ditto.

NT15 mentioned Steam. I have a Steam account but haven't used it in years. Not even on my PC anymore. I got an email yesterday from Steam saying that a PC with a different IP address had tried to log into my account. The other PC was in Moscow! Steam gave me the option of locking my account which I did.

Early adopters are valuable IMO.
Yes, I'm willing to sacrifice them... :D

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Interface is more like Windows 7 with Windows 8 elements (imagine start button with tiles). Desktop and apps are seemless instead of one here and the other there. It seems much more peppy overall. Frankly, this is what Windows 8 should have looked like.

Haven't tried, but my understanding is that MS was moving away from Silverlight in favor of HTML 5. As I understand, extensions are not allowed to Edge and some are upset by that. Without doubt, it's much faster than explorer.

P.S. IE 11 (sorry, messed up the version) is available, but not the default browser.

I hated Windows 8, which is a big part of why I upgraded so quickly. Normally I wait at least a few days, but the reviews from real world testers were very positive for quite some time now. If I had seen more issues cropping up I would have taken the same tack.
My wife had Vista, which I upgraded to 8 and then 8.1. She's never forgiven me (even with Classic Shell installed). I'm hoping that 10 will be my redemption...

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham

Thanks again. Half the city and county GIS systems in Alabama still use Silverlight. I guess Explorer is still the only OS that still supports it. Man, I hate Explorer...

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA

I'm interested to hear what you think over the next few days. I've got my copy reserved and ready to be installed, but I want to see what kind of feedback folks have before I pull the trigger.

mulletover

All-SEC
Dec 1, 2009
Cullman Alabama
My wife had Vista, which I upgraded to 8 and then 8.1. She's never forgiven me (even with Classic Shell installed). I'm hoping that 10 will be my redemption...
As a technician in the field I see more problems with Vista than any other operating system. Mostly due to Vistas love for WEP and not playing nice with WPA WPA2 encryption.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
As a technician in the field I see more problems with Vista than any other operating system. Mostly due to Vistas love for WEP and not playing nice with WPA WPA2 encryption.
Yes. That among other problems. I've never seen an OS more determined not to play nice with networking others...

Last edited:

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Ditto.

NT15 mentioned Steam. I have a Steam account but haven't used it in years. Not even on my PC anymore. I got an email yesterday from Steam saying that a PC with a different IP address had tried to log into my account. The other PC was in Moscow!
So now we know who's been feeding Putin foreign policy advice. Nice disinformation, blaming this on some nebulous character "in Moscow."

KentuckianaBFan

All-SEC
Jan 26, 2011
Lakeland, FL, 2018
echoaffiliate.com
Have had 10 reserved for a while--nothing but crickets so far--'we're releasing in waves...maybe we'll get to you in the next few days, or weeks'...then I remember, it is Microsoft, after all...slapped myself for getting excited...gonna have to go out for more popcorn.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I have heard that previously free games like solitaire, free cell, etc you now have to pay extra with Windows 10. Not that this is a big deal to me but seems weird.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
I'm interested to hear what you think over the next few days. I've got my copy reserved and ready to be installed, but I want to see what kind of feedback folks have before I pull the trigger.
Civ V still not working and so far the workarounds don't help, but haven't tried them all yet.

I think Windows ME was worse by far, but Vista had a lot of problems.

Have had 10 reserved for a while--nothing but crickets so far--'we're releasing in waves...maybe we'll get to you in the next few days, or weeks'...then I remember, it is Microsoft, after all...slapped myself for getting excited...gonna have to go out for more popcorn.
I just checked the icon for it and it was ready.

I have heard that previously free games like solitaire, free cell, etc you now have to pay extra with Windows 10. Not that this is a big deal to me but seems weird.
IIRC, solitaire was out with the last versions and just checked and it's definitely back Had to sign into xbox live to get to it. Havem't tried any 360 games on the computer yet. Will see if I can set that up later on.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
I have been using various builds for a little while now testing our software. As someone who just wants an OS to run programs and open files easily (silly me) I actually like it for a change.

IMO

As XP was to Me,
As 7 was to Vista,
10 is to 8.1.

It seems that Microsoft has been in this loop for a long time. They screw up, get their customers to test, complain and debug, before they can do a decent job with an OS.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.