Windows 10

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Civ V still not working and so far the workarounds don't help, but haven't tried them all yet.

I think Windows ME was worse by far, but Vista had a lot of problems.

I just checked the icon for it and it was ready.

IIRC, solitaire was out with the last versions and just checked and it's definitely back Had to sign into xbox live to get to it. Havem't tried any 360 games on the computer yet. Will see if I can set that up later on.
ME was the last of the GUI overlaid on DOS programs, not a genuine OS at all, aside from the underlying DOS...

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
Civ V still not working and so far the workarounds don't help, but haven't tried them all yet.

I think Windows ME was worse by far, but Vista had a lot of problems.

I just checked the icon for it and it was ready.

IIRC, solitaire was out with the last versions and just checked and it's definitely back Had to sign into xbox live to get to it. Havem't tried any 360 games on the computer yet. Will see if I can set that up later on.
I have been using various builds for a little while now testing our software. As someone who just wants an OS to run programs and open files easily (silly me) I actually like it for a change.

IMO

As XP was to Me,
As 7 was to Vista,
10 is to 8.1.

It seems that Microsoft has been in this loop for a long time. They screw up, get their customers to test, complain and debug, before they can do a decent job with an OS.
You missed 8 :)

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
You missed 8 :)
LOL I don't see a lot of difference between 8 and 8.1. It was a patch at best. There is a great deal of difference between 8/8.1 and 10.

I especially like Continuum.
There is finally a decent multiple desktop system.
MDM will make my life a lot easier.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Originally had 8, upgraded to 8.1 long ago, and now to 10. Oddly enough, the way our buying went we never had a computer with 7 on it that I recall, unless my son's had it for a short time.
That's the reason I asked. We have 7 on three machines and I really like it. It's like an improved XP. As I said above, I upgraded my wife's from Vista to 8 and then 8.1 and she's hated them all. I'll probably put 10 on hers first...

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
That's the reason I asked. We have 7 on three machines and I really like it. It's like an improved XP. As I said above, I upgraded my wife's from Vista to 8 and then 8.1 and she's hated them all. I'll probably put 10 on hers first...
Vista, 8, and 8.1 were the worst of the past 10 years. I've used 7, so I'm quite familiar with it (I've extensively used every MS OS since 95 and NT). !0 is distinctly its own, but it takes a windows 7 desktop and adapts some Windows 8 elements (from the perspective of what you see, not what is actually happening underneath). Control Panel is replaced by Settings, but the device manager and other elements are still there, just mainly presented differently. In some ways it's a much more intuitive approach; but learning your way around takes a little time.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Vista, 8, and 8.1 were the worst of the past 10 years. I've used 7, so I'm quite familiar with it (I've extensively used every MS OS since 95 and NT). !0 is distinctly its own, but it takes a windows 7 desktop and adapts some Windows 8 elements (from the perspective of what you see, not what is actually happening underneath). Control Panel is replaced by Settings, but the device manager and other elements are still there, just mainly presented differently. In some ways it's a much more intuitive approach; but learning your way around takes a little time.
How about finding files? I've found both the user/libraries organization non-intuitive...

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
How about finding files? I've found both the user/libraries organization non-intuitive...
To me it seems the easiest MS OS for that by far. There is a search box next to the "start button" that searches locally and the web at the same time and hitting the "start button " there is "File Explorer" right there and ready to use. I also have a file folder icon on the taskbar that brings it up (same as 8). To say it is more robust is a gross understatement. The results when searching for a local file are almost instantaneous - not some slow drudgery of a bad joke.

Internet explorer is hidden and the only reason I looked for it and made a shortcut is that we coupon and so we need Java to work on at least one browser solely for that (and my wife's silly indulgence on Neopets). Otherwise I would have never needed it.

I just yesterday bought her an HP Split X2 to replace her old HP Core2 with Vista with a busted display (my fault for picking it up wrongly). It has 8.1 but I think we're going to upgrade quickly so she just has one adjustment period. I wanted to work out any problems on mine first, but mine is humming along so I think very soon on that.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
To me it seems the easiest MS OS for that by far. There is a search box next to the "start button" that searches locally and the web at the same time and hitting the "start button " there is "File Explorer" right there and ready to use. I also have a file folder icon on the taskbar that brings it up (same as 8). To say it is more robust is a gross understatement. The results when searching for a local file are almost instantaneous - not some slow drudgery of a bad joke.

Internet explorer is hidden and the only reason I looked for it and made a shortcut is that we coupon and so we need Java to work on at least one browser solely for that (and my wife's silly indulgence on Neopets). Otherwise I would have never needed it.

I just yesterday bought her an HP Split X2 to replace her old HP Core2 with Vista with a busted display (my fault for picking it up wrongly). It has 8.1 but I think we're going to upgrade quickly so she just has one adjustment period. I wanted to work out any problems on mine first, but mine is humming along so I think very soon on that.
7 is pretty fast on a search also, particularly on a fast machine like mine. I find myself using the search, rather than puzzling through their interface. I was very lucky to get my machine. As soon as 8 came out, Costco put all of its 7 machines on sale. This was a gaming Lenovo. I think Amazon had it discounted to around $1300. I got it for $600...

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
Thanks for the info, all. I'm a 7 user (with an XP machine reserved for certain games), but I am due an upgrade. I will probably wait another six months for the inevitable first patch, but am certainly glad to hear the positive reviews.

sabanball

All-American
Jan 4, 2006
High Cotton
Wait we're bashing previous versions of Windows OS and no one brings up Win NT 4.0 ?!?! Dang maybe it was just me :conf2: :frown:

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
Libraries no longer required. It was a real pain when you had to have a folder in a library to do redirection, and I hated the way offline files were handled. Not so bad with 10.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
I've been happy with Win7 on the home machine.

Besides, being able to run Civ5 is an absolute deal breaker. ;)

sabanball

All-American
Jan 4, 2006
High Cotton
I'll happily bash Windows 2000 and its networking problems, if you want... :D

Ha! Lets just lump them together and call it day :biggrin2:

I was a big fan of XP (over Win 98 SE) back in the day and am now currently satisfied/happy with Win 7. I'll let the early adopters 'feel out" Win 10 for now.

All the ones being discussed are worlds better than the first one I had...

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Ha! Lets just lump them together and call it day :biggrin2:

I was a big fan of XP (over Win 98 SE) back in the day and am now currently satisfied/happy with Win 7. I'll let the early adopters 'feel out" Win 10 for now.

All the ones being discussed are worlds better than the first one I had...

LOL! Yes, I was around in the day of 5.25" floppies and no hard drive - and a 9600 BAUD MODEM was fast... :)

sabanball

All-American
Jan 4, 2006
High Cotton
LOL! Yes, I was around in the day of 5.25" floppies and no hard drive - and a 9600 BAUD MODEM was fast... :)
5.25 " floppies...I could only wish!

More like this:

and this was my first ever computer game:

I didn't even know what a modem was sir! :biggrin:

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.