Ohio State Suspends Four Players for Season Opener Against Va Tech

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
Meh, the game should still be a massive blowout. Not only is OSU a far superior team, they also have the revenge factor on their side. VaTech would have to play the game of their lives, and even then I'm not sure they could do it. Yes, they won last year, but that OSU team was far from hitting their stride, and they were breaking in a new qb with minimal starting experience. That loss seemed to gel the team, and they now have 3 starting qbs with a lot of experience. They'll be just fine.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I'm not sure what to think.

1) They'll blow out Va Tech anyway.

(just like last year, right?)

2) It's best to lose early in the season

(I don't quite get this argument since Michigan did lose to App State in the opener in 2007, but I'll concede folks operate that way)

3) The new rules take into account suspended players missing blah blah blah

(Perhaps that's his motivation, maybe not)

Here's my take: I don't care if Urban did it because a 21-year old intern serviced him or he sold his soul to the devil for a back-to-back championship. It IS the right thing to do, and the guy ought to get credit for doing the right thing even if the motivation does happen to be wrong.

Besides - I recall folks on this board last fall saying Ohio State would lose to Wisconsin (59-0) and the third string QB ensured they'd lose to Alabama, too.

That might have created the kind of togetherness none of us outside Columbus wants on the Buckeyes.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Here's hoping they do lose to VT! I don't think there's any team in the B1G that can beat them. Hopefully, VT's coach will have a good season and then retire and let that DC have a chance before it's time for him to retire also.

With that said, tOSU has an SEC caliber team in a conference that does nor have more that two or three quality teams: maybe Wisconsin, and maybe State Penn. However, I don't think either one will play a close game with tOSU.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Here's hoping they do lose to VT! I don't think there's any team in the B1G that can beat them. Hopefully, VT's coach will have a good season and then retire and let that DC have a chance before it's time for him to retire also.
VT has itself caught. They are paying Beamer so much (much more than he is worth at this point), so he can't step down. Beamer can't quit as long as VT is paying him stupid money to keep running the program into the Diddy-esque dirt. He is such a big figure in VT football history, they can't fire him.
It's going to take:
(a) the Grim Reaper (hope that is a long ways off for Coach Beamer)
(b) Beamer being the bigger man and realizing it is time to step down or
(c) A really, really bad year (or years) after which the AD will thank Beamer for everything he has done for VT and wish him a happy retirement.

Otherwise, the run of mediocre years for VT football extends into the hazy distance.
I'm hoping for (b).

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Almost assuredly Meyer deserves neither praise nor criticism for this discipline as the transgressions appear to be violations of University policy, thus the discipline was based on that policy. I.e., the football coach had nothing to do with it, had no choice in the matter.

oldtimetider

1st Team
Nov 16, 2008
It's way too early to tell if it's the case here but success is hard to handle. Having achieved the pinnacle of college football, it's hard to maintain the focus and intensity that got you there. Losing that edge is a greater threat to OSU than losing those players for a game. Again, not sure that's the case here but It's just human nature to relax a bit and enjoy once you have "arrived". We've had to deal with it for years now....I'm not sure anything motivates and focuses like a loss....

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.