Poll: Most memorable win over Georgia

which is the most memorable UGA game

• Total voters

PaulD

All-SEC
Dec 29, 2006
near Perry, Georgia, United States
Showing my age: The 1973 game, where we trailed late but scored two touchdowns in the last couple of minutes, was one of my favorite college-years wins during an era when we hardly ever lost. Game ended in a near brawl with Georgia players losing their collective minds on our last-play interception.

Classlessness, it seems, can be trans-generational.
That was my freshman year and might have been my first game in Denny Stadium (as it was then)!

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
We has just purchased a 55 inch big screeen tv in 1985. We alll have games that we were at or doing something that we will never forget. I just felt we were going to loose, so I told the g/f at the time I am going to go to the 7-11 to get a 6 pack and cigarettes. I am listening to it on the radio in the car as Shula pulls the miracle drive of his career. Luckly the 7-11 was only 2 blocks from our apartment, I drove home as fast as I could and caught the final 3 plays. It taught me never to give up on Bama when the game is that close. Even though I was at the Georgia dome to watch us beat Ga for SEC Championship the 1985 game will always be etched in my memory.
there are so many stories I hear from friends of mine that after the block they were leaving or going to bed and whatnot, and missed the end. I know one that left the stadium and missed it.

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL
I'll go with 1994 because I was there. As a matter of fact, it's the last time I was in BDS. I'll never forget that game and how those players never gave up.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
When Georgia is involved, 92, your startling lack of impulse control is one of the highlights of this board.
its something in which i take a good bit of pride :D

but i'm pretty sure (at least to a certain extent) that my utter disdain for all things uga is shared across many of my fellow bama fan georgia brethren and sisteren.

its also shared by my fellow tech alumni

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
That was my freshman year and might have been my first game in Denny Stadium (as it was then)!
Great game to make your debut, bud. Georgia played us off our feet in the second half, but Gary Rutledge and Willy Shelby saved us late. After we took the lead, Georgia got truly hosed when a long completion over Mike Washington was wrongfully called out of bounds. Never fear, Georgia lost all sympathy when we intercepted their last throw, took a knee, and the Dawgs began spearing and ripping our helmets off. Our kids, to a man, turned and walked off the field.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
its something in which i take a good bit of pride :D

but i'm pretty sure (at least to a certain extent) that my utter disdain for all things uga is shared across many of my fellow bama fan georgia brethren and sisteren.

its also shared by my fellow tech alumni
They are the worst, and that (wait for it) includes Auburn.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
1994 was my favorite of all of them. i had been in georgia for a bit and was watching with puppy fans in atlanta. they kept running their mouths while they were ahead, and i just sat there with an air of confidence and told them the game lasts for 60 minutes.
I had just moved to Stockbridge, GA in '85. All the kids there started calling me 'Alabama' for some reason and they were telling me how UGA was going to beat Bama. I remember we held a slim lead for most of the game until UGA returned a block punt near the last minute. They were going nuts. I was about to turn off the TV but my mom told me to keep it on. So glad we did. That was a great finish. :) Like you, Tide92, I cannot stand anything Georgia to this day :wink:

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I had just moved to Stockbridge, GA in '85. All the kids there started calling me 'Alabama' for some reason and they were telling me how UGA was going to beat Bama. I remember we held a slim lead for most of the game until UGA returned a block punt near the last minute. They were going nuts. I was about to turn off the TV but my mom told me to keep it on. So glad we did. That was a great finish. :) Like you, Tide92, I cannot stand anything Georgia to this day :wink:
:cheers2:

irNate

1st Team
Nov 19, 2010
Snellville, GA
There was a highlight video from the blackout game that started out black and white, then when Julio catches a TD pass it goes to color and the beat down commences. I've searched everywhere and I haven't been able to find it again..

wsims74

3rd Team
Apr 30, 2013
same here. It was the loudest in the time. Also the story line was great. Jay barker (by this time in his career even lots of alabam fans thought he wasn't that good) going against the great Eric Zier. Every time GA went ahead, I would think "that's we don't have enough offense to come back now". Jay barker wound up with what 450? idr. anyways, still in my top two of all time games.

1994. Mainly because I was there. At the time it was the loudest game I'd ever attended. I remember how obnoxious the UGA fans were before the game. They had a little different attitude after.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
same here. It was the loudest in the time. Also the story line was great. Jay barker (by this time in his career even lots of alabam fans thought he wasn't that good) going against the great Eric Zier. Every time GA went ahead, I would think "that's we don't have enough offense to come back now". Jay barker wound up with what 450? idr. anyways, still in my top two of all time games.
394 yards passing for Barker that night. Zeier had a pretty good night too, but nothing close to that.

Alabama has had a 400 yard passer only twice in its history, if I'm not mistaken. Scott Hunter vs. Auburn in 1969 (a loss), and Blake Sims last year vs. Florida.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I fully agree the 1984 game almost game me a heart attack.
We lost the 1984 game, 24-14, and never had a chance to win that one. I'm guessing based on your next comment you meant 1985, but even that confuses me.

Richardson caught a Shula pass and got of bounds to stop the clock.
Yes, he caught the first completed pass of the drive, but it would have been a first down to stop the clock anyway. I suspect you're confusing the Georgia game with the Auburn game. Richardson caught it at midfield and dragged the defender out of bounds to give Van Tiffin a shot. Shula hit Bell with the other passes after Richardson. It was Al Bell's first game as a Tide receiver.

Keith Jackson does a great job of calling the final drive. I know its on you tube.
Correct.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Although I absolutely loved the 2008 and 2012 games, the 1994 game was more special to me. I guess because it was back when I was a kid. We didn't have cable or satellite tv at that time so my dad and I listened to Eli Gold on the radio. I've seen the replay since, but there is something magical about listening to the game on the radio and getting excited with your dad when Alabama wins a thriller.
Thank you for this post. You made me remember listening to the Alabama games in the early 70's with my dad. He's gone now but those are some of the sweetest memories I have of time shared with him.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
There's a ton of memories in all these.

1985 - the game was played on Labor Day - Monday night - as a prime-time treat, which was something we didn't get back in those days (the morning to midnight college football was NOT in existence back then like it is now). Hurricane Elena hit the Gulf Coast in Mississippi, so there were updates on that. That game was - well - boring. Until the final minute when suddenly fourteen points were scored, seven each way. When UGA blocked the punt, I had 1984 flashbacks going on (although we were 5-6 that year, only two teams - UGA and Ga Tech - beat us by double digits and we blew games against BC, Tennessee, and LSU in the final quarter).

That game made me believe Shula was capable of pulling off what he did in the Iron Bowl that same year.

1994 - this was a gunfight at the OK Corral. Alabama plodded along for nearly three quarters looking like they'd all donated blood that afternoon. Suddenly BOOM! The game was on. That year was the most fun year I ever had as a Tide fan that did not end with a title. Eight times we trailed in the fourth and won.

2008 - that was a terrible day at work. All our instruments crashed due to mechanical failures, and we were having to send ER labs out to other hospitals while trying to fix the broken instruments. You know how hard that is? By the time I got home, we were up something like 17-0 and my soon-to-be-ex said she had never seen Alabama play like that in the nearly 20 years we'd known each other. "This is a different team" she said. That's when we gained national respect.

2012 - I just watched this last week, and it is everything a college football game should be. When UGA blocked the field goal to go up, 21-10, that was the first time all year I had doubts about us. But then I saw Fluker when we came back from the TV break, and I turned to my co-worker and said, "We're going to run and run and run and break them - and then we'll kill them with a bomb in the fourth quarter."

The most important play of that entire game I must confess I was screaming at Saban. When we got the TD to make it 21-16 in the third and he went for two, I nearly lost it. When we made it, I breathed a sigh of relief and figured it was Saban sending UGA a message - "We're running, and you can't stop it. You know it and we know it."

Without that conversion, UGA lines up for a field goal to force overtime and then who knows? I did, however, think that that non-interception was a bad call and so did the non-partisan co-workers of mine. I nearly went on myself when UGA got close enough for a winning shot.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
was that the game where we didn't score on offense?
You're close - we scored ONE TD on offense, a 12-yard run by Riddle. But that was set up by a turnover.

Our other scores were:

1) Proctor FG from 21
2) Cedric Samuel 21-yard fumble return
3) Deshea Townsend 90-yard blocked FG
4) Kevin Jackson interception return from 26

Btw - the Bulldogs starting QB, until he turned it over twice, was Hines Ward, who had a pretty good career as a receiver for the Steelers.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.