Samuel DuBose shooting in Cincinnati

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
This has ignited a broader debate which we haven't touched on in this thread and that is whether schools should be in the business of running PDs at all. It was a long time ago, but, when I was at UA, the campus cops were literally the Keystone Kops. They were a bunch of buffoons. Oh, you'd call them if the Phi Delts were out drunk on the front lawn in their underwear again, but for anything serious, you called TPD. A lot of schools, I understand, don't have overlapping jurisdictions, as at UA, where the school lies within the city limits. For example, when my wife was at OM, they had to have a separate PD, because the school lay outside the Oxford city limits, by more than a mile. Nationwide, it appears that campus cops are underpaid, undertrained, and ill-equipped. The counterargument I've heard is that campus cops are accustomed to dealing with a youthful populace; have to show more patience, etc. I can see both sides. I do believe that most campus PDs need better personnel...
I do know that UA PD today pays better than TPD and is decently selective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
This has ignited a broader debate which we haven't touched on in this thread and that is whether schools should be in the business of running PDs at all. It was a long time ago, but, when I was at UA, the campus cops were literally the Keystone Kops. They were a bunch of buffoons. Oh, you'd call them if the Phi Delts were out drunk on the front lawn in their underwear again, but for anything serious, you called TPD. A lot of schools, I understand, don't have overlapping jurisdictions, as at UA, where the school lies within the city limits. For example, when my wife was at OM, they had to have a separate PD, because the school lay outside the Oxford city limits, by more than a mile. Nationwide, it appears that campus cops are underpaid, undertrained, and ill-equipped. The counterargument I've heard is that campus cops are accustomed to dealing with a youthful populace; have to show more patience, etc. I can see both sides. I do believe that most campus PDs need better personnel...
I thought that either by law or agreement the TPD was suppose to stay off campus.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
Was where DuBose was killed actually ON the UC campus? If not, do the UC cops even have jurisdiction? I can see where they'd go slightly off campus to stop a serious crime, but why would they even bother to (or be allowed to) stop somebody outside their jurisdiction for a missing front license plate?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I know AU doesn't even have a police force. They just work with the city now.

When I was going though orientation at Bama in 2009, the UAPD officer speaking to us told us they went through the same training as any other officer.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I do know that UA PD today pays better than TPD and is decently selective.
My experience at VT was much the same. The campus cops were much more serious. The Blacksburg cops are into generating revenue: speeding tickets and, on Friday & Saturday night, they line up like a cordon between the Strip and campus looking for students guilty of public intox, which generate a good deal of town revenue and allows the town to look "serious about drinking."

Then again, VT cops have the 2007 stuff to keep them serious.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I thought that either by law or agreement the TPD was suppose to stay off campus.
I highly doubt UACP has exclusive jurisdiction since it is in Tuscaloosa County. If TPD stayed off campus then that doesnt mean TCPD couldnt go on. But there might be a loophole somewhere but UAPD doesnt list any juridiction details on their site, atleast none I can see. I would guess it would be a shared jurisdiction with the county at the very least.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

When I was going though orientation at Bama in 2009, the UAPD officer speaking to us told us they went through the same training as any other officer.
I applied there last year, and they required you to take a police exam and go to the Tuscaloosa Police Academy. So yes they are trained like any normal police department.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Was where DuBose was killed actually ON the UC campus? If not, do the UC cops even have jurisdiction? I can see where they'd go slightly off campus to stop a serious crime, but why would they even bother to (or be allowed to) stop somebody outside their jurisdiction for a missing front license plate?
i think i read he was more than a 1/2 mile off of campus, but that there was some sort of overlapping jurisdictional arrangement or something like that

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

I'm happy to hear that. Remember that, when I'm referring to my years at Bama, I'm talking about the mid-'50s to the early '60s. Things have changed radically from those days. For example, in my years there, I knew exactly two guys who had handguns and one wasn't even a student. He was the BF and lived with a female student. He was from out west, Nevada, I think, and, believe it or not, had two wheel guns in double leather scabbards, just like the movies. The other was sort of a friend. He was from MS and had a single action Ruger Blackhawk, .44 magnum. I tried shooting it once and ended up with my thumb web bloodied, showing me my hand wasn't big enough...

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
This is the first time I've seen the videos. The 2nd one showing the full stop was more enlightening than the first. I think the officer panicked as he was pointing the gun at DuBose and pulled the trigger. Looks like the car had already started moving when the shot was fired based on the not-so-good view of the distance between the vehicle behind DuBose's car before and immediately after the shot. During some news reports, I was led to believe that the cop was aggressive and over-the-top during the time leading up to when the driver began to pull away but I did not take this away from the video.

I was leery of even watching the video feeling somewhat ghoulish but I really wanted to see if the situation was blatant police brutality and racial discrimination. I don’t see this on the video footage. I thought at first that the cop was too quick to pull his weapon but realize that when the person in the car cranks it up and starts moving about, the cop doesn’t know if the driver is also reaching for a weapon.

The real problem started when the driver did not follow the cop’s orders but many people do not question the actions taken by the driver. There was a recent shooting locally by a cop who had placed a passenger into the backseat of his squad car while gathering more information on some warrants for this person. The passenger was in a car pulled over for a non-functioning headlight. When the cop opened the squad car door to handcuff the person, the person kicked the door on the cop and attacked the copy using the handcuffs as a weapon; during the struggle the person was shot. Folks protesting the incident asked all sorts of questions but not why the person attacked the cop.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.