ESPN: Alabama and Louisville will Open 2018 Season in Orlando

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
How on earth do we have to go 9 YRS before getting to play South Carolina in the rotation??(last time we played them was 5 yrs ago)
This is why I'm in favor of 9 conference games. I know it makes the schedule tougher, but I don't like that there is such a length of time between playing all the East teams besides Tennessee.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
When the SEC was a 10 team league, Coach Bryant always attempted to schedule ALL nine of the other schools. Had nine of the other 10 scheduled in 1966 when it was an 11 team league, and then Tulane withdrew in June of '66 and asked to be removed from the schedule.

His scheduling led to the Minimum of Six Conference Games rule being changed to Minimum/Maximum of Six Conference Games. Which is why the Ole Miss games in 1980 and 1981 were not counted as conference games.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
How on earth do we have to go 9 YRS before getting to play South Carolina in the rotation??(last time we played them was 5 yrs ago)
I just don't see how not playing South Carolina negatively impacts Alabama one tiny bit. If they're good enough Alabama can play them in the SECCG. If they're not? Who cares?

The cost of a ninth conference game will likely be taking an even closer look at OOC games. I mean, Alabama schedules some tough ones, but even last year, in which West Virginia was considered relatively weak for an OOC opponent, Alabama had the #2 SoS. If Alabama had say FSU or USC and a ninth conference game? It would be beyond ridiculous. As it was, the tough schedule didn't really do Alabama any favors, it just made it tougher. Alabama would have been in a playoff with a far easier schedule. So I'm not seeing any tangible benefit, at least with OOC Alabama gets a choice of where it is played and who they play.

I get that Saban holds both positions, but... like his comments after the SECCG (about it being overlooked now, which it is), I think once he's faced with reality the change might not be so nice.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.