How One Stupid Tweet Blew Up Justine Sacco’s Life

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
that is absurd.

that being said, i cannot for the life of me get my head around people's need to share their every thought and activity with the world. and of other's need to worry about the random crap coming out of other people's heads.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Two things come to mind.

1. It seems that people still don't understand that what you say on social media is public, to the entire world. We would never say or do these things if we were standing in front of a large audience. People still feel somewhat anonymous online.

2. As a society we sure do enjoy watching people suffer. The article mentioned the public shamings or executions of the past and how folks attended these events with glee. Sort of like the old Roman coliseum and watching people get mauled and eaten by lions. I don't really believe humans have advanced beyond that collective desire to witness someone get destroyed. We've just sort of virtualized it.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
As a society we sure do enjoy watching people suffer. The article mentioned the public shamings or executions of the past and how folks attended these events with glee. Sort of like the old Roman coliseum and watching people get mauled and eaten by lions. I don't really believe humans have advanced beyond that collective desire to witness someone get destroyed. We've just sort of virtualized it.
So true!

SavannahDare

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Gulf Breeze, Florida
Virtual witch hunts in response to missteps in virtual reality can be simultaneously mind-numbing and fascinating to watch unfold. The illustrations of narcissism, unmet dependency needs and group think are a voyeur's delight!

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Virtual witch hunts in response to missteps in virtual reality can be simultaneously mind-numbing and fascinating to watch unfold. The illustrations of narcissism, unmet dependency needs and group think are a voyeur's delight!

Hate to see a perfectly good emoticon go to waste!

:pDT_popc1:

Welcome back II ! :)

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Just read the article....she actually wrote this (which means to me this is how she thinks):

“  ‘Weird German Dude: You’re in First Class. It’s 2014. Get some deodorant.’ — Inner monologue as I inhale BO. Thank God for pharmaceuticals.”

Then, during her layover at Heathrow:
“Chilly — cucumber sandwiches — bad teeth. Back in London!”
And on Dec. 20, before the final leg of her trip to Cape Town:
“Going to Africa. Hope I don’t get AIDS. Just kidding. I’m white!”
Hope I don't get AIDS?

Just kidding. I'm white?

Whoa........

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
Two things come to mind.

1. It seems that people still don't understand that what you say on social media is public, to the entire world. We would never say or do these things if we were standing in front of a large audience. People still feel somewhat anonymous online.

2. As a society we sure do enjoy watching people suffer. The article mentioned the public shamings or executions of the past and how folks attended these events with glee. Sort of like the old Roman coliseum and watching people get mauled and eaten by lions. I don't really believe humans have advanced beyond that collective desire to witness someone get destroyed. We've just sort of virtualized it.
***LIKE***

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
If it makes her feel better, I was unaware of this until just now. She doesn't sound like somebody I would want to know, however.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Looks more like a result of not thinking.
Absolutely. Of course, I think she only had about 170 followers, so she probably expected those people who were following her knew her and would see the (poor) joke in context.

But the response from the masses is what fascinates me - she lost everything she had worked for because she said something some folks were offended by. I'm no psychologist, the 'group shaming' mentality seems to point to some serious issues in the people who cannot wait to see something bad happen to someone else, because they think that person 'deserves' it.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Absolutely. Of course, I think she only had about 170 followers, so she probably expected those people who were following her knew her and would see the (poor) joke in context.

But the response from the masses is what fascinates me - she lost everything she had worked for because she said something some folks were offended by. I'm no psychologist, the 'group shaming' mentality seems to point to some serious issues in the people who cannot wait to see something bad happen to someone else, because they think that person 'deserves' it.
i think that this is a part of human nature and is exacerbated by the prevalence of social media.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Very insightful article. Occasionally, I'll put or share something on Facebook I decide later will be misunderstood. My wife is also a pretty good censor - "Are you sure you want to leave that up?" I follow a couple of tweets, but I never tweet myself. I'd like to think I'd never put something up like she did. OTOH, I'm perfectly capable of tweeting something which could be misunderstood...

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

agreed. just being an idiot d-bag shouldn't ruin the rest of your life

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.