How One Stupid Tweet Blew Up Justine Sacco’s Life

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
You do realize that you just won a Certificate of Redundancy Certificate, which proves my point. Most of what you have listed up there are just ten different ways of saying "gay activism."

I also notice you CAREFULLY left off Planned Parenthood, but I guess to the activists (no reflection on present company), a dead lion is far more enraging than selling baby parts.

The mere fact you had to list the same things over and over pretty much proves the point. We could summarize yours under two headings, black issues and gay issues.
I think your calculator may be on the fritz. Even if you want to restrict the list to general categories :rolleyes:, there are certainly more than those two headings. The Clint Eastwood ad would fit into the category of policy issues, I suppose. Maybe economic. The "Holidays" would go in a religion category. Muslims and foreign languages could be in the racial category maybe, but obviously not "black". The last two (in general, since they're pretty different) would be morality, family values? Help me out on a category for that. Flag-burning is a patriotism issue. I'm not sure what to categorize flag-removing as. Maybe we could lump that and sex education in with Clint as policy issues. None of those are in any way "black issues" or "gay issues".

My handy and reliable HP 12c (with fresh batteries! Holla!) tells me that that's at least 7 different categories. Republicans are so versatile! :smile:

I intentionally listed gay issue items and black issue items together. Both because they pretty much occurred to me together, and because spreading them out in a list would seem like an intentional attempt to hide the fact that they're somewhat related. Especially to a bright fella like yourself. I tried to list ALL related items together (that's just good writin' right there!). :biggrin2: I struggled a bit with whether to list the rainbow flag thing in the "gay" section or the "flag" section, but I'm comfortable with my choice.

But, those are all individual items that I personally have seen or heard Republicans claim to be outraged/offended about relatively recently. The comments I heard or read didn't say, "Dang it, I'm really offended by gay issues!" They tend to be more specific.

I left off Planned Parenthood because it honestly didn't occur to me in the six or eight minutes it took me to type the post (no, I'm not a fast typer person), or afterward. I did say that it was a partial list though. You can add it if you want. But, I guess Planned Parenthood is a policy or morals issue, too, so no eighth category. :(

But, let's not pretend that Democrats have the market corned on being offended. That's just intellectual dishonesty. It's a bi-partisan pastime.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I think your calculator may be on the fritz. Even if you want to restrict the list to general categories :rolleyes:, there are certainly more than those two headings. The Clint Eastwood ad would fit into the category of policy issues, I suppose. Maybe economic. The "Holidays" would go in a religion category. Muslims and foreign languages could be in the racial category maybe, but obviously not "black". The last two (in general, since they're pretty different) would be morality, family values? Help me out on a category for that. Flag-burning is a patriotism issue. I'm not sure what to categorize flag-removing as. Maybe we could lump that and sex education in with Clint as policy issues. None of those are in any way "black issues" or "gay issues".

My handy and reliable HP 12c (with fresh batteries! Holla!) tells me that that's at least 7 different categories. Republicans are so versatile! :smile:

I intentionally listed gay issue items and black issue items together. Both because they pretty much occurred to me together, and because spreading them out in a list would seem like an intentional attempt to hide the fact that they're somewhat related. Especially to a bright fella like yourself. I tried to list ALL related items together (that's just good writin' right there!). :biggrin2: I struggled a bit with whether to list the rainbow flag thing in the "gay" section or the "flag" section, but I'm comfortable with my choice.

But, those are all individual items that I personally have seen or heard Republicans claim to be outraged/offended about relatively recently. The comments I heard or read didn't say, "Dang it, I'm really offended by gay issues!" They tend to be more specific.

I left off Planned Parenthood because it honestly didn't occur to me in the six or eight minutes it took me to type the post (no, I'm not a fast typer person), or afterward. I did say that it was a partial list though. You can add it if you want. But, I guess Planned Parenthood is a policy or morals issue, too, so no eighth category. :(

But, let's not pretend that Democrats have the market corned on being offended. That's just intellectual dishonesty. It's a bi-partisan pastime.
You've invented a whole new internet term - "hyper typer." :D

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
Catfish said:
Fwiw, I, and most Republicans I know aren't bothered at all with gay issues. They (we) are actually indifferent to them, and don't care one way or the other what gays do, either within private settings or in their own gatherings. What we are offended by is when the gay community or individuals try to rub in it our faces and force us to publicly accept their behavior.

America was founded on, among other things, the individual's God-given right to think what they will and speak their own minds without fear of reprisal or persecution. It seems to me the gay community as a whole wants it both ways. They want to have the freedom to think what they want and to speak their own minds, yet at the same time they seem to want to deny those same rights to others who do not agree with them. That attitude is what offends (me) us the most.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.