2016 SG Terrance Ferguson

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
By the way just to clarify my comments earlier, it wasn't that I think Alabama shouldn't try to get ahead in the arms race and build a new facility... just that for a commit to make that a major part of their choice seems extremely short-sighted. Not even saying Ferguson did that, but it would just be such an asinine thing to base your choice on.

Bama-94-00

All-American
Nov 1, 2004
Huntsville/Madison, AL area
By the way just to clarify my comments earlier, it wasn't that I think Alabama shouldn't try to get ahead in the arms race and build a new facility... just that for a commit to make that a major part of their choice seems extremely short-sighted. Not even saying Ferguson did that, but it would just be such an asinine thing to base your choice on.
On yea sure, picking a school should be for multiple reasons. The student athlete could pick school X that has plans for a new arena to be completed while the athlete is in school. But if the project gets delayed or canceled?

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
On yea sure, picking a school should be for multiple reasons. The student athlete could pick school X that has plans for a new arena to be completed while the athlete is in school. But if the project gets delayed or canceled?
I recall South Alabama football recruits being told of plans to build a new stadium a couple of years ago. Now, there are plans but they are tentative at best and nothing will be done within the window of those recruits eligibility. So yes, letting the idea of future facilities influence the recruiting process can be be pointless.

I'd argue it goes beyond that though. I think it is reasonable to want to play in front of a decent crowd, and on decent playing surface, but how far should a recruit go in terms of caring about the facilities? When we go into well ok sure there are a lot of fans and decent capacity, and the playing surface is fine, but it's just kind of old and doesn't look as good as some of the newer facilities... Really? It just seems like the last thing a teenager who has a potential pro career ahead of him should worry about.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
I recall South Alabama football recruits being told of plans to build a new stadium a couple of years ago. Now, there are plans but they are tentative at best and nothing will be done within the window of those recruits eligibility. So yes, letting the idea of future facilities influence the recruiting process can be be pointless.

I'd argue it goes beyond that though. I think it is reasonable to want to play in front of a decent crowd, and on decent playing surface, but how far should a recruit go in terms of caring about the facilities? When we go into well ok sure there are a lot of fans and decent capacity, and the playing surface is fine, but it's just kind of old and doesn't look as good as some of the newer facilities... Really? It just seems like the last thing a teenager who has a potential pro career ahead of him should worry about.
Yes, you are right. If a kid wants to go to the NBA, facilities should not really matter. The reality is much different though when you are a school that hasn't produced NBA talent on a consistent basis for a while.(Since Wimp)The fact is recruits, especially basketball recruits, think that facilities are part of the equation to show the programs commitment to winning and a kid on a winning team is going to get a look before a kid on an also ran. See Retin. The game day experience is extremely important in recruiting and ours is only OK. I was told that Ferguson was put off by the fact that the biggest cheer of the Auburn game was for the football team at halftime. I was told he and a couple of other recruits left early because they're perception was the we are a football only school.

Speaking of the game day or game experience, football has excelled in making the games an event to be seen-not just a game. Basketball need to take a page out of that book and work on making the basketball experience something that attracts fans because it needs to be seen as an event rather than just a game. Hard core fans go because they love the game, but your fringe fans need a reason to show up. The arena is part and parcel to that attitude. A new arena would generate excitement again not seen since the days of Wimp Sanderson.

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn
I don't have a link but I see where 247 sports is reporting this kid is expected to start playing ball overseas soon and will not be enrolling at Arizona. I guess we did not miss out on much after all.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I don't have a link but I see where 247 sports is reporting this kid is expected to start playing ball overseas soon and will not be enrolling at Arizona. I guess we did not miss out on much after all.
As some feared when he committed to Alabama, his school appears to be a place the Clearinghouse doesn't like. If he can't get cleared to play at Arizona, he's going to Europe.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
As some feared when he committed to Alabama, his school appears to be a place the Clearinghouse doesn't like. If he can't get cleared to play at Arizona, he's going to Europe.
Based on his choice of a "high school", academics aren't a big priority. He'd be a one and done and hurt our RPI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
I say great for him. You can't expect a kid to know if a school is just an athlete factory or not. I hope he makes it so he can say "screw you NCAA".

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
That wouldn't have an impact on Bama's RPI.

It would if his GPA sucked or if he just left as soon as the season is over and dropped all his spring term classes.

To the point, I think he is doing the right thing for him. He can get some court time and make money until he is draft eligible.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
It would if his GPA sucked or if he just left as soon as the season is over and dropped all his spring term classes.

To the point, I think he is doing the right thing for him. He can get some court time and make money until he is draft eligible.

You're thinking about APR.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.