Five most overrated teams: Friday Five

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
The preseason Coaches Poll was released on Thursday, which was big news simply because the release of preseason Coaches and AP Polls simply means the season is almost here. Now, there are a lot of things in the world of college football that I find to be stupid, and preseason polls are at the top of that list.

We're ranking teams that we haven't seen play yet based on the history of what those teams have done with different players and coaches. It's a silly exercise

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...-the-most-overrated-teams-in-the-coaches-poll

Alabama is "overrated" according to this article.

Now, don't you just love it when some idiot disses preseason polls because they are based on LAST YEAR and then writes the five most overrated teams BASED ON LAST YEAR? :conf2:

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
The preseason Coaches Poll was released on Thursday, which was big news simply because the release of preseason Coaches and AP Polls simply means the season is almost here. Now, there are a lot of things in the world of college football that I find to be stupid, and preseason polls are at the top of that list.

We're ranking teams that we haven't seen play yet based on the history of what those teams have done with different players and coaches. It's a silly exercise

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...-the-most-overrated-teams-in-the-coaches-poll

Now, don't you just love it when some idiot disses preseason polls because they are based on LAST YEAR and then writes the five most overrated teams BASED ON LAST YEAR? :conf2:
I don't want to give the guy the clicks, but what else does he want sports media to do?
If I was the Planetary Commander (and I'd appreciate your vote if it comes to that), I would ban any college football polls until mid-October. That way, we would get away from the "well, last year they looked this way (good or bad), and they return X number of starters so, I'd guess they are the ___ best team in the country." By mid-October, you have a bit of a resume on which to base rankings.
Odd seeing a story in sports media taking this approach, however.

tide96

All-SEC
Oct 4, 2005
It is right to say we have some questions. Every team outside of Ohio State has questions, and they still have to replace their leading receiver.

But every time someone says a team is overrated, I say who would you put ahead of us?

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
It is right to say we have some questions. Every team outside of Ohio State has questions, and they still have to replace their leading receiver.

But every time someone says a team is overrated, I say who would you put ahead of us?
Exactly. I said something very similar in another thread. Alabama has unsettled QB position but so does just about every other top team. Really only two teams with good QB situations: OSU and TCU. Georgia, Auburn, FSU, USCw, Oregon, LSU, Baylor- all have unproven or an unsettled QB position. That's why, IMO, the rankings came out like they did. The only two teams ahead of us have similar overall talent but they have proven and experienced QBs..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
One thing I will say about tOSU: last year they don't really have a QB controversy. They simply had the next guy step up...twice. This year everyone is expecting them to repeat and they even had to move the two-time Big10 player of the year to WR to make room at QB. If the starter has one bad game, people will be calling for the other guy to get a shot. It could backfire on them.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
One thing I will say about tOSU: last year they don't really have a QB controversy. They simply had the next guy step up...twice. This year everyone is expecting them to repeat and they even had to move the two-time Big10 player of the year to WR to make room at QB. If the starter has one bad game, people will be calling for the other guy to get a shot. It could backfire on them.
Yep. They're going to find out this year that's it's much easier to be the hunter than the hunted..

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Preseason polls aren't based on the previous year. They are based on the voters' projections on the upcoming season.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Preseason polls aren't based on the previous year. They are based on the voters' projections on the upcoming season.
You are exactly right. We KNOW what Ohio State is bringing back from LAST YEAR. We know that Alabama lost half the starters from LAST YEAR. So we now base our preseason ranking on what we think they will do THIS YEAR and included in this is the recruits coming in.

Honestly, I don't know why preseason polls upset people (other than Boise and Vandy) :tongue: like they do.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Actually the only criteria for ranking a team in a preseason poll are the numbers of returning starters and their backups and a team's ease or difficulty of schedule. There is nothing else I know of that can be used as a measurable.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Actually the only criteria for ranking a team in a preseason poll are the numbers of returning starters and their backups and a team's ease or difficulty of schedule. There is nothing else I know of that can be used as a measurable.
I think continued success could be a criteria. Alabama has finished top 4 in 6 of the last 7 years (2010 was the exception). Makes a lot of sense from that perspective to put Alabama in the top 4. Obviously doesn't mean that Bama will finish top 4 but it does have precedent..

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
I see no reason why we should be ranked any higher than where we finished last year. I don't think we'll be near as good. JMO.
*Under Saban, 1st year QBs have won NCs or SEC Championships.

*our front 7 might very well be the best in the nation, Saban himself said they were , " very, very good". we know CNS usually doesn't like to give praises that easily to any unit on our team. the LBs are going to be more versatile and faster from the OLB position ( Evans and Williams). if Ragland continues to be the beast as he was last season, we are looking at the next Butkus Award winner.

* our 2nd team DL could start for most Top 25 teams and in all likelihood start on any current SEC team. this is the most talented and deepest unit Alabama has had on the roster under CNS.

* while Bama might not have Landry as SS, the secondary returns with veterans like Cyrus Jones,Eddie Jackson, Brad Sylve, Geno Smith, Jabril Washington along with perhaps the best group of young talented DBs Bama has had since the early 90s. Coach Mel Tucker is a huge upgrade from all indications and I believe it will pay dividends this season.

* our OL lost 3 of the 5 starters from last season, but we have one of the best centers ( Remington watch list) in the nation returning along with a future Top 5 NFL LT coming back as a true sophomore. Bozeman, Jackson, and Pierschbacher are more athletic and true road graders that will be instrumental in our traditional run game under CNS.

* it will be hard to replace AA like Cooper, but we have a deeper, faster, and dare I say more talented group of WRs waiting to see the field. early reports indicate that Ridley will make us forget about Amari. OJ Howard is heading into his 3rd year as a TE.

* the RBs are thin coming into the season, but practice and staff reports indicate that Harris is the real deal and will be in the rotation to spell relief for Drake/Henry who are among the best backs in the nation. if Bo returns 100% by October, LOOK OUT!!!

while I understand your apprehension about this edition of the 2015 Alabama Football team, I OTOH am looking at the great possibilities of what this team can do. :BigA:

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Yep. They're going to find out this year that's it's much easier to be the hunter than the hunted..
I certainly hope so, but they just don't play anyone. They'd have to really screw up, and even if they do they'll get a mulligan like last year (their showing against a mediocre Virginia Tech was just terrible).

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I'll never understand how people don't see articles like this as Good Things - they literally mean nothing but they can help light a fire under the team if there's any hint of complacency. There's literally no downside to people poor-mouthing Bama.

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
I'll never understand how people don't see articles like this as Good Things - they literally mean nothing but they can help light a fire under the team if there's any hint of complacency. There's literally no downside to people poor-mouthing Bama.
Agree completely. Wish tOSU had called our team fat and slow on Bourbon Street.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I agree. I was just pointing out that if you call preseason polls stupid and then you make a preseason five team poll of your own ..... what does that make you? :biggrin2:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.