Rowdy Roddy Piper Dies From Cardiac Arrest At 61

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
As we have a large contingent of (former) pro wrassling watchers here, I'm sure some of you saw this. If not, the basic news is that Piper went in his sleep last night.

Several years back Piper showed up after having bashed the WWE and made an appearance somewhere (Wrestlemania I think, I don't know, I haven't watched it in years). His reason? He needed the big bucks McMahon paid him because - he said at the time - he wasn't going to live long enough to take care of his family because of years of steroid use.

Here's one thing I'll say about Piper - he was the ONE GUY who could draw a full house whether he was a heel or a hero. Hogan only drew well as a good guy, Flair as a bad guy - Piper drew whichever side he was on.

RIP Hot Rod.

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
I thought Hogan drew well as the leader of the n.W.o, or was that more of people loving the "cool bad guy" image that group gave off and The Hulkster just rode the coattails?

RIP Hot Rod. I know it's cliche to say it but I'll say it anyways, there will never be another one quite like Piper. Just when you knew the answers....

alabama mike1

All-American
Jul 12, 2013
Ohio
Just read about his death on the AP wire. He and Hogan had some classic matches. Sorry to hear about his death.

sabanball

All-American
Jan 4, 2006
High Cotton
One heckuva entertainer! RIP Piper GOD speed sir

Piper delivering one of the best lines EVAH..."They Live"-directed by John Carpenter

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I thought Hogan drew well as the leader of the n.W.o, or was that more of people loving the "cool bad guy" image that group gave off and The Hulkster just rode the coattails?
that was more of a group thing at the time. Bad guys got to be "in" as Vince McMahon's screwing of Bret Hart proved conclusively. Also, they had shows where Hogan wasn't on and they drew as well as when he was. He made a ton of cash as a good guy, no question. Flair drew as a bad guy. But as I said - Piper drew as both.

One other guy who I'd have to look at the numbers on is Macho Man Savage. I think an argument could be made for him as both a good and bad guy - his misfortune was that Hogan drew better.

RIP Hot Rod. I know it's cliche to say it but I'll say it anyways, there will never be another one quite like Piper. Just when you knew the answers....
No, there won't. That guy was BAR NONE the best talker there ever was in wrestling. Flair was a better combination of mic work and ring work, but Roddy beat him easily at talking.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
that was more of a group thing at the time. Bad guys got to be "in" as Vince McMahon's screwing of Bret Hart proved conclusively. Also, they had shows where Hogan wasn't on and they drew as well as when he was. He made a ton of cash as a good guy, no question. Flair drew as a bad guy. But as I said - Piper drew as both.

One other guy who I'd have to look at the numbers on is Macho Man Savage. I think an argument could be made for him as both a good and bad guy - his misfortune was that Hogan drew better.

No, there won't. That guy was BAR NONE the best talker there ever was in wrestling. Flair was a better combination of mic work and ring work, but Roddy beat him easily at talking.
To me Piper just didn't have the charisma Macho Man, Hulk Hogan and Rick Flare had. Those three are the best entertainers ever in that "sport" IMHO.

crimson fan man

Hall of Fame
Aug 12, 2002
Athens Al
My oldest son loved the wrestlers from this group. He has most of the rubber action dolls of them from the eighties. I know roddy Piper was one of those. Most of the ones he has is dead. I guess hogan and maybe a couple of others is the only ones left. We have them boxed up just saving them for him I guess when he decides to get them.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.