Restaurants in Destin/Navarre area recommendations

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
I'll second, third, and fourth both the Stinky's Fish Camp and The Red Bar options. :)

There are really a ton of good eats all along 30A. Heading east from Destin, just before you get to 30A, there's The Donut Hole on the right. Yes, there's one in Destin proper but, in my opinion, the one near 30A is consistently better and - even though it's usually quite busy, you seem to be able to get a seat faster. You'll probably want to order either "The Everything" or "The Diet Plate" - which is anything but diet friendly. :) Once you hit 30A, you'll pass Stinky's just before you get to Dune Allen Beach proper where you've got a neat little area called Gulf Place Town Center - which has a decent little coffee shop, a pretty good pizza place (Pizza by the Sea), and one amazing cafe, The Perfect Pig. Just down the road, in Blue Mountain Beach, is the Blue Mountain Beach Creamery - great ice cream. There's also a not-so-authentic Irish Pub, Johnny McTighe's, which is nothing special but for some reason one of my regular stops. Nick's and The Bowery are also nice stops. The next stop is Grayton Beach, a little hippie-esque community - which happens to be the oldest community along 30A - that is the home of The Red Bar and Shorty's, which are both very good. Out on 98, a little farther east, is the Grayton Beer Company - home of the 30A Beach Blonde Ale - with a pretty good taproom which is sadly only open Thursday through Saturday. The next stop down 30A is Seaside, where The Truman Show was filmed, which has a selection of "permanent" gourmet food trucks, all of which seem to be great, and Bud and Alley's - whose roof-top bar is usually hopping.

Back in Destin, a few of our favorite stops are Cheeseburger in Paradise, The Back Porch, and Pompano Joe's. Cheeseburger in Paradise has some good food but the best part is just sitting at the bar watching the girls toss full 16-24 ounce beers around - from one side of the bar to the other - as part of the beer delivery process. Thus far I've only seen one beer dropped. :) The Back Porch and Pompano Joe's are both best for early evening dinners, say trying to get seated around 6:30, as the beach views around that time may actually be better than the food.

Edit: A note about Shorty's and Grayton Beach... There are a few charter fishermen that work out of Grayton Beach which have a sort of "deal" with Shorty's. Once you're done fishing the Captain will drop you off back at Grayton Beach at Shorty's where you'll presumably have a few beers while waiting for him to clean and prep your catch. Once he's done, you can even have Shorty's cook you a meal using some of the fish you just caught! Once you factor in the cost of the meal, the beers, and the charter it's a very expensive meal but it's a really great, fun, neat experience and you'll probably have a cooler full of fresh-caught Gulf fish to take home with you.

Last edited:

exiledNms

Hall of Fame
Aug 2, 2002
Hattiesburg, MS (USA)
My Mom's place has always been pretty consistently good, but I think she only serves family members now. :biggrin2: (I grew up in Ft Walton Beach).

You already have my faves recommended here (Crab Trap, Back Porch, Harbor Docks, Dewey Destin's). If you get over into FWB, there's a good place north on Eglin Parkway (85) called Tommy Matonie's. He was a year ahead of me in HS, & his food's very good. But it's on up into FWB; not a quick trip from Destin.

Have a blast! Also, since I haven't made it home in quite a while, wave across the Bay at Mom for me, would ya? ;))

SavannahDare

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Gulf Breeze, Florida
I was VERY unimpressed with Old Bay Steamer. Very.

If you come over to Pensacola, eat at McGuire's (can't speak for the one in Destin) or do yourself a real favor and eat at Five Sisters' Blues Café. You can also head out to Pensacola Beach and eat at Peg-leg Pete's.

In Navarre, try East River Smokehouse BBQ.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I was VERY unimpressed with Old Bay Steamer. Very.

If you come over to Pensacola, eat at McGuire's (can't speak for the one in Destin) or do yourself a real favor and eat at Five Sisters' Blues Café. You can also head out to Pensacola Beach and eat at Peg-leg Pete's.

In Navarre, try East River Smokehouse BBQ.
thanks Staci. I will avoid Old Bay Steamer. I might try Five Sister's. I might not head over to Navarre this time. I will head that way in couple of months when my free hotel gets back in to Navarre.

side note for everyone: what should I check out while I am there nonfood related?

SavannahDare

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Gulf Breeze, Florida
If the Blue Wahoos are in town and playing, you might want to drive over to Pensacola and take in a game. The baseball stadium is absolutely lovely and just a short walk from old downtown, which is also a beautiful area in which to stroll. Lots of museums, bars, shops.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
If the Blue Wahoos are in town and playing, you might want to drive over to Pensacola and take in a game. The baseball stadium is absolutely lovely and just a short walk from old downtown, which is also a beautiful area in which to stroll. Lots of museums, bars, shops.

thanks again. we have missed you around here

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Family and I spent last week in PCB and had dinner most nights down on 30A.

As others have mentioned, the Red Bar is awesome. Killer Mahi-Mahi. George's in Alys Beach was also great, but on the very pricey side. Shades is good if you like bar food.

CrimsonSnake

3rd Team
Aug 21, 2002
Huntsville, ALABAMA, USA
Try The Surf Hut in Destin. We went on the recommendation of friends and if we had gone the 1st night out down there we would've gone back, but we went the last night out.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

exiledNms

Hall of Fame
Aug 2, 2002
Hattiesburg, MS (USA)
i wonder if I have to buy some jorts? is it a state requirement?
I haven't lived in FL in a long time, but I think this is only a requirement if you're attending a football game in the Swamp at Gainesville. (As is genuflecting at the statue of St. Tim right outside the stadium.) You should be OK. ;) :biggrin2:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.