Restaurants in Destin/Navarre area recommendations

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Old Bay Steamer in Ft. Walton Beach. Dewey Destin's, Captain Dave's and Harbor Dock's in Destin. And yes Louisianna Lagniappe is a fine choice also.
I know Captain Dave's. They have a lot of Jaws II stuff up on the walls because they filmed some of it there. It has been years since I went there. I thought a hurricane took it out?

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
The Back Porch is more commercial these days, but the food is still consistently good. The wait can be long, but there's a bar on the beach. I always order blackened chargrilled shrimp.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I will only be in Destin now. and i have to pay for a hotel. I have an uncle who lives in Holley, but unfortunately he will be out of town for the next 2 months. not leaving until Wednesday.

thanks for all the recommendations. I might just hit them all. Can any of you recommend something other than seafood?

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Bubba Gump/Backporch/AJs are the places we always hit in Destin. I'm not a big seafood eater and I always find something good to eat at all 3 of those places..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
I will only be in Destin now. and i have to pay for a hotel. I have an uncle who lives in Holley, but unfortunately he will be out of town for the next 2 months. not leaving until Wednesday.

thanks for all the recommendations. I might just hit them all. Can any of you recommend something other than seafood?
If you like "white table cloth", give Marina Cafe a try. The decor is a little tired, but the place has a good view of the harbor and serves very good food including non-seafood items.

Don Pedro's Cantina (Miramar Beach) is a good place for Mexican. My family has eaten there several times, and we've always enjoyed what we've had.

If you crave pizza at any time, give Jordano's Pizza & More a try (again, Miramar Beach). It's best for take out or delivery. My family has ordered several pizzas from Jordano's.

http://www.jordanospizzaandmore.com/index.html

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
Go down Highway 98 to Red Bar in Greyton Beach.
Agreed. Food is good, but atmosphere is better, especially late on a weekend. The restaurant yields to a party atmosphere. Celebs have been known to show up on occasion, as several own homes in the area.

I thought that would get your attention. Also Stinky's Fish Camp on highway 30A and in Destin http://www.thelouisianalagniappe.com/destin/
Never eaten at Stinky's but I've heard it's excellent.

McGuire's Irish Pub

Something different, but oh so good.
Great steaks.

Old Bay Steamer in Ft. Walton Beach. Dewey Destin's, Captain Dave's and Harbor Dock's in Destin. And yes Louisianna Lagniappe is a fine choice also.
Dewey Destin's is a local favorite - always a long wait for a table. I've always thought the food was fare to good, but never quite understood the mystique, other than it's right on Destin Pass, and lots of boaters just pull up to the Dewey Destin's dock and grab a bite. Still, you ought to try it at least once if you want to see where many Destin insiders go.

The Back Porch is more commercial these days, but the food is still consistently good. The wait can be long, but there's a bar on the beach. I always order blackened chargrilled shrimp.
Agreed on the touristy atmosphere. But also agreed on the quality of the food. I've always liked their grub.

Probably best to skip Navarre for cuisine. Nothing really here worth shaking a stick at. However, there is a tiny little place in a Navarre strip mall called The Rib Shack that'll give you a half rack St. Louis style with all the fixins for around $13. Some of the best ribs I've had outside of home-cooked. Along those lines, Buck's Smokehouse in Destin was recently named one of the 10 best BBQ joints in the country. Having heard that, I gave it a try. It was good, but I don't see "one of the 10 best".

If you want to try something a bit more upscale and eccentric, try Hemingway's Island Grill on Pensacola Beach. Very good creole/caribbean cuisine. Seafood themed, but not what you'll get at traditional seafood joints. Be prepared for heat though - nearly every entree comes with plenty of it. A small little place called The Native Cafe on Pensacola Beach is a local secret. Great breakfast and lunch/dinner menu. Kind of a casual artsy, beachy feel to the place. Often crowded with locals.

As an Alabama fan and a southerner, you have to try Mary's Kitchen in Ft. Walton Beach's Uptown Plaza, another local favorite. Excellent southern food - normal fare - pork chops, catfish, BBQ, fried green tomatoes, fried pickles, greens, homemade banana pudding, etc. Huge servings at an awesome price. Plus, the owners are big Bama fans and there's Bama memorabilia and pictures on the walls. Also often crowded with locals.

If you make it as far west as Pensacola, try The Fish House. Probably the best seafood joint around, in my opinion. They've been featured on Andrew Zimmern's Bizarre Foods show (34:40 below). Not that the food is bizzarre - it's just good.

Edit: One last recommendation. As long as you're in Destin, stop by Shake's Frozen Custard and get a Shakes's Bopper. Yummy.

Second edit: How could I forget?! The one shining star in Navarre is a tiny roadside place on the south side of Hwy 98 called Shark Bite. Outstanding breakfast burritos and fish/shrimp/pork tacos for lunch. Very unique and tasty flavor combos. Owner/operators are personal friends transplanted from California, and they bring a California cuisine flair to their breakfast burritos and lunch tacos. I can't really describe how fresh everything tastes. Recommended: Big Country Breakfast Burrito and Caribbean Jerk Pork Tacos.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.