UFC: Rousey vs. Correia...don't poke the bear!

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Not a big fan necessarily but in the off season I'll watch almost anything sports-related.

So last night was the UFC women's bantamweight title fight between champion Ronda Rousey and challenger Bethe Correia.

Correia is Brazilian and talks a lot of smack.....writing checks she cannot cash......but worst of all.......she poked the bear!

34 seconds later......she was done!

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
It's not exactly the same as "don't poke the bear", but in our house, we have the phrase "don't pet the shark". It means, even if your intentions are good, don't mess with something you have no business messing with. :wink: More analogous to "let sleeping dogs lie", I guess.

Rousey is just ridiculous. I can't think of any current athlete who's as far ahead of their competition as she is. It's just amazing.

Last edited:

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
It's not exactly the same as "don't poke the bear", but in our house, we have the phrase "don't pet the shark". It means, even if your intentions are good, don't mess with something you have no business messing with. :wink: More analogous to "let sleeping dogs lie", I guess.

Rousey is just ridiculous. I can't think of any current athlete who's as far ahead of their competition as she is. It's just amazing.
Well I guess when you're a Catfish....you have to watch out more for sharks than bears!

I agree about Rousey....she's 10 gallons o'whupass in a 5 gallon bucket. For women fighters, she is the standard that the others are measured by and fail to meet...

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
There is only one woman right now that could possibly even come close to beating Ronda and that is Cyborg Santos. He/she would still have a hard time beating Ronda, even if he/she can make 135 pounds which he/she has never done. She's trying to bait Ronda into a catchweight fight but that is dumb and wouldn't sell as much if it was a title fight. It was s-aaaaaaaa-wheat to see Ronda shut up that big mouth, big nosed woman last night. She thought she was bad until Ronda walked through her punches and put her flat on her face:biggrin:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
There is only one woman right now that could possibly even come close to beating Ronda and that is Cyborg Santos. He/she would still have a hard time beating Ronda, even if he/she can make 135 pounds which he/she has never done. She's trying to bait Ronda into a catchweight fight but that is dumb and wouldn't sell as much if it was a title fight. It was s-aaaaaaaa-wheat to see Ronda shut up that big mouth, big nosed woman last night. She thought she was bad until Ronda walked through her punches and put her flat on her face:biggrin:
The only people that could beat Ronda is cyborg and carano. That is more because they are better brawlers and bigger girls than her. Ronda is just too powerful and too good with her ground game to be beaten by girls of her size. It would either take a lucky shot or an extreme overlook on Ronda's part for her to lose. I think if Sara mcmann and cat might be her best competition matchup wise for her, but they didn't last long at all. Miesha has taken her the farthest, but she is extremely outclassed so that's not saying much.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Only thing is, Carano is not fighting and could barely make 145 much less 140 (catchweight) or 135. That dude Cyborg will have issues too.

Sent from my LG G2 4GLTE via Verizon

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Love MMA and the UFC. Have watched every UFC since about UFC 70ish. Ronda is great for the sport. So is Connor McGregor. My two favorite fighters right now. UFC has just about overtaken football as my favorite sport because it is year around. There is at least one, but usually multiple, very good fight cards every month. It doesn't just go away for 7-8 months like football does every year..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Only thing is, Carano is not fighting and could barely make 145 much less 140 (catchweight) or 135. That dude Cyborg will have issues too.

Sent from my LG G2 4GLTE via Verizon
Carano did indicate she still trains when the roussey vs carano rumors were happening. So I think she could fight her if she got a tune up fight first. I actually think cyborg vs roussey isn't going to happen and I think Rhonda is hoping it doesn't. Roussey didn't start talking crap until dana made it clear he wasn't interested in a catch weight due to cyborg's hgh situation. And keep in mind cyborg is the only one to beat roussey's hero, carano. Roussey is being brave from afar IMO because I think if they did fight you would have a 155 vs 140 weight by the time of the fight and that strongly favors cyborg

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Cyborg will never make 35 and they will never do a catchweight fight because Ronda loses no matter what. If she wins everyone on Cyborg's side will say the weightcut killed him. If Cyborg happens to win then Ronda loses her appeal like Carano did after Cyborg beat her.

Carano does still train, and yes she lost to that dude Cyborg but you have to remember back then the classes were NOT deep at all. Carano I seriously doubt would be a top 4 fighter in 135 today in the UFC. I still don't understand why the UFC doesn't have a 45 class to try and entice Carano over because she'll NEVER make 135. She had major problems making 145 when she was fighting.

I think all of this is worthless though simply because Cyborg will never make 135. I think it's funny though that he claims he can make a 140 catchweight but can't cut 5 more and fight at 35. If you want to go after the champ, you don't tell them to come to you and even move up in weight just to fight you. Rousey is the 135lbs UFC champ, and if that dude Cyborg wants the 135lbs belt he MUST go after Rousey at 135lbs. Otherwise it is all excuses. I don't care what Rousey said before this and/or her saying she would do a catchweight fight with Carano, because at this point she can pick and choose who she fights and at what weight. I don't blame her for making that dude Cyborg make 135 and fight before he can even get a shot at her!!

But as I said, I don't see Rousey fighting Carano or Cyborg because neither can make 140 or 135.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Cyborg will never make 35 and they will never do a catchweight fight because Ronda loses no matter what. If she wins everyone on Cyborg's side will say the weightcut killed him. If Cyborg happens to win then Ronda loses her appeal like Carano did after Cyborg beat her.

Carano does still train, and yes she lost to that dude Cyborg but you have to remember back then the classes were NOT deep at all. Carano I seriously doubt would be a top 4 fighter in 135 today in the UFC. I still don't understand why the UFC doesn't have a 45 class to try and entice Carano over because she'll NEVER make 135. She had major problems making 145 when she was fighting.

I think all of this is worthless though simply because Cyborg will never make 135. I think it's funny though that he claims he can make a 140 catchweight but can't cut 5 more and fight at 35. If you want to go after the champ, you don't tell them to come to you and even move up in weight just to fight you. Rousey is the 135lbs UFC champ, and if that dude Cyborg wants the 135lbs belt he MUST go after Rousey at 135lbs. Otherwise it is all excuses. I don't care what Rousey said before this and/or her saying she would do a catchweight fight with Carano, because at this point she can pick and choose who she fights and at what weight. I don't blame her for making that dude Cyborg make 135 and fight before he can even get a shot at her!!

But as I said, I don't see Rousey fighting Carano or Cyborg because neither can make 140 or 135.
Also add the fact that dana doesn't allow super fights happen since silva beat griffin, and he likes the appeal of unbeatable champs. Seriously silva vs gsp or silva vs jones should've happened but dana kept feeding his prized attraction chumps until one finally got a lucky shot and in the rematch got a gruesome leg check. Now you have a middle weight champ that no one respects and one of the greatest fighters ever a shell of himself due to an injury.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.