Video: Alabama Freshman Quarterback Blake Barnett Has A Ridiculously Strong Arm | Col

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Back in '82, I used to be able to throw a pigskin a quarter mile.
That's cause you got some good skills. "You know like nunchuck skills, bow hunting skills, computer hacking skills. Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills!"

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
The QB has to be able to make the throws. But within limits of acceptable competence, arm strength is way overrated in terms of being a predictor of on-field performance.

Foe example, Brodie Croyle had without question the strongest arm of any Alabama QB in my 50+ season memory. But that didn't translate into on-field success. Granted, his surrounding talent wasn't what we've had since his exit. But that arm strength also didn't buy success in the NFL.

Arm strength is nice, but accuracy and decision-making are far more important.

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004
I'd prefer an accurate, quick release over a cannon. Generally cannons take a while to load up, but the super quick release accurate throws will eat up a defense. If you can reliably put a ball over the outside shoulder of a receiver at 40 yards while they are on a fly route, you can win any game you want.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
He took two steps and threw it seventy yards. I only posted this because everyone assumed Coker had the only NFL sized arm on the team, which doesn't appear to be the case given this demonstration. Of course there's more to passing than just throwing it far or hard, he's also at the camp of the guru you see on ESPN. Maybe it will be a three horse race.

Roll Tide 57

1st Team
Oct 20, 2014
Plant City FL
I'm expecting a surprise at QB. Kiffin is going to surprise a lot of folks. I'm not saying Coker is out but something will be different with him we have not seen.

The ole just don't mess it up QB's at Bama days are done with Kiffin's offense, he's looking for playmakers.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
He took two steps and threw it seventy yards. I only posted this because everyone assumed Coker had the only NFL sized arm on the team, which doesn't appear to be the case given this demonstration. Of course there's more to passing than just throwing it far or hard, he's also at the camp of the guru you see on ESPN. Maybe it will be a three horse race.
I don't recall many folks saying Coker is the only QB with a NFL arm on the team. Cornwell has a pretty solid arm, too.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Brodie Croyle had without question the strongest arm of any Alabama QB in my 50+ season memory. But that didn't translate into on-field success. Granted, his surrounding talent wasn't what we've had since his exit. But that arm strength also didn't buy success in the NFL.
Brodie was a good college quarterback though and would have had a lot of success at Alabama had there been a better supporting cast. At to NFL success, he did start in the NFL, but I don't think it means anything one way or the other when measuring how good a guy will be in college. Vince Young was great in college.

The thing about Blake is he has that arm... he knows how to run, and he's bigger/faster than AJ or GMac. That's a potent combination. He has size, strength, and speed. That doesn't guarantee success of course, but it sure could make it much easier to attain.

Last edited:

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Brodie probably would have had more success on another team, other than the Chiefs. But I don't think he was ever truly NFL starter material. He had an NFL arm though. Just not NFL knees.

I'm looking forward to seeing how Barnett will develop, and cautiously optimistic about Coker and Cornwell.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.